Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I dont have a problem with players chasing the best deal.

A footy career is very brief. If I had the talent of Jordan Dawson Id be looking to set myself up for life.

Always a bit sad when I see a player have to do some sh*t job post career.

We got good value from Dawson as a player and if we get something good back in a trade it will work out ok.

I understand the dynamics but we should'nt kid ourselves. They get paid a crazy amount of money very early in their working life, they also have ample time to study and/or prepare for their next career change. Its a massive springboard. If they don't it's on them and their Mr 10%

Don't get me started on soccer players...

Players and their managers have something to answer for in this space. If we are not to speculate on motivations come out and front up to the supporters and tell them why you are leaving or staying and don't sugar coat it to make yourself not look greedy. Dawson said swans fans have nothing to worry about than went into hiding. It looks like someone offered him a better deal in the interim. I don't know of anything that changed in his family circumstances in a couple of weeks. That's the same way it was when he said what he said. Stephens is in hiding also.
I mean it was the start of July when he said we shouldn't be nervous, hardly a few weeks and hardly went into hiding.

I reckon the myth that he said we shouldn't be nervous immediately before jumping ship will go down in my memory like the one where Mitchell left because we didn't play him.

Max Gawn did two ACL’s in his first three seasons and only had 4 games to his name.

Sometimes players need a little luck with injuries to get a clear run at it. Unfortunately Naismith hasn’t been blessed with such luck. Fortunately Gawn has and it’s clear to see why Melbourne showed the faith.

The problem with Blind Freddie is that he needs Captain Hindsight to lead him.

We are comparing Naismith to Gawn?

Official. Shark jumped by Fonz

I think the shark has been jumped by you. He’s comparing knee injuries, not ability.

How many times has SN does his knee??

The 3 years was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. SN medical history had a much higher risk profile than Gawn.

Gawn is 29yo and played 158 games.

Naismith 29yo and played 30!

So not comparing ability - im comparing medical history. And they are miles apart.

And its a stupid comparison.

Last edited:
How many times has SN does his knee??

The 3 years was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. SN medical history had a much higher risk profile than Gawn.

Gawn is 29yo and played 158 games.

Naismith 29yo and played 30!

So not comparing ability - im comparing medical history. And they are miles apart.

And its a stupid comparison.
Naismith signed the three year contract way back in 2018.

2018 was only the second uninterrupted season in Gawn's entire career and he had been on Melbourne's list for 9 years. Naismith at that point had been on our list for three years.

FWIW I gained the impression he was signed for one year solely so that he can get the medical treatment he needs.

They would be covered under insurance for any injuries sustained while they were playing. They do not have to remain on a list to get medical treatment.

I was browsing club forums and saw the thread title, almost spat my coffee out, very funny. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would be covered under insurance for any injuries sustained while they were playing. They do not have to remain on a list to get medical treatment.

I was browsing club forums and saw the thread title, almost spat my coffee out, very funny. :)

Yes of course he would be covered, but I saw it more as a player welfare issue. On the one hand Naismith could be jettisoned, then independently going to doctors, physios etc and submitting the accounts. On the other he could doing his rehab etc "in house", with the Club physio, at the Club gym with the other players etc. The Club was sending a signal that it will look after players.
That was my impression. Of course I could be completely wrong.

To what extent do we think Blakey can fill the hole left by Dawson’s departure? Not completely dissimilar roles.
I'm very excited for his year next year. I'd like to see him spend the whole year down back with bursts on the wing as his confidence grows. If he can continue to develop his contested marking game, with his scintillating speed, he could very well end up being a more damaging player than Dawson IMHO.

I'm very excited for his year next year. I'd like to see him spend the whole year down back with bursts on the wing as his confidence grows. If he can continue to develop his contested marking game, with his scintillating speed, he could very well end up being a more damaging player than Dawson IMHO.
With McInerney as his partner in crime. The dynamic duo!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back