Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Lol. I have never heard a coach claim a footballer was inaccurate (aka bottling it) because they had worked so hard.
Is that something Longmire actually said? I didn't mention it the post you were quoting.

FWIW I don't think his accuracy issues last year would have had anything to do with fatigue. He just seemed to be in a slump so probably a confidence thing.

Is that something Longmire actually said? I didn't mention it the post you were quoting.

FWIW I don't think his accuracy issues last year would have had anything to do with fatigue. He just seemed to be in a slump so probably a confidence thing.
My insider told me a couple of weeks ago

I think you are dramatically overrating Rowbottom and Florent if you think they are significantly better players than Hayward.
I think Rowbottom has the potential to be a lot better than both. Completely agree on Florent though.

He's so much better than guys like Wicks and Fox objectively

Fox was second best on ground for us in a Grand Final and Wicks puts as much pressure on players as Hayward and can kick as many goals, has more heart and he gets paid less.

Whereas Hayward basically choked in three to four games last year and zapped all of our momentum and spirit. This is from a guy in our leadership group. The only reason he's in the leadership group is because he's a good politician and sucks up to the coaches.

And if pressure was so important, then Ben Ronke wouldn't have been delisted.

In the past I've given players the benefit of the doubt to keep them in the team but I've seen enough from Hayward. I've never looked at him and thought 'wow.' He really is nothing special.

I don't agree about their being a huge gap.

Rowbottom is a pretty good player. Hayward is a pretty good player. Neither are stars.

At one point, I think in Rowbottoms second year, I remember thinking he was actually our best player and I noticed as time went on a lot of zip and flashiness he used to have was gone. I can only put this down to him doing the team thing. And his teammates back up my opinion, because they unanimously voted him the most underrated.

At no point in Haywards career have I thought he's anything special. It's always been 'potential.' Every goal he's ever gotten were just cheap gimmies or when the team itself is playing well. He's never had a moment where he stood up and took the game by the scruff of the neck.

I don't agree about their being a huge gap.

Rowbottom is a pretty good player. Hayward is a pretty good player. Neither are stars.
Both are middle tier players, not stars like Gulden or Daicos but definitely best 22 in just about any team. All teams are built on players like these.
I really don't get the lack of appreciation. They may not deserve a ticker-tape parade but they don't deserve a bollocking either.

At one point, I think in Rowbottoms second year, I remember thinking he was actually our best player and I noticed as time went on a lot of zip and flashiness he used to have was gone. I can only put this down to him doing the team thing. And his teammates back up my opinion, because they unanimously voted him the most underrated.

At no point in Haywards career have I thought he's anything special. It's always been 'potential.' Every goal he's ever gotten were just cheap gimmies or when the team itself is playing well. He's never had a moment where he stood up and took the game by the scruff of the neck.
He's not there to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. That's the point.

He's the guy you need when you're playing well, that is also the point...

And despite that he absolutely grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck in the 2022 final v Melb.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are middle tier players, not stars like Gulden or Daicos but definitely best 22 in just about any team. All teams are built on players like these.
I really don't get the lack of appreciation. They may not deserve a ticker-tape parade but they don't deserve a bollocking either.
I think everyone understands they are second tier players and every team needs them. Problem is they only compare them to our whole group and fail to realize they're probably the best amongst their tier in the comp. Once we get a 3rd tier zurhaar they might finally realize it. No club has a better quality 2nd tier mix than us.

I cant think of a single player across the comp that could replace Haywards role let alone be better at it. I also don't think there is a better mid than rowbum considered amongst their team as 2nd tier.

The difference is Reid was paid a ton, was giving a 5 year contract, and was injured half the time. McClean is getting paid nothing, doesn't get injured and rucks on the side.

I don't know why you think McLean is getting paid nothing. He would have cashed in on us not landing Larkey or Naughton and being the last man standing

I think everyone understands they are second tier players and every team needs them. Problem is they only compare them to our whole group and fail to realize they're probably the best amongst their tier in the comp. Once we get a 3rd tier zurhaar they might finally realize it. No club has a better quality 2nd tier mix than us.

I cant think of a single player across the comp that could replace Haywards role let alone be better at it. I also don't think there is a better mid than rowbum considered amongst their team as 2nd tier.

I expect the Dees’ Fritsch is not on big coin but I would swap him in a heart beat.

The major issue with Hayward is his inability to convert set shots with any sense of reliability. Have been convinced his future is down back. That takes the yips pressure off him. He was more than useful when played on the backline.

I expect the Dees’ Fritsch is not on big coin but I would swap him in a heart beat.

The major issue with Hayward is his inability to convert set shots with any sense of reliability. Have been convinced his future is down back. That takes the yips pressure off him. He was more than useful when played on the backline.
Last year his kicking for goal was poor. Over his career though he goes at about 60% which is decent (same as Luke Parker who's considered by many to be our most reliable kick at goal and Heeney, our other mid sized forward).

You think a guy that's kicked 150 goals over the last three years isn't on big coin?

You're better than that

Report suggesting we’re interested in Zurhaar, assuming that’s true, makes me think it’s a bit of contingency for if Hayward leaves. I’d suspect that if Hayward re-signs, we’ll no longer have any interest in Zurhaar.

Zurhaar plays Heeney role in the fwd line & allows Heeney to play more in the midfield. He would be a good acquisition imo.

You think a guy that's kicked 150 goals over the last three years isn't on big coin?

You're better than that.

There'd be a few ahead of him at Melbourne. Interesting question though.

Guess it depends on when his last contract was done. I reckon $650k absolute tops. What do you reckon?

There'd be a few ahead of him at Melbourne. Interesting question though.

Guess it depends on when his last contract was done. I reckon $650k absolute tops. What do you reckon?

I will guess 750 pretty easy and it's probably about to go up again with salary cap but who knows what sort of extras these guys get

Closer to Heeney's salary than Hayward's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back