Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

It is strange don’t you think?

I think there might be some issues with trying to do too much. He seems the type of kid that fully embraces what the coach wants from an inside mid. Maybe he just needs to narrow his focus first and win the footy rather than follow structures to the letter etc.

We have got absolutely zero basis to make any calls on why Will isn't playing. It could be injury, it could be load management, it could be disciplinary, it could be that he froths at the mouth when he sees St Kilda jumpers, it could be not listening to structures or whatever. We just can't possibly know

We have got absolutely zero basis to make any calls on why Will isn't playing. It could be injury, it could be load management, it could be disciplinary, it could be that he froths at the mouth when he sees St Kilda jumpers, it could be not listening to structures or whatever. We just can't possibly know

There's only 2 ratings around here.

AFL MVP and delist.

If wphil needs some time to get over having his developmental year canceled then so be it, everyone progresses differently. Perhaps comparing him to Lazzaro is unfair to both of them, we don't know where their ceilings are yet and they're different players.

From training that I’ve been able to get to he is definitely more advanced then powell

and on par with Lazzaro

No way.

1. Lazzaro
2. Powell
3. Phillips

If I was ranking them on most likely to debut so far in training.

Spicer and Ford play different positions (as does Lazzaro to an extent), but he'd be near the bottom of the grouping on what I've seen.

Powell doesn't have Phillips' body, but he's adjusted to the pace of AFL footy better imo.

Remember Phillips would have missed most of the 2020 NAB League with a knee injury. He needs a solid month of VFL football.

Last edited:
No way.

1. Lazzaro
2. Powell
3. Phillips

If I was ranking them on most likely to debut so far in training.

Spicer and Ford play different positions (as does Lazzaro to an extent), but he'd be near the bottom of the grouping on what I've seen.
I’ve liked Phillips cleanness around the ball as right up there with Lazzaro
Also have him as equal best kick along with Lazzaro but Phillips is better off the opposite foot which edges him

overall no issue Lazzaro playing but have Phillips comfortably ahead of powell

I’ve liked Phillips cleanness around the ball as right up there with Lazzaro
Also have him as equal best kick along with Lazzaro but Phillips is better off the opposite foot which edges him

overall no issue Lazzaro playing but have Phillips comfortably ahead of powell

Phillips has looked lost at times in the match sim. Tell tale sign of still adjusting to the pace of the ball movement.

Powell has looked very comfortable in that regard.

I think they will play a similar amount of AFL football this year.

^ Further, this is no knock on the kid, he is adjusting and hasn't played a competitive match in about 18 months. HE just needs some time.

You would think North fans would be more accustomed to this. LDU has been proclaimed as a bust both on here and around the AFL for the first 1-2 years of his career.

I don't think I'd trade LDU for a single u/22 player in the comp. He's a genuine top 10 player in the comp in the making. I'd argue from what I've seen at training, he's already in our best 3-4 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ Further, this is no knock on the kid, he is adjusting and hasn't played a competitive match in about 18 months. HE just needs some time.

You would think North fans would be more accustomed to this. LDU has been proclaimed as a bust both on here and around the AFL for the first 1-2 years of his career.

I don't think I'd trade LDU for a single u/22 player in the comp. He's a genuine top 10 player in the comp in the making. I'd argue from what I've seen at training, he's already in our best 3-4 players.
We also finally have the guy people wanted from his draft.

I would have thought Noble was pretty clear - there are others who performed a bit better and Will has things he’s working on. Pretty straight forward and pretty normal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would have thought Noble was pretty clear - there are others who performed a bit better and Will has things he’s working on. Pretty straight forward and pretty normal.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (pick 1) didn't play in the Dogs/Hawks game either. He's instead playing right now in a VFL practice game.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (pick 1) didn't play in the Dogs/Hawks game either. He's instead playing right now in a VFL practice game.

I guess some people are a bit surprised given Phillips has what looks to be AFL ready body, and is playing for a club that won 1 game out of 20 last season, unlike the Hagan situation which is different on both fronts.

Especially when skinny Powell gets a game. I think it’s ok to be a bit surprised but it’s also quite normal for a first year player to be deemed as not quite ready at this stage.

My uninformed view based on Noble's media commentary would be that it's likely currently a flexibility concern atm with Will.

There is no question IMO that in a couple years time he is going to be our go-to inside mid, he's the most natural midfielder we've brought into the club since Spitta/Cunners.

He's not ready to be the go-to mid yet, meaning he will have to spend periods on the flank & wing. It's clear from training reports that flank/wing isn't natural to him, so why would the break his confidence by playing him in that role yet.

He will play in the 2's and be the go-to mid, whilst being able to work on his flank/wing craft for periods.

Powell & Laz already have that flexibility, albeit likely not as strong in the middle, based on reports.

Absolutely no rush with Will.

I guess some people are a bit surprised given Phillips has what looks to be AFL ready body, and is playing for a club that won 1 game out of 20 last season, unlike the Hagan situation which is different on both fronts.

Especially when skinny Powell gets a game. I think it’s ok to be a bit surprised but it’s also quite normal for a first year player to be deemed as not quite ready at this stage.

I reckon on draft night we would've been surprised if he wasn't playing Rd 1, let alone a scratch match. After watching him at training a number of times you can see that he's not there yet when up against the big dogs. Powell is able to get involved in more subtle ways than Phillips at this point.

IMO, Lazarro has been the most impressive on a consistent basis out of all three. That's right now. That'll probably change over time

I reckon on draft night we would've been surprised if he wasn't playing Rd 1, let alone a scratch match. After watching him at training a number of times you can see that he's not there yet when up against the big dogs. Powell is able to get involved in more subtle ways than Phillips at this point.

IMO, Lazarro has been the most impressive on a consistent basis out of all three. That's right now. That'll probably change over time
Might be good for Will to realize that now that he's in AFL system, he's no longer guaranteed a game

He looks ready in photos but the kid is tiny compared to our other mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back