Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

Pick 20 is a second rounder and always will be.

Just because the AFL change the name. The fact is with 18 teams the 19th pick is a second rounder.

It's like when you're at school at you're told to count to ten. And get in trouble for not counting to 12.

Agree, but no sporting club in professional sports history has needed to ******* NAIL more second round picks than us right now. It's been a disaster.

Goad? No idea if he's good enough. But he ******* better be. And that's not pressure on the kid, but the reality of where we're at.

And frankly, us taking a running jump on a teenage ruckman at 20 is ... questionable. At best.

Gee, after reading all that, I dare say he won't be playing senior AFL football before 2026 at best. Strange to use pick 20 on such a player, when the club is on its knees & non-competitive now.

So there's every chance it will end up Wardlaw for JHF? I do love George but gee, we held all the aces in that trade & we'll be lucky to break even.

Rawlings - the gift that keeps on giving.

There’s so much stupidity on this board.

Todd Goldstein - gee, why did we let him go? I can’t imagine, so dumb. Taylor Goad - gee, why did we draft someone not ready to play? What a waste of a pick!

Guess what - Goldstein was a basketballer, aka a project player. I remember being at Arden st near enough to twenty years ago and Goldy would stay back learning how to handball

Before you advertise your ignorance, learn something

There’s so much stupidity on this board.

Todd Goldstein - gee, why did we let him go? I can’t imagine, so dumb. Taylor Goad - gee, why did we draft someone not ready to play? What a waste of a pick!

Guess what - Goldstein was a basketballer, aka a project player. I remember being at Arden st near enough to twenty years ago and Goldy would stay back learning how to handball

Before you advertise your ignorance, learn something
Evan Hewitt the same.

Well for one Jacob Edwards stood out immediately as someone who would not work hard enough once he stepped into the club. Enough stories are public knowledge on here without going any further than that.

Goady has been the complete opposite since coming into the club. Think he’s actually shown quite a bit more than Edwards did in his two years at VFL in about 6? Games already.

What a f*cking stupid comparison to make from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.
I'm not surprised by Ross's comment - just confirms his bed wetter status.

Gee, after reading all that, I dare say he won't be playing senior AFL football before 2026 at best. Strange to use pick 20 on such a player, when the club is on its knees & non-competitive now.

So there's every chance it will end up Wardlaw for JHF? I do love George but gee, we held all the aces in that trade & we'll be lucky to break even.

Goldstein = galloping hat rack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get it, we're shite.

A 207cm 18yo project ruck was never going to be here nor there in our 2024 output.

Of course not. And that's not my concern. Nor do I have a massive issue with taking him, necessarily.

But those types are notoriously difficult to project at 18. It can be a complete guess. I question whether are / were in a position to run that fine line with holes on every line, no small forwards, no key forwards and a defence that almost needs a complete overhaul.

Again, I have no opinion on the player himself.

Of course not. And that's not my concern. Nor do I have a massive issue with taking him, necessarily.

But those types are notoriously difficult to project at 18. It can be a complete guess. I question whether are / were in a position to run that fine line with holes on every line, no small forwards, no key forwards and a defence that almost needs a complete overhaul.

Again, I have no opinion on the player himself.
If you're getting at list imbalance, totally valid.

But 5 x top 25 picks was compelling enough to take to the draft for much vaunted "best available" selections.

We've had enough draft selections overall, DFA opportunities etc to patch up list holes if we wanted to.

If you're getting at list imbalance, totally valid.

But 5 x top 25 picks was compelling enough to take to the draft for much vaunted "best available" selections.

We've had enough draft selections overall, DFA opportunities etc to patch up list holes if we wanted to.

Fair point. My frustration is, of course, we haven't done that or anything close.

We have Xerri for a few years, he might not be much but he at least competes.

I would say 2026 should be the target for him to have a body capable of at least playing AFL games if needed. That is 2x pre-seasons away.

It was always going to be the case. The kid was coming from a low base fitness wise and was very raw when it came to his footballing ability. In saying that though, he has shown some signs at VFL (albeit only a few) but they make you sit back and go "wow the way that kid can move is incredible". He has actually been given quite tough assignments to start the year off in the VFL. Coming up against the mature bodies of Pittonet, Fort, Madden and Tom Campbell was always going to be hard for a kid when he is giving away 15+kg on them.

What some posters are overlooking in this thread is that as an athlete, we've never seen a kid at over 205+cm that is as agile and can move like he can. You are talking a kid that's quicker and arguably more athletic than the likes of Luke Jackson and Nic Nat (without the freakish leap).

He'll take a while, but I'm confident he will be a worthy investment.

I have no issue with us using a second rounder on Goad
Yup, to me the only question is in the fullness of time who is better, Goad or Mitch Edwards.....at the time of the draft, I thought Edwards more likely to play sooner, but Goad athletically could be anything.......remains to be seen.

Yup, to me the only question is in the fullness of time who is better, Goad or Mitch Edwards.....at the time of the draft, I thought Edwards more likely to play sooner, but Goad athletically could be anything.......remains to be seen.

Just on that. The two other rucks who were going to be considered around those picks were Will Green and Mitch Edwards. Edwards hasn’t got out on the park yet due to a back injury and Green is having the exact same struggles that Goad is having at VFL level.

A0AB4FEE-41EC-49B2-84AC-029D7CE5515A.jpeg D5D1A891-455E-43E1-9ECD-52AC1D3E622C.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back