Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips has shown next to nothing at AFL level, how can anyone have him above anyone else in that group of 5?

Your assessment is outrageous, bordering on deranged. He’s a slow midget, not sure what we were thinking tbh.

I see a lot of Will in Spitta.

He was a decent player in a really sh*t team.

I suggest you go have a look at Cunnington, LDU's, Simpkin and Thomas' first few games.

Powell shits all over them and I'd have Phillips games this season much higher than all of them as well.

Phillips has shown a massive amount of class in everything he's done. Very clean, one touch and barely missed a target by foot, I'd argue almost elite by foot. This as a kid who was completely underdone. You will piss yourself when this kid is rock hard AFL fit, he's got the same sort of wheels as LDU out of the contest.

Comparison to Swallow is a bit laughable tbh.

LDU averaged around 8 touches a game from a heap of midfield minutes in his first 5 games and got dropped to the VFL for about 3 months before getting injured.

Thomas averaged 9 touches a game last year in his second year. Thomas had his first 20+ disposal game in his 35th game.

Simpkin averaged 8 touches a game in his first 6 games before getting dropped for a few months. It took Jy 35 games before he started consistently getting it 15+ times a game. Simpkin and Phillips played pretty much the same amount of games in their first years. I'd argue they played quite similar roles also, with alot at half forward. Phillips had 3 x 15+ disposal games, Jy had 1.

So basically, Will has all of next season to start getting it 15+ times a game to exceed those 2. I think he will average 17-20 touches a game next season.

Last edited:
I suggest you go have a look at Cunnington, LDU's, Simpkin and Thomas' first few games.

Powell shits all over them and I'd have Phillips games this season much higher than all of them as well.

Phillips has shown a massive amount of class in everything he's done. Very clean, one touch and barely missed a target by foot, I'd argue almost elite by foot. This as a kid who was completely underdone. You will piss yourself when this kid is rock hard AFL fit, he's got the same sort of wheels as LDU out of the contest.

LDU averaged around 8 touches a game from a heap of midfield minutes in his first 5 games and got dropped to the VFL for about 3 months before getting injured.

Thomas averaged 9 touches a game last year in his second year. Thomas had his first 20+ disposal game in his 35th game.

Simpkin averaged 8 touches a game in his first 6 games before getting dropped for a few months. It took Jy 35 games before he started consistently getting it 15+ times a game. Simpkin and Phillips played pretty much the same amount of games in their first years. I'd argue they played quite similar roles also, with alot at half forward. Phillips had 3 x 15+ disposal games, Jy had 1.

So basically, Will has all of next season to start getting it 15+ times a game to exceed those 2. I think he will average 17-20 touches a game next season.

No doubt, but we are talking about a pick 3 here, not a pick 40, I’d expect all that and more.

What about compared to Powell@ 13?

How much does the game plan they were inserted into make a difference? We went from a long kicking team (low possession) to the opposite under Noble.

John Longmire was our 3rd best forward in the 90s, just like Will may be our 5th or 6th or 7th best mid, it’s no slight on Horse given he was behind Carey and Corey, and I see the same sort of thing playing out with Will.

No doubt, but we are talking about a pick 3 here, not a pick 40, I’d expect all that and more.

What about compared to Powell@ 13?

How much does the game plan they were inserted into make a difference? We went from a long kicking team (low possession) to the opposite under Noble.

John Longmire was our 3rd best forward in the 90s, just like Will may be our 5th or 6th or 7th best mid, it’s no slight on Horse given he was behind Carey and Corey, and I see the same sort of thing playing out with Will.

LDU - Pick 4
Simpkin - Pick 12
Thomas - Pick 8

Game plan had absolute zero to do with the performance of those 3 in their first 2-3 years. Absolutely none.

It was down to their physical development and their inability to play for long periods (or at all in the middle)

LDU - Pick 4
Simpkin - Pick 12
Thomas - Pick 8

Game plan had absolute zero to do with the performance of those 3 in their first 2-3 years. Absolutely none.

It was down to their physical development and their inability to play for long periods (or at all in the middle)

You meh Will.

I like Will.

I think I prefer my reality over yours.

