Preview 2024 Rd 6 Carlton v GWS Saturday April 20 4:35PM (AEDT) @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Lachie Cowan, Lewis Young

OUT: Adam Saad (hamstring), Mitch McGovern (hamstring)

MILESTONE: Matthew Kennedy 100 games

Round 6 team v GWS
Backs:Lachie CowanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsLewis YoungNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Charlie CurnowHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsAlex CincottaHudson O'Keeffe

Last edited by a moderator:
Toby Greene/Tom Green/ quell them will go a long way to winning.

Hogan/Cadman/Riccardi/Brown might be too tall at Marvel.

Need pace as usual would be crazy to play Pitto.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tried and failed. Issue is he doesn't find the ball much especially for his running ability. It's why he wasn't drafted. For all Cottrell brings he isn't a smart footballer and needs a role

I'd love to see Kemp on a wing. Great engine, midfield skills and would work back and forward to help.
Not a Cottrell fan Soapy ?

I thought Cincotta is injured?

Re the two rucks, I would definitely be ditching Pitto, we missed TDK at the clearances last week. Not the reason we lost but he plays best as the lead ruck I'm not sure why we'd take that away from him. We already have two big marking forwards.

Tried and failed. Issue is he doesn't find the ball much especially for his running ability. It's why he wasn't drafted. For all Cottrell brings he isn't a smart footballer and needs a role

I'd love to see Kemp on a wing. Great engine, midfield skills and would work back and forward to help.
Time for him to grow up, the problem with defensive half forwards, if there too defensive, they stop kicking goals, realistically he should of kicked 2 on the weekend but missed a soda. He has a lot going for him but it looks like he holds himself back at times, that's just my opinion.

With regards to Kemp, I feel he is a genuine utility and can be used anywhere, he shouldn't have been left out of the team against the Roos.

Really? Thought he had an absolute shocker and looked like someone who hadn't played in months

His first few contests were horrendous, coughed up two holding frees I think for two goals and got burnt in a chase so I was thinking the same. Did tighten up from there on but it surprised me that he came straight back into the seniors.

His main advantage over Kemp is when up and going he makes less mistakes defensively but tbh I prefer Kemp's pace, counter attack and willingness to back himself on the intercept (which Marchy is also good at).

Kemp's durability is also a massive plus and as has been pointed out, at only 30 odd games the hope is he gets better at when to go hard and when to just kill the ball.

It's certainly going to be interesting how we balance the structure

We could still have thrown Harry into the ruck at times last week. Having lost Saad earlier may changed our plans to sub a tall later in the game.

We were also 3 kicks up late in the game, but our defensive structure lost shape

Just not convinced that we lost due to playing 2 ruckmen, when we have shown in the past we can win big games with both in the side
Of course we can't definitely say, particularly as we were 16 points up
However, playing 2 ruck IMHO gave us less representation on the ground, and particularly early, was one of the reasons their fwd 50 was so open (we just couldn't run back to harass and block space)
It also put an extra strain on our running backs to provide more "run" in the midfielder's absence
My other gripe was why, with a lack of running power and contest representation, we make a midfielder the sub (forget that it was Carroll-it was a midfielder)
The team was unbalanced from the start, Adelaide got a sniff early and then it all fell apart

Both sides played exactly the same game plan as last year, except they were in good form and we where just travelling.

Crowded our big guys, spoil get numbers back at their feet and run it out with hand ball and speed.

They had an open forward line and lead into space, we had to be man on man and pressure on the ball carrier
Last time I checked, it's still 18 v 18
Where were our small fwds and where was the lowering of eyes to maybe look for a better or intermediate option?

Of course we can't definitely say, particularly as we were 16 points up
However, playing 2 ruck IMHO gave us less representation on the ground, and particularly early, was one of the reasons their fwd 50 was so open (we just couldn't run back to harass and block space)
It also put an extra strain on our running backs to provide more "run" in the midfielder's absence
My other gripe was why, with a lack of running power and contest representation, we make a midfielder the sub (forget that it was Carroll-it was a midfielder)
The team was unbalanced from the start, Adelaide got a sniff early and then it all fell apart

Not solely directed here, but I think this sentiment is situational

If we had held on, especially if we hadn't lost Saad early, would people still share this view? Not so sure

If we win this week with 2 ruckmen, does that then change this view

There are always a number of factors to why sides win or lose and I don't believe any one aspect is heavily weighted as a core reason

I get that people were frustrated with the loss and many wanted to vent, personally, I found it to be an overreaction

Last edited:
I totally agree with Soap on this one, for all his endurance and willingness to work, Cotts doesn’t get to the right spots for a winger. Much better suited to high half forward where he can run to support the wingers and mids, but nit have a structurally important role. Ollie cops a lot from many on here, while he has some improvement to come, we are taking significant advantage of his ability to get to the right places. Posters are preoccupied that he is sometimes outmuscled. The bigger positive is that he gets to spots in cover that our one way running mids do not. He is essential along with Acres.

