Player Watch #40: Eddie Ford

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect. Saw it with Brions last night, " arrogance "

Can't buy that in Puckle st. šŸ‘

He had a few bigger older opponents today, and he let them know quickly that he didn't give a * about that, and they got the message.

Still has a few too many "almost" moments at present, but the potential is undeniable.

He had a few bigger older opponents today, and he let them know quickly that he didn't give a fu** about that, and they got the message.

Still has a few too many "almost" moments at present, but the potential is undeniable.

Interesting game tomorrow because I'd say (no injuries allowed) Eddie will feast on a poor game by Taylor in particular. Those almost moments can sometimes be ironed out in front of a bigger crowd of fans. Either way from what I've seen he's very close to a debut.

Interesting game tomorrow because I'd say (no injuries allowed) Eddie will feast on a poor game by Taylor in particular. Those almost moments can sometimes be ironed out in front of a bigger crowd of fans. Either way from what I've seen he's very close to a debut.

I wouldn't promote him yet.

When the "almost" moments start to deliver, then he'll be ready to roll.

I wouldn't promote him yet.

When the "almost" moments start to deliver, then he'll be ready to roll.

In a perfect "not North's 2021 injury list" world I totally agree. His hand is waving though.

In a perfect "not North's 2021 injury list" world I totally agree. His hand is waving though.

No doubt. A stronger North VFL side would give him a lot more opportunities and a faster path also.

I'm not exaggerating here, he has the raw materials of a matchwinner.

Last edited:
I'm with you; great to see him put something on the scoreboard in a win, but also worked his backside off last week when they got belted

No doubt. A stronger North VFL side would give him a lot more opportunities and a faster path also.

I'm not exaggerating here, he has the raw materials of a matchwinner.

I'm with you on that. Draft night I was pleasantly mystified with the smoke and mirrors behind Phillips, very happy with Powell but the night ended with me telling the wife "f*** yes we got Eddie Ford". His whole path was grit and I liked everything I heard about this kid on the lead in (how can you resist a kid that messages Freo saying he wants to play like Nat Fyfe, please send tapes?).

Ford was impressive throughout the contest as he finished with 2 important goals amongst his 17 disposals.

Adams says Ford has been threatening to unleash a performance of such high standards for a number of weeks now.

ā€œThe great thing about ā€˜Fordyā€™ is his work-rate is AFL standard, itā€™s more about harnessing his running patterns to allow him to have more influence on the game,ā€ he said.

ā€œWe saw today that when we actually get our ball movement right he can be really dangerous up forward.

ā€œWhen he flew he almost always looked like he was going to take a mark, but they were just able to get a fist in ā€¦ I think the more he can continue to learn structures and the game plan, the better he can be.ā€

First time I've had a good look at Ford yesterday. He looks like a player that is a few moments going right away from being too good for the level. Lot of potential.

Ford was impressive throughout the contest as he finished with 2 important goals amongst his 17 disposals.

Adams says Ford has been threatening to unleash a performance of such high standards for a number of weeks now.

ā€œThe great thing about ā€˜Fordyā€™ is his work-rate is AFL standard, itā€™s more about harnessing his running patterns to allow him to have more influence on the game,ā€ he said.

ā€œWe saw today that when we actually get our ball movement right he can be really dangerous up forward.

ā€œWhen he flew he almost always looked like he was going to take a mark, but they were just able to get a fist in ā€¦ I think the more he can continue to learn structures and the game plan, the better he can be.ā€
I hope he gets to play at least one game of seniors this season. Not due to another injury but because he has earned it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I stated, "almost".

He's not quite there yet, but look out when he arrives.

He's worth going to the VFL to watch all by himself.

Wonder if he pushes guys like curtis out of the best 22?
Similar playing styles?

Could do. Ford has a harder edge and probably more accomplished in the air.

Just wouldn't have the tank that CT has at this stage.

I'd be in no rush to see Ford debut, Half forward is the hardest position on the ground to debut on.

Let him continue to build in the two's and give him a token game or two later on in the season unless he kicks the door down before that time.

Wonder if he pushes guys like curtis out of the best 22?
Similar playing styles?

RF08 nailed it.

Eddie is a lot more physical because he's bigger, and I would reckon that Curtis would have the better fitness at the moment.

If they play him next round you can bet that he'll do something that makes people take notice.

I wouldn't play him in the AFL yet either, but I would state that about a few others who are getting a senior game right now.

I'd be in no rush to see Ford debut, Half forward is the hardest position on the ground to debut on.

Let him continue to build in the two's and give him a token game or two later on in the season unless he kicks the door down before that time.

Thereā€™s something about this kid in that he never looks beaten - think heā€™s got a massive ticker to add to his talent.

Without being disrespectful I think it's silly to say he's more accomplished than Curtis in the air. Curtis has taken some fantastic marks in multiple AFL games, it's been his most impressive trait I would say. Not to say Eddie can't become a serious player but think you've undersold CT a little there

Without being disrespectful I think it's silly to say he's more accomplished than Curtis in the air. Curtis has taken some fantastic marks in multiple AFL games, it's been his most impressive trait I would say. Not to say Eddie can't become a serious player but think you've undersold CT a little there

Curtis has taken some spectacular marks, but heā€™s also been fairly uncompetitive in the air for the majority of his games this year.

I could count on one hand the amount of contested marks heā€™s taken and heā€™s had plenty of contests.

Itā€™s not an outrageous comment

Curtis has taken some spectacular marks, but heā€™s also been fairly uncompetitive in the air for the majority of his games this year.

I could count on one hand the amount of contested marks heā€™s taken and heā€™s had plenty of contests.

Itā€™s not an outrageous comment
He certainly has struggled this year which has been dissapointing as alot of people probably penciled him in as a part of the next gen of youngsters that could be game changers based on what he has shown. I just think it's a little premature to label Ford as a better mark despite never playing a game. Nothing like new shiny toy syndrome. I'll back CT in to turn it around

He certainly has struggled this year which has been dissapointing as alot of people probably penciled him in as a part of the next gen of youngsters that could be game changers based on what he has shown. I just think it's a little premature to label Ford as a better mark despite never playing a game. Nothing like new shiny toy syndrome. I'll back CT in to turn it around

No doubt Taylor can take mark of the year.

The problem is he canā€™t take the other 99% of body on body contested marks he has to compete for.

Heā€™s still a twig however. Plenty of time.

Is not disrespectful to say Ford plays with a more aggressive and harder edge. He was known for that in the u/18ā€™s.

No doubt Taylor can take mark of the year.

The problem is he canā€™t take the other 99% of body on body contested marks he has to compete for.

Heā€™s still a twig however. Plenty of time.

Is not disrespectful to say Ford plays with a more aggressive and harder edge. He was known for that in the u/18ā€™s.
Not wrong on that first point, he needs to step up on more than 1 area of his game this year, hopefully just growing pains with a new coach. Another big preseason will help there.

I didn't claim CT was more aggressive In my post, only mentioned the marking šŸ˜‰

Don't take this as me discounting Eddie, he is an exciting prospect and I hope he can come in and make an impact when he gets his opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back