Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory Sloane’s retirement reminds of possibly our greatest ever blunder. Think the story goes we’d been into Rory the whole year, told him we were taking him if available and we chose Liam Anthony instead, he went the Crows at the next pick.

Rory Sloane’s retirement reminds of possibly our greatest ever blunder. Think the story goes we’d been into Rory the whole year, told him we were taking him if available and we chose Liam Anthony instead, he went the Crows at the next pick.
You must be new here - there’s been plenty of so called blunders.

Stibbard wanted Selwood

Walker taken and the next 8-10 players are above average players
Atley instead of Issac smith who played in our vfl side

Stibbard wanted Selwood

No, not new at all SB, been here too bloody long.
Everyone had Lachie at 3, I think it was pick 3, Selwood had knee issues or something didn’t he?
Walker a hecking disaster stupid pick, complete reach, agree with the following 8-10 players. Wasn’t there chuckles from other clubs when we took him. We should’ve taken Kelly, think Geelong spooked us, or set us up. Amateur hour at our joint.
Sloane has turned out to be the dream shinboner footballer IMO, culture changing of ya footy club.
Selwood no slouch either, of course. The ducking would’ve shitted me, although I loved LT.

Josh smilie without a shadow of doubt, the closest play to dangerfield we are ever going to get. He is vic based, so no go home factor and is not part of the tasmania hype.

Trainor? If that's not a sign I don't know what is. Let's hope he keeps knocking the door down and we take him. Positional need, roos supporter, related to a club legend it's meant to be
Yep, don't you just love destiny!
Season 1 Destiny GIF by SHOWTIME

Josh smilie without a shadow of doubt, the closest play to dangerfield we are ever going to get. He is vic based, so no go home factor and is not part of the tasmania hype.

Smillie isn't at all Dangerfield. Isn't all that explosive. He is more of a big bodied, strong inside mid in the Tom Green/Patty Cripps mould. Totally different players.

Smillie isn't at all Dangerfield. Isn't all that explosive. He is more of a big bodied, strong inside mid in the Tom Green/Patty Cripps mould. Totally different players.

Morning RF,
Remember I was talking about little Ricky from the Dragons?
Got a run on Sunday and kicked 5
(Albeit against GWS Academy who aren’t very good apparently)
Still though….not a bad effort

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, not new at all SB, been here too bloody long.
Everyone had Lachie at 3, I think it was pick 3, Selwood had knee issues or something didn’t he?
Walker a *ing disaster stupid pick, complete reach, agree with the following 8-10 players. Wasn’t there chuckles from other clubs when we took him. We should’ve taken Kelly, think Geelong spooked us, or set us up. Amateur hour at our joint.
Sloane has turned out to be the dream shinboner footballer IMO, culture changing of ya footy club.
Selwood no slouch either, of course. The ducking would’ve shitted me, although I loved LT.
Yes Joel Selwood's knees are bone on bone, no ligament left. He won't last. A ticking time bomb. Just you wait and see.

Morning RF,
Remember I was talking about little Ricky from the Dragons?
Got a run on Sunday and kicked 5
(Albeit against GWS Academy who aren’t very good apparently)
Still though….not a bad effort

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Awesome effort for his first crack at the level this season. I know it was an easy kill against GWS, but you still have to be at the right places at the right times to get 6 shots on goal. I haven't had a chance to watch that game yet, but I'm hoping to watch some sandy games in the coming weeks so I'll keep an eye out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would he have still been drafted if he'd stayed at the same level he was previously at as a key forward?

Unsure, he hasn't had much exposed form as a key forward as Coates League Level. His best forward work was all done at the local leagues where he was probably bullying his direct opponents.

I believe Sandy sent him back because they thought it would be the best place to utilise his foot skills.

Unsure, he hasn't had much exposed form as a key forward as Coates League Level. His best forward work was all done at the local leagues where he was probably bullying his direct opponents.

I believe Sandy sent him back because they thought it would be the best place to utilise his foot skills.

Interesting. If Sandy throws him forward for a couple of games and he kicks a bag, he would surely firm up as a top 3 pick and possibly in discussion for number 1. On the other hand, of course, if he doesn't impress, then that's two less games down back to establish himself as worthy of a top end pick.

Stibbard wanted Selwood

Hanson instead of Selwood is easily our biggest drafting mistake, it's right up there with the Tigers taking Tambling instead of Buddy.

It's also the answer to anyone who suggests that you should draft for positional needs over best available in the first round.

Hanson instead of Selwood is easily our biggest drafting mistake, it's right up there with the Tigers taking Tambling instead of Buddy.

It's also the answer to anyone who suggests that you should draft for positional needs over best available in the first round.

Lachie wasn't a positional need pick.

Gibbs, Gumbleton and Hansen were absolutely the clear 3 heading into that draft.

There was massive hype around all 3 of them as generational young players, they just happened to be a mid, CHF and CHB, which added to it.

Easy to say in hindsight, but Selwood was never spoken about as a top 3 pick at the time with his knee.

It would have been a ludicrous suggestion, as Hansen was considered one of the best underage key back prospects of the AFL era at that point.

Lachie wasn't a positional need pick.

Gibbs, Gumbleton and Hansen were absolutely the clear 3 heading into that draft.

There was massive hype around all 3 of them as generational young players, they just happened to be a mid, CHF and CHB, which added to it.

Easy to say in hindsight, but Selwood was never spoken about as a top 3 pick at the time with his knee.

It would have been a ludicrous suggestion, as Hansen was considered one of the best underage key back prospects of the AFL era at that point.
Fair enough, maybe my memory is letting me down, from what I was told we quite liked Selwood but got spooked by his injuries (I though it was his shoulders not knees?).

Last edited:
Fair enough, maybe my memory is letting me down, from what I was told we quite liked Selwood but got spooked by his injuries (I though it was his shoulders not knees).

Selwood was never in the discussion.

In fact, the main discussion at the time was very much Gumby vs Hansen vs Leuenberger

With quite a bit of discussion surrounding Hansen vs Leuenberger

I think James Sellar had more discussion than Joel Selwood leading into 2006.

Then there was discussion around Thorp, Jack Riewoldt, Brown twins, Reid, Hampson, Dawes, Garland, Jesse White.

It was a massive year for talls and Hansen and Gumby were considered the rolled gold prospects that performed well above a huge group of great prospects.

Last edited:
You mean to tell me there's a highly touted KPD kid who BFNAAK and hates Essendon, and some people are tossing up whether we should pick him?!

Its time to move on,
Selwood not surrounded by Ablett, Ling, Bartel, Corey and Enright, I doubt he becomes the player he does without that support.
He was lucky to be a gun jnr walk into a premiership midfield.

Selwood was never in the discussion.

In fact, the main discussion at the time was very much Gumby vs Hansen vs Leuenberger

With quite a bit of discussion surrounding Hansen vs Leuenberger

I think James Sellar had more discussion than Joel Selwood leading into 2006.

Then there was discussion around Thorp, Jack Riewoldt, Brown twins, Reid, Hampson, Dawes, Garland, Jesse White.

It was a massive year for talls and Hansen and Gumby were considered the rolled gold prospects that performed well above a huge group of great prospects.
Gumbleton vs Hansen was going to become the Carey vs Jakovich of the new era. As you say, Leuenberger was not far from the conversation but we'd already loaded up with Hale and McIntosh so we were not going to pick another ruck.

What set Hansen apart at the time was that he was known to be able to swing forward. Sadly, he never established himself as either the number one forward or number one defender in our team. I don't think that was a development weakness. He just didn't quite have what it took to become an A grader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back