Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne trade Pick 15+23+34 for Suns Pick:6

Melbourne trade Pick 4+6 for West Coasts Pick 1

Thats what I see happening. Would leave West Coast with picks 4,6,19,36,38,55. Would love to target that 36 from West Coast.
they miss the top three picks - no Reid Watson or Curtin - thats a disaster

Guys bear in mind, Purple is a North supporter. Of course he's going to campaign for Band 1 compo for a spud like McKay.
Been mentioned on 3 different media outlets this week by completely different commentators. Reckon the afl are prepping the narrative 😤

Barrett should stop sniffing paint thinners. AFL will give the compo depending on the size of the contract and salary offered. I can not see any club offering McKay a 5 year contract at over 750K a season. He hardly gets on the ground, and when he does he is like a tree.
The “successful” club, from all reports Essendon, will pay in excess of $750k per annum in the first year in order to qualify and justify the continued leg up to North by the AFL. Expect North to get pick 3.

They will get other compensation. They will continue to have their hand out. The hawks will yet again suffer.

Adjustments to their cap floor and ceiling, development incentives and investment into infrastructure make so much sense. I'd even be happy if part of my membership $ went to paying for it.

We can't have teams as depressing as North stinking up the joint. Assistance is required, but an extra 1 or 2 high draft picks ain't going to do a thing.
We've had a club up north stinking it up like North for bloody years. The afl just keep throwing picks at them...

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

North are 100% going to get Sanders for free and then Pick 3 from FA as compensation without making it look like a priority pick. For that spud. 3x10 top picks for the basket case that brags about how strong their core and culture is under Clarkson then cry for handouts.

Hope Gowers is on the blower to his best mate Dillon

Love the commentary about how North have been on the bottom for far too long and need help.

2019: Hawthorn 9th North 12th
2020: Hawthorn 15th North 17th
2021: Hawthorn 14th North 18th
2022: Hawthorn 13th North 18th
2023: Hawthorn 16th North 17th

So where's our help? Nar instead we get the opposite of flog window peak arguing for draft pick penalties

Even if North were to get Pick 3, it’s one pick move for us. We’re still getting one of McKercher, Watson or Curtin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep we all know it’s a joke. But in part it’s a response to the fundamental inequities in the design of list management techniques. Until they fix the underlying problems this will only get worse. If you can’t change free agency sending good players to top clubs you have to counterbalance and the only lever for bottom clubs is cap space. The pay for picks must come in immediately to make progress. In addition as I have said many times, the draft is not a good equalisation measure hence why clubs that rebuild take forever to do so and are often unsuccessful. Put simply, this year the difference between the eagles and pies is pick 1, that’s it. The remaining picks go 18/19, 36/37 etc. so for west coast to bridge the gap next year they get one player. Until you do something like give the non finals clubs the first 20 picks (1/11, 2/12 etc) so they get 2 players instead of one before the finals teams (feel free to come up with a better idea) then it’s a farce.

We'd end up with Curtin. They'd take the other 2.
unless west coast take curtin at 1

Just had the thought though if Norf get 2 and 3 and take Watson and McKercher then we could take Curtin and Maybe if we got a salary dump pick in the 8-12 range got Archer Reid along with McCabe then we are suddenly no longer lacking talls and can hunt a small forward in Free agency

This doesn't really make sense. Whatever we'd need to bundle with pick 3 would obviously be less than whatever a club with a lesser first round pick would need to bundle with it.

Pick 3 also comes with a higher degree of certainty over who will be available than pick 10 does. After Reid and the academy players are ruled out they'd have their choice of whoever they want providing North doesn't select them. Pick 10? Who knows who will still be there.

Really comes down to whether or not West Coast are set on a top 5 talent in this draft, or if they're happy to maximise their overall value at the expense of being able to walk away on draft night claiming they think they still got the best kid in the draft.
What i meant about pick 10 was not how much they will pay but them getting into the top end of the draft. The difference in talent in this draft is much larger between 1 and 10 than 1 and 3

The “successful” club, from all reports Essendon, will pay in excess of $750k per annum in the first year in order to qualify and justify the continued leg up to North by the AFL. Expect North to get pick 3.

They will get other compensation. They will continue to have their hand out. The hawks will yet again suffer.
The successful club that has paid for how many free agents in recent times? for how much? they have road blocked and hindered their club's development AKA The Dodo :D and we love that BTW.

We won't suffer Tops, we are smarter than that, the hypocrisy of the AFL will continue to disenfranchise and disrespect the footy loving public which will further ostracise the brand.

Hell, even the Scott brothers have come out, calling out the compromised integrity of the competition (segway Geepong have used it well, Steve Hocking, example A and A is for arsehole) let the AFL play their cards and we will respond accordingly.

I have faith that our selection of draftee's, development of those players is now second to none and that our vision for the future is solid.

BTW - bring on the next Hawks, the marketability of the Hawks now as a young developing team is attractive to any nominee.

IF North get pick 3 for McKay we should file a lawsuit for our lack of compensation for Buddy! Remind me was it a late 1st rounder for a top 5 all-time goal kicker?

North getting horseshyte compensation would be laughable.

But at the end of the day it wouldn't affect us in any way if we trade up with WCE. It would give us more incentive to try.

Another slightly less palatable scenario would be North trading both to WCE to move up. If the AFL are going to be puppet masters and give such a huge handout, then I hope they take the next step and force North to trade them to WCE.

When discussing Esava Ratugolea on the Gettable podcast, Cal mentioned “Keep your eyes on the hawks”.

North getting horseshyte compensation would be laughable.

But at the end of the day it wouldn't affect us in any way if we trade up with WCE. It would give us more incentive to try.

Another slightly less palatable scenario would be North trading both to WCE to move up. If the AFL are going to be puppet masters and give such a huge handout, then I hope they take the next step and force North to trade them to WCE.
Nth having 2 and 3 would almost force our (and west coasts) hand.
If they want Curtain plus extras we become their only hope.

North won't risk go home factor so will take McKercher and Watson (forget tassie)and might get Saunders as well.
I don't think the take Watson on his own but getting the other 2 mids means they will roll the dice as a point of difference.

No Watson means we way up Reid or Curtain. West Coast might be willing to deal if the mermerings about Reid are true and they really want Curtain.

This is a fun game.

Last edited:
When discussing Esava Ratugolea on the Gettable podcast, Cal mentioned “Keep your eyes on the hawks”.

I would only target Ratugolea if the club see’s him playing as a key defender. He’s not a good key forward/second ruck at all.

It's this. You can feel it.

But how?

That requires a club to pay McKay $700+ over three years.

Like who in their right mind would do that?
Edit: bombers. Oh well I'll enjoy laughing at them with this.

If it did happen...

I couldn't possibly see North passing on Curtain with two top five picks given their key position stocks are worse than even us.

If we felt North would take Watson and Curtain, than it becomes interesting if we do indeed go hard for Reid given his ability across all lines unlike McKercher.

Duurmsma isn't the type of player you use a top 5 pick on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back