Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

He's hit a roadblock in his development, needs to go back to the twos and find some confidence, he just looks like he isn't too sure of himself out there.
Yep decision making needs serious work in the vfl

He’s not afl ready to be able to impact with his lack of size also

Dare I say - he has looked decidedly 'vanilla' so far this year.

But imo he is a winger where he can run, link up and create - he is not a forward pocket type.
His overhead marking and goalkick last year would like a chat.

Today he was neither though. Not a good game.

Give him a run in the magoos for a couple of weeks and let him learn to accumulate again and get some confidence. I'm not giving up on Bailey, but he has a lot of hard work to do.

Has a long way to go. He isn’t getting involved anywhere near enough.

It’s not through lack of effort though. He is busting his arse with run but things just aren’t going right for him.

Get the feeling he isn’t suited to playing wing. once he gets his strength up I think he is more suited to playing as a running half back

Has a long way to go. He isn’t getting involved anywhere near enough.

It’s not through lack of effort though. He is busting his arse with run but things just aren’t going right for him.

Get the feeling he isn’t suited to playing wing. once he gets his strength up I think he is more suited to playing as a running half back

He works hard right up until the contest and then just meanders. Kind of like the reverse of those blokes who do nothing all day but go 100% when the ball is in their vicinity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He works hard right up until the contest and then just meanders. Kind of like the reverse of those blokes who do nothing all day but go 100% when the ball is in their vicinity.

Fair. I think he just doesn’t have the build or physicality to impact a lot. 1 v 1s on the run he can make it work with with nouse. I’d personally be resting him from AFL level in the next couple of weeks.

Dare I say - he has looked decidedly 'vanilla' so far this year.

But imo he is a winger where he can run, link up and create - he is not a forward pocket type.
a smart man called out these issues early on

bailey just isn't best 22 - work on his craft in vfl, lock in gym etc come back next year with a chance to impact

He’s a 20 year old link up player.

Our link up is basically non existent besides bursts, hence he is struggling at times.

Funnily enough to those questioning his disposal, he ranks above average in kicking efficiency. He will be fine, just needs time.

His skills aren't as good as they were in previous years though. DE down, clangers and turnovers significantly up. Plenty of things are reasonably contributing to it, but that doesn't make it a non-issue.

He plays predominantly on the outside, so if he can't capitalise on his skills sooner or later his career might be in trouble. I still think he has a good chance of forging a solid wing/forward career, but currently he's not devloping as well as I would have liked.

His skills aren't as good as they were in previous years though. DE down, clangers and turnovers significantly up. Plenty of things are reasonably contributing to it, but that doesn't make it a non-issue.

He plays predominantly on the outside, so if he can't capitalise on his skills sooner or later his career might be in trouble. I still think he has a good chance of forging a solid wing/forward career, but currently he's not devloping as well as I would have liked.

Yeah ofcoarse he has things to improve on. I’m just not doom and gloom at 20 years old & 22 games, when we are 0-5 and he’s getting minimal support (as all our kids are) from senior players.

Happy for him to work on his craft at VFL level, however I think he’s had some solid games this year (18 Disposals & 1 goal, 17 Disposals & 2 goals).

The thing that is baffling , is that he was on fire in the preseason.
His old man needs to get hold of Bailey’s collar , in his ear & toughen him up ! Maybe show him a video or 2 of him playing for us . He had courage & natural toughness personified 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back