Player Watch #31 Rhyan Mansell

Remove this Banner Ad

As I always say quietly to myself when reading the boards, you can tell the posters who have actually played football (or at least some other sport) at something resembling a high level, and those people who didn't, couldn't and wouldn't - invariably, the ones who run their mouths off the loudest abusing players for not meeting their drawn from zero experience standards.

it's an understatement to say that there's an enormous gap in understanding what it actually takes to do what players do. If you've never tried to kick a footy straight when your legs are burning, your boots are full of sweat and you can hardly stand up, then you have no idea how difficult it is.

Of course, we expect professional footballers to be pretty good at overcoming those things, but those expectations must be tempered by a player's age and experience. The kid's copped more abuse than Lynch did for missing that sitter in Brisbane and I don't hear anyone saying Lynch should be banished from the seniors forever, is not a 'natural forward', is a 'choker' or whatever.

Nige had a great game overall last night and obviously, if 21 other players didn't have really poor games, or good games that were obviously not good enough, he wouldn't have been put in the position of needing to play hero.

If we'd played to 40% of our best we wouldn't have put him in that position.

When you go through the team sheet after the game and measure realistic expected output V actual output from the game, Mansell should end up the highest praised. His last two games have been among the best pressure forward games anyone has played since the flags - and he's had a lot less to work with than those days.

Instead, the clueless jackal squad have their teeth in him...experts in football and fairness that they are...filling page after page with their well researched and reasoned pixel vomit. ;)
pump up his tyres if you want for some of the OK things he's done, Say It Anyway You Like, but there is no way any senior footballer who has played 20 odd games or more especially if nimble, medium-sized and fit should be missing 2 absolute gimmies he has twice in crucial times in crucial games. sorry no excuses for him.

Last edited:
Really pleasing to see how well Mansell played yesterday. His willingness to fight for the ball at ground level, even when outnumbered helped create at least 3 goals. Has taken his game to a new level this year, where his not just a defensive forward, but he is now a option to use when we're bringing the ball forward.

Really pleasing to see how well Mansell played yesterday. His willingness to fight for the ball at ground level, even when outnumbered helped create at least 3 goals. Has taken his game to a new level this year, where his not just a defensive forward, but he is now an option to use when we're bringing the ball forward.
Also some of his marking the last 2 weeks is vice like.

Courageous and nasty whilst bobbing up for goals most weeks. . He has a role to play.

He has developed a lot and found a role that suits his traits to a tee. Credit to him as he looked in the battler category in recent years. If he can play to this level consistently there's no reason he can't play a lot.

He should be aiming for at least a goal a game to go along with his defensive efforts.

He kind of reminds me of a modern version of Jake King. I wasn't a fan of King when he played half back but when he switched to a forward in a defensive role he was a valuable role player.

He has developed a lot and found a role that suits his traits to a tee. Credit to him as he looked in the battler category in recent years. If he can play to this level consistently there's no reason he can't play a lot.

He should be aiming for at least a goal a game to go along with his defensive efforts.

He kind of reminds me of a modern version of Jake King. I wasn't a fan of King when he played half back but when he switched to a forward in a defensive role he was a valuable role player.
Was going to say he has a bit of the Jake King about him. He does like to fly the flag real quick and once he starts to get a bit more solid in the core and body he could also start to seriously get hold of players in the tackle.

I gotta admit that I’m the first to call for his head. But he has found a role for himself under Yze that is more than just a chaotic mess he was under Dimma.

Gotta admit his hands have been strong for a little fella

Staggering that people were questioning his worth 12 months ago far less leading into this match . Has alot Liam Baker like traits and may end up near his level at some stage .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really pleasing to see how well Mansell played yesterday. His willingness to fight for the ball at ground level, even when outnumbered helped create at least 3 goals. Has taken his game to a new level this year, where his not just a defensive forward, but he is now a option to use when we're bringing the ball forward.
Very smart footballer
For one not that big
He uses his body Very
Well in marking contests
And he is as tough as tungsten steel
Love him in our 22

I'd definitely seriously look at him
North will give him away for nothing
Seriously talented just the player we need
* that
Culture killer

He’s had enough chances and pissed them all away