Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Did don’t expect to win so that was amazing, thought our forward entries were a lot better and our defence early was fantastic

Weitering was immense and our inclusions made a big difference.

It was disappointing to give up such a big lead, mostly because it seemed Melb just wanted it more, I thought we lost all confidence and just shut up shop, which was a huge risk.

The lapses in effort in big moments is hurting us, that goal where Viney beat 3 Blues to hit the ball back for a goal was really soft.

On the umpiring, it doesn’t matter how you see officiate 95% of the game, if you flat out refuse to play blatant free kicks in the dying minutes, you are bad at your job.

Cerra being subbed off in only his second game back is a big concern, not a good advertisement for our performance team.

I mean they won the second half and split the second. If I was then I’d feel like the 6 goal head start was unacceptable and cost them the 4 points

That is what they would be thinking. Better to be on the right side of the ledger isn’t it?

I fully see deficiencies in the side and my questions remain around us not being well drilled enough (maybe just need more cohesion in aspects), lack of killer instinct, going defensive too early and a few others.

However we are into this season up to our eyeballs in a very open comp. We definitely do need to improve though.

Got the points but geez I hope Voss is livid with that last quarter.

We went away from our game to defend a lead and s**t the bed in several key moments.

Lucky to get out of it in the end.

Oh and any chance of someone picking up Petracca??
Yeah Crippa did right at the end .

Do we know what cez's injury was?
So glad to have gov back.
Safe to say I was pretty emotional in the last quarter, between umpires taking the absolute piss and what appeared to be us absolutely packing it in it was hard to see objectively. Sat behind our defence in the last and reckon a few boys would like some moments back but here we are.
Jacky M is dynamic enough to make a forward line that otherwise lacks imagination look so much better.
Owies played a ripper.
Thought Ollie played quite well aside from those 3(?) identical brain fades.
Take it.

Dees had a 5 day break.

We had 6.

That quarter was nothing short of putrid. I am actually fuming.
we also played 3 games in 13 days against quality opposition if you want to start looking at things like that

Last week Pies had 6 more scoring shots and about 20 more I50’s

This week Dees had 4 more scoring shots and, you guessed it, 20 more I50’s

This is not sustainable against the teams we are competing against for Top 4.

100% underwhelming
I think we had a heap more inside 50's against Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we played this game as wet weather front runners, got out in front, used up all of our energy and just held on by a nose at the post. Not a trainer in the world who wouldn't be happy with that.
We had the ability to assess and control the situation for another 10 minutes or so across those first 3 quarters that would have made all the difference. The most glaring window was the final 5 minutes of the third quarter.

This hints at an organisational issue where senior personnel and players have too little faith in others and too little competency in some aspects of their own roles when the pressure is on.

We can't keep making fundamental mistakes when most AFL teams just do not. We come off like a wealthy basket case, but I suppose that's true of most who inherit wealth and prestige in any walk of life.

Might need to call it quits on Melbourne games for the sake of my health. In tears round 22 last year, shaking after the semi. This one hit me hardest of all, had to sit down for 10 minutes after the siren just to catch my breath.

Not even relief, dunno how to describe after the game. Never felt angry after a win. Perhaps anger after it looked like finally a relaxing, enjoyable win only to be put through an absolute rollercoaster of emotions.

Need to calm down tonight and watch the replay once I'm calm. Some great moments I'm sure but geez I wish they'd make it easy from time to time.

For the record, I am happy that we won, but I'm rightfully critiquing a very lopsided performance, dropping the blame largely on the football department rather than the footballers.

I covered my suggested changes in the pre-match thread, though I was expecting Cuningham and Williams to be fit to play, but that simply would have spared Durdin and maybe Cowan.

Walsh has several moments a game where he should not be running for the receive or gather and should work towards a different part of the contest, so that he can conserve his energy to have a greater overall impact.

He literally gets in the way of his own team mates having impact, taking them - and often himself - out of the contest.

Cripps regularly holds onto the ball in congestion and ignores straight forward options in what amounts to an act of selfish frustration.

Part of the conversation last year was that everyone got together and spoke about a team first mentality in terms of how they approach the game, what did you think those statements referred to?

Not even going to address such a glib hypothetical beyond pointing out the arrogance of how absolutely sure you are we picked the best team for the job given the current state of our list.

I think as more stats come in you'll see that reflects an absurd amount of stoppage attendances.

Further to your earlier point: we played well for 2.75 quarters IMO. Dead on our feet for half of the third and most of the last.
I find your take on Cripps and Walsh gobsmacking. Both poured themselves into their roles as always , imperfectly but to call it arrogance is just daft.

Cripps job is obviously to hold onto the ball in congestion - it’s a tactic, arms up or brought to ground and hand it off - in the heat of battle, especially against the Dees mids, it’s not going to be clean every time.

Williams is injured - any other golden outside runners we could have brought in?

Wether we picked the best team or not, calling this team arrogant is simply wrong.

If anybody know their imperfections it’s this team.

Laughing at us celebrating that dog s**t effort.

We're going fine. But efforts liek that in the last expose us as mentally and physically gettable.

Melbourne are not contenders either imo. They rely on too few.

It wasn’t a one point win over one of the bottom 3-4 sides, then maybe you’d have some sort of point.

We beat basically a full strength Melbourne who beat the previously unbeaten Geelong last week (and they only had one less day to prepare than us, and we had back to back 6 day breaks).

As I said I see us, on current form displayed as a bottom part of the 8 side, but still plenty of the season to go.

We’re missing our three first choice small defenders, they are the sort of players you set your game up around.

Williams, Saad and Docherty

We’re missing our first choice small forward

Motlop

We lost one of our starting CB midfielders just after HT

Cerra

We just beat the team that beat an undefeated Geelong outfit

Idk, I’m happy with that?

Melbourne beat Geelong last week and people are sooking over a win. Last 10 minutes went poorly but there was a lot of luck going Dees way too.
Yep
A bit shocked by the reactions tbh.

We won and we won most of the game.

Dees were always gonna turn it on at some stage.

We still have improvement to come and more players to come back.

Just so happy with our skills and endeavour for most of the game.

but New
I think the poster is alluding to our lack of proper in-game management and applying tactics at the right time. Voss has been tactically outcoached badly for the last three games at least. Cats, collingwood (as much as I hate to say it), and Melbourne are coached well by very good tactical coaches.

We aren’t there yet. We’re lucky we have the talent we do at the moment.

Voss coached brilliantly early. Our boys were calm, taking marks and spotting up the runners in space without any panic. We lost the hitouts but won the clearances and our defensive setup was fantastic.

We only lapsed when we started to run out of legs. We won the game so I don't see how Voss was outcoached badly tactically.

All people are saying is that we went defensive too early, but I think that's a reflection of how tired we were. Was always going to happen on a wet track with returning players.

Thought the bacline as a whole was massive

Cottrell might not have racked up huge numbers, but being first to the pill, knock ons, gathers and absorbing tackles, was crucial

Yep, yep & yep.

One on one, we smashed them.

Petracca went forward & got off the leash, but hell, it’s Petracca.

He’s as good as anyone going.

Back