Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

That freakish right to left curve in his 2nd shot cost us the game.

It was as if Gil McLachlan had the entire AFL administration all breathed in and blew hard to steer that ball away from the middle of the goals, because that's where it was heading off the boot. Bizarre really.

I'd like him to play like Micky Conlan (I'm ex Fitroy). He already reminds me of him, he's just got to more bossy & selfish.

Fk you all, I'm going to get this ball and run and kick a goal.
I was trying to think of the last bloke we had in our forward line who plays like Zurhaar. I was thinking maybe it was Keka?

I was trying to think of the last bloke we had in our forward line who plays like Zurhaar. I was thinking maybe it was Keka?

Sam was a better mark, but the powerhouse style of play is otherwise very similar.

I was trying to find footage of keka but it’s hard to find. Came across this though, worth a watch For sure

Sam Kekovich in 1969 was like the coming of Wayne Carey in 1994. He literally made the entire football world stand up and go WTF!

It's such a pity that injuries and a blase attitude curtailed his career, because he had it all.

My old man & others used to gush about the game in round 1 of 1971 when we were the reigning wooden spooners and Sam singlehandedly took apart the Carlton premiership side. He outright bashed 3 or 4 of them, including Walls & Crosswell. I mean, just think about it in modern terms. It was an ageless performance.

Are there any old timers here who can recall the game well? kangaroo7?, Hojuman?, sutcliffe's hotel?

Sam Kekovich in 1969 was like the coming of Wayne Carey in 1994.

He literally made the entire football world stand up and go WTF!

It's such a pity that injuries and a blase attitude curtailed his career, because he had it all.
Impossible to find footage of him. Such a shame. Any links you can provide be greatly appreciated.

Sam Kekovich in 1969 was like the coming of Wayne Carey in 1994. He literally made the entire football world stand up and go WTF!

My old man & others used to gush about the game in round 1 of 1971 when we were the reigning wooden spooners and Sam singlehandedly took apart the Carlton premiership side. He outright bashed 3 or 4 of them, including Walls & Crosswell. I mean, just think about it in modern terms. It was an ageless performance.

Are there any old timers here who can recall the game well? kangaroo7?, Hojuman?, sutcliffe's hotel?

Just to temper that knock on his attitude, it's clear that he was affected by the tragic death of his younger brother Michael in mid-1971.

Last edited:
He's been quiet in recent weeks, and started out quietly today as well. But when he got started, he became the Z again!
I agree something has been off with him. Started to find his mojo late in the game again. Was fantastic to see.

I have always thought Cam would make a line breaking half back. Look at the way he brushed past Hipwood to see what I mean. Having a player of his promise freezing to death in the forward pocket is OK in a team on top of the ladder but as others have said he needs to get into the game more.

The new King?

We have the rest of the season to try a few things.

I have always thought Cam would make a line breaking half back. Look at the way he brushed past Hipwood to see what I mean. Having a player of his promise freezing to death in the forward pocket is OK in a team on top of the ladder but as others have said he needs to get into the game more.

The new King?

We have the rest of the season to try a few things.

I reckon the plan would be for him to play in the midfield eventually. He’s been a bit quiet up forward this season but he’s still very dangerous around the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was trying to find footage of keka but it’s hard to find. Came across this though, worth a watch For sure

You cannot watch that enough, thanks for posting it. We played hawthorn four times in 75 for one win and three losses. We were not favorites that's for sure, and to win by near ten goals was an amazing achievement.

Just imagine if BF was around then, would have been a fun night.

You cannot watch that enough, thanks for posting it. We played hawthorn four times in 75 for one win and three losses. We were not favorites that's for sure, and to win by near ten goals was an amazing achievement.

Just imagine if BF was around then, would have been a fun night.

Hawthorn's end to the season looked strange - three straight losses, week off, beat us, week off, lost GF.

I wonder if we were starting to work them out - the losing margin decreased with each loss.

We’ve got a find a way to get him into the games more.
Essendon do this with Stringer. Often start him at the centre to spark him up and get an early touch.

The exact thing I’d want.
Start him in middle of every quarter to smash bodies and get involved.
I want this guy playing angry

The exact thing I’d want.
Start him in middle of every quarter to smash bodies and get involved.
I want this guy playing angry

He's talked in at least one interview about wanting to get a good hit in early because it really switches him on. Playing him on the ball early on is probably a good idea. Ideally you'd want him to be playing perfectly without that, but people are strange things and he's going to end up with spurts in the middle anyway, so I don't think there's much harm in getting him a touch or two, of ball and bodies, early on.

That match at the start of the 1971 season was the Sam Kekovich show. Simply amazing. First game for new coach Brian Dixon. And some young bloke debuted that day...Keith Greig. We were up and about.

I don't remember Sam taking out anyone in that game but the match in 1973 at Arden Street (around mid season) was different. Sam landed a haymaker on Crosswell early in the match. Brent ended up in hospital having his nose redeveloped. Not long afterwards, the ball was in Carlton's forward line and Walls took a mark at the same time that one Snake Baker ran past with his smiling elbow. That was the end of him. Happened right in front of where my dad and I were standing under the 'new' scoreboard. Can still hear the crack. Of course one umpire in those days and no video referrals. And we got up narrowly in the match! Big Mick Nolan kicked the sealer. Carlton squealed. The Snake Baker incident became a major news item, etc. Memories, memories.

I’m a massive Cam fan, but tbh I think if Garner or Turner were fit... they would have to come in for him now?

Defensive positioning is bad. Picks and chooses when to *really* chase. Flies for marks when he should be crumbing.

He's not in good form by by means. He turned it on for a quarter last week, but he didn't carry it into this one.

Not sure how concerned I am though. Young blokes go through form slumps and the team as a whole is bad to awful right now.

🤷‍♂️

Think he's just working his way through a development phase. Calibrating his swagger and confidence vs eating some humble pie and being a a foot-soldier.

Think he'll emerge from it as a more consistent version of the player who burst through in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back