Position 2023 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WEST Coast midfielder Campbell Chesser lifted his workload at training on Monday as the prized youngster builds towards an overdue return to the main group this pre-season.

Chesser remains on a managed program as he works his way back from serious bone and ligament damage in his right ankle last February, with the Eagles taking a cautious approach with their first-round pick from the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

The classy right footer spent time with the rehab group during last week's return to training but appeared to step things up on Monday, taking part in several drills before completing his own running session.

The 19-year-old moved well at Mineral Resources Park and put his kicking skills on show before he was moved to the sidelines during higher intensity ball-movement work.

The Eagles' senior midfielders are in good shape, with premiership pair Dom Sheed and Andrew Gaffimpressing after strong outings during last Friday's match simulation session.

Dual club champion Elliot Yeo has clearly taken a step forward after being managed before the Christmas break. He completed Monday's session with the main group and showed his powerful attributes on several occasions.

Captain Luke Shuey spent much of Monday's session running laps but could return to spend time with the main group by the end of the week.

Among the draftees, big-bodied midfielder Reuben Ginbey appeared at home moving through the midfield contests, while small forward Noah Long has excited the club with his potential early.

Sounds good.

But we need to know one thing. How fast can Dom Toretto Bedendo run a quarter mile?

d545ff3c-4950-4c43-b8c7-533cda27964c_text.gif

Quoting something from the dross that is Fast & Spurious.

200w.gif

Keep an eye on Dominic Bedendo. Third year, 123k, played a couple of games as a forward last year but seems to be aiming for a wing role this year. Dogs fans are super excited about him.

Problem is bevo.

MELBOURNE key forward Tom McDonald has returned to full fitness to start 2023 after a Lisfranc injury ruined his 2022, while untried teenager Jacob van Rooyen continues to impress during his second pre-season at the club.

After coming close to making his debut late in his first season at the club, Van Rooyen has been one of Melbourne's most eye-catching performers across the first half of the summer, mounting an early case for a debut when the Demons host the Western Bulldogs on the first Saturday night of the season.
The 19-year-old kicked 36 goals from 18 appearances in the VFL last year, including hauls of six, five and four goals,

Does everyone think that Ashcroft is a must? I get that he could go off Walsh/Barlow style in terms of first year scoring, but he’s going to be playing in an absolutely stacked team. Part of me wants to put him in as everyone else will have him, but if I give him the flick I could have Cunnington at F4, Salem/Berg at D4 or Green at M5 with Hopper M6. He’s not like a base price rookie as if he starts like a house on fire everyone will be fielding him and will be banking his scores. It’s such a hard call

Does everyone think that Ashcroft is a must? I get that he could go off Walsh/Barlow style in terms of first year scoring, but he’s going to be playing in an absolutely stacked team. Part of me wants to put him in as everyone else will have him, but if I give him the flick I could have Cunnington at F4, Salem/Berg at D4 or Green at M5 with Hopper M6. He’s not like a base price rookie as if he starts like a house on fire everyone will be fielding him and will be banking his scores. It’s such a hard call
Personally I think I'll be leaving him out because as you say, he'll be playing in a stacked team that just added Dunkley on top of an already strong midfield. I see him scoring more like a JHF than a Walsh/Rowell.

Have a really good look at his averages from last season. Off the top of my head, even his VFL scores whilst playing with Brisbane's Reserves were around the 110 mark, and included a 3 vote game IIRC. If he is even partly involved throughout an entire game, and with Brisbane winning more games than losing, I reckon he averages 80+.

Is it enough when a $123k avg 60 or whatever it may be makes the same amount of money? Maybe not

No.

Have a really good look at his averages from last season. Off the top of my head, even his VFL scores whilst playing with Brisbane's Reserves were around the 110 mark, and included a 3 vote game IIRC. If he is even partly involved throughout an entire game, and with Brisbane winning more games than losing, I reckon he averages 80+.

Is it enough when a $123k avg 60 or whatever it may be makes the same amount of money? Maybe not
One argument for starting him is he will be difficult to get with a rookie adjustment if he starts well. Might be simpler to start him and adjust down if he spuds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One argument for starting him is he will be difficult to get with a rookie adjustment if he starts well. Might be simpler to start him and adjust down if he spuds.
With Ashcroft ....some are predicting a HB role with occasional minutes in the midfield ....and an average of 85-90

Personally, I thought he may have played more Wing than HB

1674169123675.png

Last edited:
Just had a match sim and Drury did very well (similar to previous match sims and training reports).

He is doing very well off HB in the match sims according to track watchers. Was drafted as a small linking half-forward/mid type, but has been moved to HB and is doing very well. Reports are that he is very clean, rebounds well, repeat efforts, good tank and getting a stack of footy. One to watch in the lead up to Round One. Considering how much the ball is likely to spend in North's defence this year, he can potentially be a nice little money maker. Same with Goater.

While not all SC rookie or cash cow relevant, Drury, Phillips, Archer, Powell, Curtis and Goater been the main standouts from a youth perspective this summer for North

Goater has been playing HB with spurts on the wing and has noticeably added a lot of size without losing pace. Phillips has finally gotten a full run at a preseason and is showing up a few veterans in match sims. Likewise with Powell, who struggled under Noble leaving him on a flank in the ones. Not that he's super SC relevant, but Jackson Archer has bolted out of nowhere fitness/strength wise and has impressed track watchers. While an awkward mid SC price, Paul Curtis is noticeably bigger, been given midfield time and is doing well in the match sims.

Sheezel has added size and definition to his upper body over the break. Will play a few AFL level games this year.

Doubtful that Wardlaw will play much at the higher level due to a lack of fitness and injury recovery (somewhat similar to Will Phillips initial post-draft) and is still in the rehab group. Due to the nature of his injury, George will also be lucky to play a handful of two's towards the end of the season.

Drury, Sheezel and Goater are your best options for North rookies atm. Sheezel if you need a forward rookie, but not sure how many games he will get this year.

Last edited:
I’m kind
of leaning down this path - my thought process now is that whoever I can bring in with him out won’t end up a keeper, so I’d be trading anyway, and after reading the common sense comments above it’s hard not to see him getting up to $400k + plus pretty easily. Still, temptation is there...just to be different.

I’m kind

of leaning down this path - my thought process now is that whoever I can bring in with him out won’t end up a keeper, so I’d be trading anyway, and after reading the common sense comments above it’s hard not to see him getting up to $400k + plus pretty easily. Still, temptation is there...just to be different.
Just made a team actually with him at D7 - forward, rucks and mids are set, it’s defence I’m not sold on but all rookie players should play based on current reports. Been tracking the BigFooty.com feeds like crazy

Former Collingwood key defender Mark Keane is joining Adelaide.
Reported in Irish media this morning.

Cork's Mark Keane ready to join Adelaide Crows for second spell Down Under

Cork's Mark Keane ready to join Adelaide Crows for second spell Down Under

Ummm yeah if Collingwood goes so far as to delist a player, you can take it to the bank that they won't make it.

Geez we give spuds multiple chances.

If Keane is ever relevant I'll eat some large-headed kent's hat

Ummm yeah if Collingwood goes so far as to delist a player, you can take it to the bank that they won't make it.

Geez we give spuds multiple chances.

If Keane is ever relevant I'll eat some large-headed kent's hat
Cheap and will play in the reserves all year. I wouldn't read too much into it. Definitely not SC relevant, that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back