Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but Jack Silvagni just seems like a player Sam Mitchell would love playing for him. When we take our anti Carlton glasses off (I have a pair for every day of the week!) he is actually a very effective player that gives 100% every time he takes the field. As a free agent, I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was wearing Brown and Gold next season.
Yes, I would have to take my Anti Carlton glasses off but would also need to put my Anti Spud Glasses on.

Can we pull off a 2001 style trade to secure #1 Pick from WC?

DGB, Brockman + Pick 3 for Pick 1 + 34 :think:
That's not even close to a 2001 style trade, given that we didn't give up a pick 2 places down the order to secure pick 1.

Ah Tom Morris, clubs will be lining up to take the million dollar plus left on Haynes deal for the potential upside of a 32 year old who has been in and out of the giants best 22 for a late pick.

How can you seriously compare this situation with Scully & Patton who were both still in their mid 20s and the potential upside of the deal was clear.

How some of these guys have jobs in the industry is beyond me

Henry on a wing with Amon would be great. Henry's disposal does need work though.

We already have Amon, Ward, Weddle and potentially CJ as longer term wing options.

I thought Henry was a small forward when he was drafted? I think that's a position of need moreso than the wing.

I don't think Silvagni should be seen as an upgrade on Kozi. We need the tall timber. And we can't assume that Brandon Ryan is the answer in the forward line after a couple of games. I would welcome Silvagni at the club and think he would work well with Lewis. He gives everything. I would also be sure to retain Kozi because, IMO, he is developing into a very good player. We don't want to lose him.

If we got two top 10 picks and we wanted both Duursma and Watson I'd be interested to see how we play our hand. Watson seems to be who we rate highest, but if we don't pick Duursma the Dees look like they'll snap him up in a heartbeat. I don't think they go for Watson though, and he could slide to a later pick simply based on needs. Could be another 2004, where we rate Buddy Pick 1 but know the Tigers will take Roughie before we do.

No matter what I'm stoked with how the draft seems to be playing out, but a chance to get some true game-winners through the club is so exciting. We seem to play well through games but can't seal it out, we don't really have enough players that stand up and win us games in the dying minutes. Watson and Duursma could be that, they're both goal threats that can be pushed up the ground to win the footy and will the team over the line. No matter how it plays out, we look set for a great season in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels dirty saying this but I agree with Cornes. Haynes is a solid player and not one you'd desperately go after and take his huge contract for a low draft pick. A high draft pick seems a suitable incentive otherwise it's a huge win for GWS and a huge burden for the next club. It'd be worth it for a Collingwood who could use his skills to hopefully snag a premiership, but for a team like us it's far less valuable on his own.

Sent from my SCV41 using Tapatalk
No-one is interested in taking him without the first round draft pick.

I don't think Silvagni should be seen as an upgrade on Kozi. We need the tall timber. And we can't assume that Brandon Ryan is the answer in the forward line after a couple of games. I would welcome Silvagni at the club and think he would work well with Lewis. He gives everything. I would also be sure to retain Kozi because, IMO, he is developing into a very good player. We don't want to lose him.
Over his career, Silvagni is rated as elite in both tackles and pressure acts, as well as above average in forward 50 tackles.

As much as I love Kosi, I think Jack would be a pretty substantial upgrade. Think he would obviously help with our forward pressure, be the third tall and chop out ruck.

We already have Amon, Ward, Weddle and potentially CJ as longer term wing options.

I thought Henry was a small forward when he was drafted? I think that's a position of need moreso than the wing.

He's a crap small forward.

He's a decent wing.

We need more quality wing options. We've seen how important Amon is. Weddle might be able to push up there but he's not starting wing material yet. Ward will get shifted more toward the inside as he builds up.

Definitely has X factor, however like I mentioned in my previous post, he just doesn't engage with this squad.

I notice he is constantly at the back of team huddles, walking off the ground about 2-3 metres away from the team.

He was promised success and it never came to fruition, I get the feeling he is just doing enough to gauge interest from rival clubs in the hope of a 2 year contract. Which is fine, but I want picks that make the McCabe bid work.

Doesn't really matter if you think Wingard doesn't engage with the squad, he's ranked number 1 at the club for Goal Assists per game.

/edit you can laugh at it all you want Hawthorn2023 but you're wrong.

Last edited:
Pardon the intrusion guys. Debate underway on the Dees board over who we’ll take at ND pick 4 if things remain as is. Consensus preference is Zane Duursma. Who are you guys settling on for ND pick 3? Watson? Duursma? Someone else? Keen to hear cheers.

Pardon the intrusion guys. Debate underway on the Dees board over who we’ll take at ND pick 4 if things remain as is. Consensus preference is Zane Duursma. Who are you guys settling on for ND pick 3? Watson? Duursma? Someone else? Keen to hear cheers.
Watson seems to be our ITKs suggestion. Duursma next, McKercher and Curtin good players but not what we need. Caddy a smokey. We have been trying desperately to find a way to get a second top 10 pick in a way that isn't insane on this board, hoping our club is doing the same. Personally, it's a toss between Duursma or Watson.

Over his career, Silvagni is rated as elite in both tackles and pressure acts, as well as above average in forward 50 tackles.

As much as I love Kosi, I think Jack would be a pretty substantial upgrade. Think he would obviously help with our forward pressure, be the third tall and chop out ruck.

I agree with you but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I think Kozi is just coming good. He had his problems early in the season but most of the team did. I hate the idea of losing players when they are just beginning to show good signs and it is so difficult to develop big blokes. I really like what I'm seeing.

By the sounds of it, if Watson is available we will lock him in within 0.1 seconds.

I would imagine McKercher and Curtin are ahead of Duursma on our draft board.

I personally think NM will finish last and the top 5 will look like;

1. NM - Reid
2. GCS (Matched) - Walter
3. NM - McKercher
4. WCE - Curtin
5. HFC - Watson

If NM were smart they'd take Reid + Curtin, but you can just about lock those dickheads into taking midfielders.

He’s better at pretty much everything?

Kosi has played much more of his time as a forward so has a few more goals, but Silvagni’s better as a 3rd forward when he’s played there and as a 2nd ruck.
Comparatively over their careers Kosi has averaged more hitouts, goals and contested marks than Silvagni.
Silvagni is also turning 26 this year and Kosi just turned 23.

Also at the same age Silvagni was struggling to get into the Carlton side similarly to Kosi with ours this year.

I don't see how he's such a big upgrade on someone who is 3 years younger with very comparable stats over their careers so far. Kosi has the upside imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back