Back to Cotts, he has more forward instincts and if given a little licence, has the happy knack of finding space. I strongly feel Voss and team deploy too many players in largely rigid defensive roles to cover for some “stars” this takes away from the potency of our attack, particularly in the case of our maligned (for not scoring) small forwards.

??

Kemp's skills under pressure are ordinary and if there is one guy in our team that looks cooked after every contest it's Brodie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree with Soap on this one, for all his endurance and willingness to work, Cotts doesn’t get to the right spots for a winger. Much better suited to high half forward where he can run to support the wingers and mids, but nit have a structurally important role. Ollie cops a lot from many on here, while he has some improvement to come, we are taking significant advantage of his ability to get to the right places. Posters are preoccupied that he is sometimes outmuscled. The bigger positive is that he gets to spots in cover that our one way running mids do not. He is essential along with Acres.

Back to Cotts, he has more forward instincts and if given a little licence, has the happy knack of finding space. I strongly feel Voss and team deploy too many players in largely rigid defensive roles to cover for some “stars” this takes away from the potency of our attack, particularly in the case of our maligned (for not scoring) small forwards.

I don't think Cottrell gets enough kudos for the role he plays in the team, then supposedly others are labelled as smarter or better, even though they are incapable of what Cottrell brings

Some players just take longer to develop, some of which are drafted as mature age type, others start well and their careers fade

I understand people hold a view until new evidence changes an opinion, but Cottrell has improved a fair bit under Voss

Also don’t believe we lost due to 2 ruckmen; defensive focus & structure crumbled at times.
Almost as if the additional runner could have helped with our ability to pressure and defend through the midfield...
The way to take away leg speed is to win the contest and make them 'earn' every possession.
Not if you're too incompetent to figure out how to position to prevent the ball being paddled out to a runner in space.

??

Kemp's skills under pressure are ordinary and if there is one guy in our team that looks cooked after every contest it's Brodie.
I find this post very strange.

Kemp looks cooked after every contest? The bloke is heart and soul, most of his ordinary skills under pressure are from repeat efforts when some of his more vaunted team mates are more selective when to go.

I feel Kempy busts his backside to follow instruction and play his role. He is suppressing instinct to play a role that is not natural for him. He would be far better served as the third tall, rather than the second. Slightly less accountable and more proactive, the role gifted to McGovern, the bloke who turns a semi accountable role in to a non accountable role when it suits him.

FYI if you watched the previous week’s VfL game, Kemp was pounded and struggled through the game as our best on, despite multiple significant knocks. I was a little surprised he managed to front up, so have no doubt he was nursing many niggles. He kept fronting up contest after contest, probably despite being somewhat “cooked”.

I love Toby Greene but not this weekend.

Last time I checked, it's still 18 v 18
Where were our small fwds and where was the lowering of eyes to maybe look for a better or intermediate option?

Our small forwards bob up for a combined 20 possessions a week if we are lucky and when was the last time this side actually hit a small forward on a lead? Either they don't lead or we kick it to Charlie or H. Owies, every now and then.

That's what I'm saying we are so predictable, the game plan they used last year was still good enough to get them a win this year.

I find this post very strange.

Kemp looks cooked after every contest? The bloke is heart and soul, most of his ordinary skills under pressure are from repeat efforts when some of his more vaunted team mates are more selective when to go.

I feel Kempy busts his backside to follow instruction and play his role. He is suppressing instinct to play a role that is not natural for him. He would be far better served as the third tall, rather than the second. Slightly less accountable and more proactive, the role gifted to McGovern, the bloke who turns a semi accountable role in to a non accountable role when it suits him.

FYI if you watched the previous week’s VfL game, Kemp was pounded and struggled through the game as our best on, despite multiple significant knocks. I was a little surprised he managed to front up, so have no doubt he was nursing many niggles. He kept fronting up contest after contest, probably despite being somewhat “cooked”.

I never said he lacks endeavour or heart - he absolutely does.

I just don't agree with the suggestion that he be tried as a winger. Outside of competing, reading the ball in the air and obviously his marking he hasn't shown elite endurance, disposal & decision making to suggest he's a star wingman in waiting.

That said, Ollie's and Acres disposal this year has been just as ordinary...

I am but just understand his ability and what he can do. Not everyone is a star

As I have said before I put him in the same category as Cuningham. Has all the tools to be a gun. On the training track looks awesome as he does in games when he's involved. The issue is they don't do it nearly enough, go missing to often and sadly get reduced to role players which is fine but we need to acknowledge what they are. Unless things change Cotrell isn't a wingman. At 24 with 60 games we have seen enough to assess.

People keep pointing to the defensive work which is generally good but is it enough? How many defensive players can you carry that hardly contribute to offence? IMO it's a reason we struggle to kick goals. Way too many "defensive" players

If either stepped up and became regular 4 quarter players we would be so much better off. When Cottrell contributes offensively to support his defensive work we are a much better side. I just wish it was more often

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back