AFL Autopsy 5 goal loss to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney: 36 scoring shots
Essendon: 26 scoring shots

Don't let the scoreboard flatter you, we got comprehensively beaten

As you’d expect considering Sydney are a top 4 side and we’re playing in Sydney. And at best we’re currently middle of the table.

There were parts of our game I really liked. We still have a lot of work to do, but I’m surprised that some people are forgetting we’re still a work in progress.

Agree.

Unfortunately neither of them stop the transition goals. Parish sounds like he worked on defensive efforts in the off season, and Rids is a great defender.

Need to sort out our defensive structure and/or our defensive running.

For ppl that have been at games (I was last week but right on the boundary), are we pushing up too much in offense?

I'm not live but it looks like our forward fifty players don't provide enough pressure so then our midfielders have to push up to cover which in turn pulls out defensive fifty players up to cover the midfield.

Essendon played with a lot of effort. We must give them credit for that. Usual negative posters wants to blame the usual whipping boys, blame a defensive scheme that that posters themselves wouldn’t know how to explain what instead they would rather see. Essendon wastes extra effort chasing poor kicks and poor handballs. Simply put, Sydney are better skilled. Yes we can improve defending but No defensive scheme stops elite kicking.

We knew coming into this game that we were going to battle defensively with match ups and that we didn’t have much skill level there. But what are the alternatives on our list? That’s why we hope that Ridley and Reid come good.

There's a fair class gap between the sides. Can't complain too much about the result.

I don't think any of McGrath, Hind, Heppell and Martin can defend so having them all back there is rolling the dice.

Tsatas looked ok in parts.

Nice aggression early but we couldn't sustain the run and the kicking skill gap was telling.

Agree.

Unfortunately neither of them stop the transition goals. Parish sounds like he worked on defensive efforts in the off season, and Rids is a great defender.

Need to sort out our defensive structure and/or our defensive running.

For ppl that have been at games (I was last week but right on the boundary), are we pushing up too much in offense?
Transition still a huge problem. Only forward fighting hard enough to put pressure is Gresham.

Marking still a big issue, esp inside 50. 19 to 9 in Swans favour.

Seriously though, to have Sydney have 2-year dips then be up there for the next 4+ years. It is a joke. With the salary cap, draft etc ... there is just no way this is possible. Being as rubbish as we have for so long says something about how bad things are at the club, however, Sydney remaining around the top 4 for nearly every year since 2005 is just utter crap.
(Academy) + Kinnear Beatson running rings around that f/wit dodoro.

Just out run. Not as aerobic or as fit as Swans. Some of it is list profile, some of it is not as consistently professional for as long as Swans have been.

Aside from that there were positives and in all honesty was expecting a lot worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Transition still a huge problem. Only forward fighting hard enough to put pressure is Gresham.

Marking still a big issue, esp inside 50. 19 to 9 in Swans favour.
Menzie had good pressure too IMO.

Seriously though, to have Sydney have 2-year dips then be up there for the next 4+ years. It is a joke. With the salary cap, draft etc ... there is just no way this is possible. Being as rubbish as we have for so long says something about how bad things are at the club, however, Sydney remaining around the top 4 for nearly every year since 2005 is just utter crap.

You can say the same about The Cats, but I think those clubs just have very high quality football programs and they do really well with picks in the draft/trade etc.

Of course. But the Swans are a contending team at home and we went with him in most aspects of the game.

We need to keep bringing in Talent and runners.

Ridley/Redman for Heppell/Hind would have been huge tonight.
Yes but wouldn’t have stooped it streaming through the corridor consistently

Performed better and threatened more for longer than the Pies in Melbourne and Dees and scored over 100 points against them which the other teams couldn't do so it was a fair effort from the boys. Day and night with how we ended last year. Just wasn't our day but we can walk away with our heads up high and prepare for next week.

I thought we were pretty good to be honest. We knew transition defence was going to be a problem, if Hawthorn can expose it the odds of it being fixed in time to shut down Sydney are zero. We had a real shot at winning that game, scoreboard flattered them.

Midfield is a massive positive so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back