Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

He just hung corridor and gave little handballs all game. Which isn't worthy of a flame, but you could find literally 300 blokes to do that. Did he have a clearance? Did he gain even 100 metres? Did he have a bunch of tackles?

I'm not going to smash him because he wasn't s**t, but he didn't do enough to impact the game where he could even make a mistake.

Just a nothing game, really. Not worthy of praise or smashing.

Second quarter- 2 possessions 1 metre gained.
That’s not going to help us stay in a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not his fault he was taken pick three. There's plenty out there that didn't have the impact you'd hope.

One of my relos played with him in rep footy and against him in whatever comp it was at the time. Described him as "******* amazing "....it's not working out as hoped. It happens.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Not his fault he was taken pick three. There's plenty out there that didn't have the impact you'd hope.

One of my relos played with him in rep footy and against him in whatever comp it was at the time. Described him as "******* amazing "....it's not working out as hoped. It happens.

Couldn't give AF what pick he was, he's no good. He's not alone but for some reason people seem to defend his rubbish performances. He was terrible tonight, he came in after an average game in the VFL, he didn’t get a single coaches vote.

Couldn't give AF what pick he was, he's no good. He's not alone but for some reason people seem to defend his rubbish performances. He was terrible tonight, he came in after an average game in the VFL, he didn’t get a single coaches vote.
Good for you.

Done a good job on Rowell (who is one of the best contested players in the comp) in the first half. For whatever reason they changed it up in the 2nd half and he didn’t have much impact. He wasn’t amazing, but he wasn’t terrible. We have nothing to lose by playing him and giving him some continuity at AFL level (same goes for all the young-ish mids, Lazz ect).

Done a good job on Rowell (who is one of the best contested players in the comp) in the first half. For whatever reason they changed it up in the 2nd half and he didn’t have much impact. He wasn’t amazing, but he wasn’t terrible. We have nothing to lose by playing him and giving him some continuity at AFL level (same goes for all the young-ish mids, Lazz ect).
Yes, and given that Jy wasn't playing, who else takes that midfield spot? Eddie Ford is pressing but he's not a midfielder. Otherwise, the cupboard is empty.

I find it really hard to believe that it is reasonable to make calls on players like Phillips at the moment when just about every player looks useless. I'd suck it up and give him a good handful games either way at the moment.

Yes, and given that Jy wasn't playing, who else takes that midfield spot? Eddie Ford is pressing but he's not a midfielder. Otherwise, the cupboard is empty.
Will is too weak to compete at stoppages and then gets torched on the spread. If he had one elite trait I could understand persisting with him, but he doesn't. He is a complete liability and only exacerbates our weaknesses. We are struggling in the middle and rather than play someone who can help George and Luke we have them babysitting the work experience kid.

I think we should use Curtis and Zurhaar in bursts at centre bounces and McKercher and Sheezel elsewhere. Basically play players in roles that take advantage of their strengths rather than expose their weaknesses.

Will is too weak to compete at stoppages and then gets torched on the spread. If he had one elite trait I could understand persisting with him, but he doesn't. He is a complete liability and only exacerbates our weaknesses. We are struggling in the middle and rather than play someone who can help George and Luke we have them babysitting the work experience kid.

I think we should use Curtis and Zurhaar in bursts at centre bounces and McKercher and Sheezel elsewhere. Basically play players in roles that take advantage of their strengths rather than expose their weaknesses.
He played on Rowell who is averaging 8 clearances a game , 2nd in league after Liberatore. Last night Rowell had 3.

Last year Will averaged 4 a game same as Wardlaw and Simpkin but this average was also impacted by two games as sub. and long stints not playing on the ball and/or with low % of time on ground. When he did play midfield for long stints last year he got the clearances and we also played well as a team. Worth remembering that two of those games last year were against Swans and Collingwood midfields.

Also worth remembering one B Cunnington averaged 4 clearances a game in the 3rd year of his AFL career

I fully agree Will is not performing to his potential and seems to be running around at half pace. But when he does play to that potential he’s shown he’s a very good footballer.

Even last night he was a standout in the quality of his disposal. How many of our turnovers, clearly our number one problem, were down to Will?

I think he’ll get there and be a standout midfielder by his mid-20’s. Hopefully that will be with North.

Yes, zurhaar, definitely not a walking talking liability himself...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back