Preview 2024 Rd 6 Carlton v GWS Saturday April 20 4:35PM (AEDT) @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Lachie Cowan, Lewis Young

OUT: Adam Saad (hamstring), Mitch McGovern (hamstring)

MILESTONE: Matthew Kennedy 100 games

Round 6 team v GWS
Backs:Lachie CowanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsLewis YoungNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Charlie CurnowHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsAlex CincottaHudson O'Keeffe

Last edited by a moderator:
The table of data below is provided on the GWS thread.....its good data and I don't think anyone would be surprised by it...its pretty clear we are very H/Charlie focussed. And Hogan is having a great season so far. GWS have a much better spread of f50 targets.

GWSF50 TargetsF50 Marks
Jesse Hogan4526
Toby Greene189
Aaron Cadman1710
Jake Riccardi167
Callum Brown117
CarltonF50 TargetsF50 Marks
Harry McKay4317
Charlie Curnow3616
Matthew Owies83
Patrick Cripps83
Matt Kennedy72

The table of data below is provided on the GWS thread.....its good data and I don't think anyone would be surprised by it...its pretty clear we are very H/Charlie focussed. And Hogan is having a great season so far. GWS have a much better spread of f50 targets.

GWSF50 TargetsF50 Marks
Jesse Hogan4526
Toby Greene189
Aaron Cadman1710
Jake Riccardi167
Callum Brown117
CarltonF50 TargetsF50 Marks
Harry McKay4317
Charlie Curnow3616
Matthew Owies83
Patrick Cripps83
Matt Kennedy72
We are sorely missing that Martin/JSOS type in our forward line.

I know people are really getting in on the “we only bomb it in” and “we are too Harry and Charlie focused” trains, but we are currently 5th in the league for goals per inside 50, 6th in points per game, and 3rd for scores per inside 50. And that’s with having played 2 of the stingiest defenses in the league this year in Brisbane and Freo. This would suggest somethings clearly working in this space?

Congratulations Matt "Chugga" Kennedy. Heart and soul player for our club. Has plenty of the good bloke feel about him. Hopefully the boys honour his achievement today.

Leave him in the midfield and he will be a gun. Sadly he is victim of us having Cripps Hewett Carroll that are similar and us trying to fit them all in

I know people are really getting in on the “we only bomb it in” and “we are too Harry and Charlie focused” trains, but we are currently 5th in the league for goals per inside 50, 6th in points per game, and 3rd for scores per inside 50. And that’s with having played 2 of the stingiest defenses in the league this year in Brisbane and Freo. This would suggest somethings clearly working in this space?

It’s because we hold it in with Fogarty Cottrell Durdin etc and our pressure. From pure entries we are poor

It’s because we hold it in with Fogarty Cottrell Durdin etc and our pressure. From pure entries we are poor
What if that’s the plan though? Getting the ball in as deep as possible, then lock it in to generate scores. The problem with clearing out the space is it invites pressure through interceptions and turnover, and can make you look horrible going the other way. You can’t do both

What if that’s the plan though? Getting the ball in as deep as possible, then lock it in to generate scores. The problem with clearing out the space is it invites pressure through interceptions and turnover, and can make you look horrible going the other way. You can’t do both
I can see benefits of this as well but we only have to look at last weeks game to see what we do wont take us too much further than where we got to last season.

Crows and other teams can double tag H/Charlie if the ball always goes to them and our smalls also congregate their as well causing congestion and difficulty for our big forwards to mark the entries.

I believe there is a much better advantage if our other forwards lead elsewhere and take their man with them leaving more space and hence a clearer advantage for our two guns to dominate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see benefits of this as well but we only have to look at last weeks game to see what we do wont take us too much further than where we got to last season.

Crows and other teams can double tag H/Charlie if the ball always goes to them and our smalls also congregate their as well causing congestion and difficulty for our big forwards to mark the entries.

I believe there is a much better advantage if our other forwards lead elsewhere and take their man with them leaving more space and hence a clearer advantage for our two guns to dominate.
Teams are Charlie and Harry focused anyway. They aren’t going to not focus on them because the smalls are running to 45 metres out on the boundary…

My only onbservation is that Binns looked and played very "small" in the prelim games...will be interesting to see him play when he gets his chance.
Even if he did struggle in his first game or 2 most do, Ollie is struggling to get a kick at all and provides no link up like Binnsy does. Game is getting softer and softer with game going closer and closer to touch footy... Binnsy would outnumber at contest after contest and then get it on the outside.... everyone thought jeffy garlett was too thin.....

Going to the game with my bro, first time since mid season last year, just found a hundred cash under some crap on the bedroom tv cabinetry and the missus didn’t manage to sniff it out, 18 year old son reckons his new entrepreneurial idea could make him 4K a week🙃, got a preapproved loan from the bank to buy another house, walked the hound, got a few hours before I set off, how good is my life?!🧐👀

Never said different did I? Where have I said to clear out space? I believe it is the plan and I have no issue with it

My ONLY issue is that numerous times we enter the forward 50 and have people on their own we ignore them. Not only would it give us an easy shot at goal, stop opposition defenders focussing on Harry/Charlie thus giving them more space, but would also allow us more time with the ball and our players to have a breather.

No matter how many we have out, bring the manic pressure and we will win. It was missing last week against Adelaide and we will be able to tell in the first 5 mins if we are 'ON' this week... Excited, should be a cracker !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back