Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe, maybe not.

You push Jy out to a wing and play TT and Sleevo off flanks then all the sudden we have the right amount of pure mids.

I myself believe in KPP over mids all day every day, but we are down a different path and I'm going along for the ride.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, though I’d like to see Simpkin play exclusively forward of centre. That should come as our mids develop.

Logan McDonald looking good tonight.

Just sayin'.
And
I’m a defender of Will, happy to give him time. I think that despite the narrative, he has shown some really promising signs.

McDonald on the other hand is a freak. Future top key forward of the competition. The fact he wouldn’t go as well in our current forward line, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been selected for the future.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with calling out our recruiting/list management/development. There are enough of examples of us butchering picks &/or development, to be concerned.

The reason this one stings is that McDonald was such an obvious selection & that pass surprised the majority of draft followers. Something that isn’t a first for our recruiters.

The gap between our drafting, recruiting & development compared to Sydney/Melbourne is stark. Simon Darymple is a ⭐️. We can point to Sydney academies all we like, but they regularly nail later picks like McInnerney, Warner. The fact that Darymple couldn’t say Logan McDonalds name fast enough, is concerning as we appear to be reading from a very different spreadsheet.
Good take Psi. North wanted to trade back as they thought Phillips would be available later. Personally I think Phillips will be a star, and the club rightly or wrongly has prioritised midfield quality. I think despite all the above, I think the head wobbling (not by yourself) when Will is out with Glandular fever is rubbish. Will will be a 30 possession gun, happy for someone to bookmark it

I agree with you, and I am a huge Phillips fan and think he will be a serious gun, but the three mids selected that year then JHF the next year just looks really unbalanced even on its own, let alone in the context of the rest of our list.
I think in the short term, yes. But with a bit of time it means a deep midfield rotation. The ability to have a 2nd rotation that generates scores is critical in the modern game. The next phase of the list build will be moving some of the excess fat in the list towards better key position depth. Which will be via draft, trade and FA.

I watched his highlights posted by a poster in his thread (apologies can’t remember who posted it) he’s deadly going forward.
In my ideal world he is playing a lot in the middle and going forward and kicking one or two. He is having a bad year but Jy is still a bloody good footballer, just hasn't had any form this year. I'm backing him to get back, he is the one who has a pretty high work rate that could overcome that. That's what I love about Will, he has a super high cruising speed and blows himself up from the pace he goes at. When he has the tank to support that workrate, he will be a bloody jet

Correct that everyone was surprised we took Philips over McDonald.

I guess the club would have assumed they had selected their key forwards in Larkey and Comben which obviously now is the sunny day scenario which hasn’t eventuated.

I mentioned DGB as at the time we only had McKay as anything that resembled a key back (and an aging Tarrant). He had a great game in WA against McDonald also which showed his worth.

Let’s see what happens with Will, we can just be hopeful at the moment. With what we have right now on the list, including the injured Comben, I’d still have personally taken DGB.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I wasn't.

Its actually the only time I've been relieved by a draft choice we made.

Hopefully Will gets to health and works out well for us.

McDonald looks good but personally I would have liked us select DGB at the time.

Consider it as Hansen Part II.

If DGB is some sort of weird acronym for Digby Morell, then I do not endorse this view!!

If DGB is some sort of weird acronym for Digby Morell, then I do not endorse this view!!
Denver Granger Barass. The guy taken after Will Phillips by Hawthorn. Probably the only player available who we should have taken instead of Will. But that's more true with hindsight and debatable anyway.

He destroyed Logan McDonald in a game in the WAFL iirc. Might have been some other game in WA.

Denver Granger Barass. The guy taken after Will Phillips by Hawthorn. Probably the only player available who we should have taken instead of Will. But that's more true with hindsight and debatable anyway.

He destroyed Logan McDonald in a game in the WAFL iirc. Might have been some other game in WA.
Yeah, McDonald was the flavour of the month in that draft because he played footy when all the Vic and Sa kids didn't and was playing 3rd banana in the WAFL, on blokes 4 inches shorter and 10 kgs lighter than him. He will br a good player, no doubt, but he isn't the burgeoning superstar that many peg him as. Lets see how he goes as the main guy when Buddy moves on.

