Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is strong conjecture that Port will pickup Esava Ratugolia (25yrs, 198cms, 108kg) at the end of the year after unsuccessfully trying to prise him from Geelong last year.

I hope the Hawks have also put their hat in the ring for his services. Esava has great hands and, for mine, would be a walk up start as a KPF in our 22. Let Lewis roam at CHF while Esava stays near goal to be our bull FF.

His adaptability gives him great value. He slaughtered our VFL team last year as a KPD and has shown he can be a good KPD at AFL level. Further, in a pinch, he can also ruck.
The Cats have SDK, Stewart, Cameron and Hawkins (a formidable 4) keeping him out of the Cats lineup and, as he is out of contract at the end of this year, he is ripe for the picking.

Surely the Hawks could out-bid Port for a Swiss-army knife, 3 in one player (… well, more accurately … maybe a 2.5 in one player).

The fact that he is out of contract, the Hawks likely ability to front load an offer, and our being 3rd last on the ladder means that the trade cost should be manageable.

I’m a huge fan of Esava and would love to see him in Hawthorn colours.

To be clear, I have not read or heard a peep about this happening. I just wish that it is.
Esava isn’t a key forward. He’d be delisted already if it wasn’t for his form as a defender.

Even then he’s only good under a high ball. Very similar to McKay. Not when he has to defend a man.

There is strong conjecture that Port will pickup Esava Ratugolia (25yrs, 198cms, 108kg) at the end of the year after unsuccessfully trying to prise him from Geelong last year.

I hope the Hawks have also put their hat in the ring for his services. Esava has great hands and, for mine, would be a walk up start as a KPF in our 22. Let Lewis roam at CHF while Esava stays near goal to be our bull FF.

His adaptability gives him great value. He slaughtered our VFL team last year as a KPD and has shown he can be a good KPD at AFL level. Further, in a pinch, he can also ruck.
The Cats have SDK, Stewart, Cameron and Hawkins (a formidable 4) keeping him out of the Cats lineup and, as he is out of contract at the end of this year, he is ripe for the picking.

Surely the Hawks could out-bid Port for a Swiss-army knife, 3 in one player (… well, more accurately … maybe a 2.5 in one player).

The fact that he is out of contract, the Hawks likely ability to front load an offer, and our being 3rd last on the ladder means that the trade cost should be manageable.

I’m a huge fan of Esava and would love to see him in Hawthorn colours.

To be clear, I have not read or heard a peep about this happening. I just wish that it is.
Is that you Esava?

Esava isn’t a key forward. He’d be delisted already if it wasn’t for his form as a defender.

Even then he’s only good under a high ball. Very similar to McKay. Not when he has to defend a man.
I appreciate the reply H00t and the discussion.

Geelong held on to Esava when he wanted to leave and Port wanted to take him. Port presumably offered to give up some compensation for a contacted player. Clearly Port value Esava as do Geelong.

Port have Aliir for the high ball in defence and so don’t need Esava in that roll. You might say that Esava is Aliir’s backup but I cannot see Esava agreeing to move states to be a backup. Clearly Port had a different role for Esava in mind. And if the conjecture is correct, they still do. Personally I’d happily have Esava as our guy under the high ball at the Hawks in the backline. That is a 100% option with this guy. It is not the option I stated, but it is his versatilit.

In my opinion Esava would be an excellent bull FF. Geelong already have a FF in Hawkins (who has a few years left) and so cannot use Esava in his best position. And that is the key to good trading = finding players that are played out of position at opposition clubs that could improve our club. It is why we lost Kennedy to Sydney… Sewell had Kennedy’s spot in the midfield and so Kennedy was played out of position.

Rama’s potential is clear for all to see. I have great hopes for his development as a FWD / Ruck. DGB also has the talent.
Maybe Esava can give them both time, and McCabe… to grow into their AFL bodies.

H00t sometimes the guy who is not supposed to be in the grand final teams 22 actually deserves it. Think Spanger.

As stated in the earlier post I have heard nothing and know nothing about this trade concept. I’d pay Esava overs to be at our club.