Jy is criticized, and rightly, for some appalling kicking, like along the ground type kicking, and also for some super over optimistic handballs that are shake the head wow
Nothing that can’t be tinkered with tho
His kicking lacks penetration and it is hard to see him become a reliable goal kicker , much like swallow as has been said
but other parts of his game are Fantastic, no doubt, his evasion and handball are Top Deck

as for Phillips
I looked at the Blues game the other nite…he was very very close to ripping things apart, tho it was only the Blues
Probably worried to much about making mistakes this yr

and I can remember watching TT and LDUand thinking…when is this going to happen
It’s happening

Jy is criticized, and rightly, for some appalling kicking, like along the ground type kicking, and also for some super over optimistic handballs that are shake the head wow
Nothing that can’t be tinkered with tho
His kicking lacks penetration and it is hard to see him become a reliable goal kicker , much like swallow as has been said
but other parts of his game are Fantastic, no doubt, his evasion and handball are Top Deck

as for Phillips
I looked at the Blues game the other nite…he was very very close to ripping things apart, tho it was only the Blues
Probably worried to much about making mistakes this yr

and I can remember watching TT and LDUand thinking…when is this going to happen
It’s happening
Go and watch I think the last qtr vs WCE. Phillips in the wet was able to find it and was seriously clean.

Give him a proper pre-season and a proper run in his natural position and he will show why he was taken pick 3.

The u18 vids of Willips make him come across as some hybrid between the manic defensive pressure, tackling and acceleration out of the contest that Swallow had (think that Adelaide game where he was caning it and collected 27 possessions in the first half) and the Cunnington vision, speed-slowdown and smarts we have all come to love.

I had Willips as No.3 pick behind Thillthorpe and DGB. Knowing North was never going to take an intercepting back and knowing Thillthorpe was unavailable, I was thrilled we called his name out. Such a great surprise. I would not change that selection in retrospect. He will be the heart of the engine room with Jy and Powell. Those three will be feeding to LDU, Thomas and Sleevo for a decade.

Just let that sink in.

I still think Cunners will be our best midfielder for the next 2 seasons maybe 3. All these jets around him will only help enhance his longevity. Same goes for Goldie. If those two maintain their levels then it’s the difference between the midfield breaking even and being a top 4 team.

I still think Cunners will be our best midfielder for the next 2 seasons maybe 3. All these jets around him will only help enhance his longevity. Same goes for Goldie. If those two maintain their levels then it’s the difference between the midfield breaking even and being a top 4 team.

Not sure about that.

Jy will 27 in 3 years and you would think at the absolute peak of his powers.

Simiarly, Thomas will turn 25 and LDU 26.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, Will is an elite kick…..and so good by hand that your brain can barely process what he ‘s just done,,,that equates to being good outside and inside, feeding it out and not getting caught HTB.

1. Jason
2. Thomas

Gap

3. Powell
4. Jy
5. LDU
6. Sleevo

Daylight and then more daylight.

7. Phillips
Yes! I see the gap!

Between your ears.
this would have to be your dumbest post ever. And that’s no mean feat.

People talking about JHF's defensive output need to go back and watch Willips' draft footage. The guy is also an animal defensively.

It is clear that Nobes and Brady are prioritising skilled, smart and defensively sound players going forward.
That would be like, ummm, the best available players?

People talking about JHF's defensive output need to go back and watch Willips' draft footage. The guy is also an animal defensively.

It is clear that Nobes and Brady are prioritising skilled, smart and defensively sound players going forward.
and we're getting rid of players who don't tackle

Sitting behind the goals during the 2nd bulldogs game this year, his defensive anticipation when they had the ball was better than any of our other mids.

Which players did we ditch who didn't tackle?

Robbie Tarrant, was last in tackles per game this year. Clearly we also need to ditch Larkey who was 3rd last in tackles per game.

20 is such an arbitrary number. Tarryn had 19 disposals in his fourth game and 19 and a goal in his 5th. He also averaged a third more possessions in his first year than his second, cos he only played 4 or 5 full games in his second year, out of the midfield. In his first year he;'d often play a quarter in the midfield, get 6 or 8 possessions and fade out of the game.

Jy played 6 games in a row in his first year then did his shoulder, then came back and played the rest of the year didn't he? I thought he'd only been dropped once, by Brad a few weeks before he was sacked. He came back from 1 game in the reserves and had 27 touches and kicked 2 goals. He averaged over one touch more than Will, kicked three times more goals and had 15 and 17 possession games.

But I agree about WAP - he was very impressive this year. He ran hard at the ball, used it very well and worked very hard.

Cunners has been getting tagged heavily in recent years. Opposition will have difficulty deciding who gets the attention in the near future. Good for Cunners’ longevity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back