Come on, don’t be down on Diggers. He gave us something ;-)

Getting back to Will, before getting another spray for being off topic, he showed plenty of poise especially finding targets on F50 entries.

My concern is the same as I have for Comben. They need to get on the park, Will Walker vibes are still fresh in my mind.

I agree with you, and I am a huge Phillips fan and think he will be a serious gun, but the three mids selected that year then JHF the next year just looks really unbalanced even on its own, let alone in the context of the rest of our list.
It’s a decent strategy. Not all mids will make it and if they do you can trade them out either to fill holes or keep high picks coming in.

I kept thinking to myself whilst at the game yesterday what would've been the difference when we just repeatedly butchered the ball inside 50 and then I thought, #29.

He has been sorely missed in terms of how we are extracting the ball from the defensive 50 and when it goes in. In most of our wins from last season he has featured in what he has been able to deliver despite the fact he wasn't able to play footy due to COVID.

His ability to find a target inside 50 is elite and that's what we're missing. Another elite kicking midfielder like him around the 50 arc ready to drill a sizzler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, McDonald was the flavour of the month in that draft because he played footy when all the Vic and Sa kids didn't and was playing 3rd banana in the WAFL, on blokes 4 inches shorter and 10 kgs lighter than him. He will br a good player, no doubt, but he isn't the burgeoning superstar that many peg him as. Lets see how he goes as the main guy when Buddy moves on.
He won't need to be the #1 kpf when buddy leaves. Sydney arnt that silly and will support their young guns with experience even if it's temporary

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a defender of Will, happy to give him time. I think that despite the narrative, he has shown some really promising signs.

McDonald on the other hand is a freak. Future top key forward of the competition. The fact he wouldn’t go as well in our current forward line, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been selected for the future.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with calling out our recruiting/list management/development. There are enough of examples of us butchering picks &/or development, to be concerned.

The reason this one stings is that McDonald was such an obvious selection & that pass surprised the majority of draft followers. Something that isn’t a first for our recruiters.

The gap between our drafting, recruiting & development compared to Sydney/Melbourne is stark. Simon Darymple is a ⭐️. We can point to Sydney academies all we like, but they regularly nail later picks like McInnerney, Warner. The fact that Darymple couldn’t say Logan McDonalds name fast enough, is concerning as we appear to be reading from a very different spreadsheet.
Supposedly a few clubs had Phillips at #1 in the draft and the talk was the swans wanted him as well.

I kept thinking to myself whilst at the game yesterday what would've been the difference when we just repeatedly butchered the ball inside 50 and then I thought, #29.

He has been sorely missed in terms of how we are extracting the ball from the defensive 50 and when it goes in. In most of our wins from last season he has featured in what he has been able to deliver despite the fact he wasn't able to play footy due to COVID.

His ability to find a target inside 50 is elite and that's what we're missing. Another elite kicking midfielder like him around the 50 arc ready to drill a sizzler.
His good kicking skills over 40 have been really the only trait he has shown so far. Just wait until he gets his body right and he is bringing the following each week:

-ferocious attack on the ball and man
-breakaway acceleration from the contest
-animalistic contested work
-Cunnington-like vision and hands
-leadership out the wazoo

He could legitimately be our best player if he can sort out his health concerns. I can’t wait to see the journey unfold over the next 15 years.

His good kicking skills over 40 have been really the only trait he has shown so far. Just wait until he gets his body right and he is bringing the following each week:

-ferocious attack on the ball and man
-breakaway acceleration from the contest
-animalistic contested work
-Cunnington-like vision and hands
-leadership out the wazoo

He could legitimately be our best player if he can sort out his health concerns. I can’t wait to see the journey unfold over the next 15 years.
Don't forget his ability to get to contest after contest.

I've lost where Will is at? He had glandular fever, came back and played a game or some games in the VFL, now he's back on the the injury list with an illness. I think I have missed something?

I've lost where Will is at? He had glandular fever, came back and played a game or some games in the VFL, now he's back on the the injury list with an illness. I think I have missed something?
Still has ongoing fatigue from it. Can't play or train without feeling off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back