Last edited:
He would be a welcomed addition, however, Brissy seems keen to keep the kid, I cannot see it happening for myself without a good deal for them, is he then worth the cost?
He's an out of contract victorian that isn't getting played by Brisbane and when he does is being played out of position and as a sub. Had little no impact at AFL level, pick in the 50's is the best they can hope for.

They will take Watson with that second first rounder.

It may cause us to really try to trade up though, which wouldn't be the worst.
North should not, and will not (surely) get a top 10 pick. McKay is a bog-average AFL footballer. He bodies well but is terrible on distribution. At the Hawks he would be behind Blank. Blank is faster, as tall and a better kick. And we all know Blank’s value on the market is not top 10 in the ND

I do not understand why any established teams supporters thinks that they deserve charity from the AFL for their clubs poor decisions. I would be embarrassed if I was a West Coast or North supporter if my club was asking for a hand out.

I was OK with the Suns getting a final leg up. This year’s gifts for the Suns (3 excellent draft prospects) are awesome and should finish their special treatment. Seriously, it is time for the Suns to stand on their own two feet. No more AFL hand-outs. ..They now have the players to be a serious team.

As Buckley said “North deserves nothing“ for their bad choices. But maybe they need something. The Lark medalist is trying to get to them through aboriginality and so maybe (in some non-linear world) that is OK. But, as far as I am concerned, nothing else.

Every concession given to others diminishes the Hawks options.
I’d bleat with gusto but for our father / son McCabe … who is a beauty.

let us be clear on North‘s recent choices: No more than the one who wants to go to them.

Last edited:
North should not, and will not (surely) get a top 10 pick. McKay is a bog-average AFL footballer. He bodies well but is terrible on distribution. At the Hawks he would be behind Blank. Blank is faster, as tall and a better kick. And we all know Blank’s value on the market is not top 10 in the ND

I do not understand why any established teams supporters thinks that they deserve charity from the AFL for their clubs poor decisions. I would be embarrassed if I was a West Coast or North supporter if my club was asking for a hand out.

I was OK with the Suns getting a final leg up. This year’s gifts for the Suns (3 excellent draft prospects) are awesome and should finish their special treatment. Seriously, it is time for the Suns to stand on their own two feet. No more AFL hand-outs.

As Buckley said “North deserves nothing“ for their bad choices. But maybe they need something. The Lark medalist is trying to get to them through aboriginality and so maybe (in some non-linear world) that is OK. But, as far as I am concerned, nothing else.

Every concession given to others diminishes the Hawks options.
I’d bleat with gusto but for our father / son McCabe … who is a beauty.

let us be clear on North‘s recent choices:
And the logic of them getting more top draft picks to help them improve seems flawed when they already have far more high end picks than us and still are a weaker team. Why will another high pick suddenly be the missing ingredient when the previous dozen weren’t!

But if it stops the North pity party for good and all the whining that goes with that, maybe it’s not such a bad outcome for the other 17 teams after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you had to choose between king and naughton who would you pick? Both are out of contract next year. Gotta go with naughton
How often does a highly sought after player at their peak go from one Melbourne club to another? Almost never. King meanwhile will almost certainly want to come back to Melbourne so that’s why we are talking about him.

He's an out of contract victorian that isn't getting played by Brisbane and when he does is being played out of position and as a sub. Had little no impact at AFL level, pick in the 50's is the best they can hope for.
Lohmann has probably shown as much as butler (he’s had a few v good vfl games). Just played less afl games as at a strong club / finals contender. We wouldn’t take a pick in 50s for Butler and Brisbane wouldn’t for lohmann. Both are in 2nd season and guys this eerily in career seem to hold their value.

Guys, if we'd beaten Adelaide, GWS and Richmond like we should have we'd currently be above Fremantle and sitting with pick 4 anyway.

North are going to be given whatever handout they'll be given, and it won't help them in the slightest because their player development is atrocious.

Watson looks immaculate, Curtin could be the next Pav and McKercher is a freak, but even IF North are given pick 3 as a ridiculous 'priority compo', we're still getting one of those players PLUS McCabe into brown and gold.

It's a dodgy system and a bit frustrating, but we'll be fine. It's not worth losing sleep over in July.

You can only control what you can control. At the moment I reckon our recruiting and player development is in a really good place.

If we end up getting the player who is 5th on our list of preferred draftees I still think we'll do really well out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back