Current 9yo Charlise Mutten - Blue Mountains * Justin Stein charged with murder

Remove this Banner Ad

This morning's 16 minute NSW Police media conference with extensive Q&A on this horrific case, including announcing the cause of death by gunshot.

'NSW Police re-appeal for information on the alleged murder of Charlise Mutten
#Live: NSW Police re-appeal for information to assist ongoing investigations into the alleged murder of nine-year-old Charlise Mutten.'

I'm late. Have they said what Charlise was shot with and where? What kind of a gun are they looking for? They should have said, or did I miss it? Shotgun, handgun ... what was it?
"Initial post mortem exam results had indicated a small calibre weapon had caused her death."

campaigner in Victoria shot his pregnant wife and 3 year old daughter with a speargun. He had to reload and shoot the daughter a second time because the first bolt didn't kill her. iirc, he even took her shopping with him when he purchased the spear gun.
Remember it fairly well - Sharpe. From memory he conducted a crocodile tears riddled press conference begging for his wife to come back before he was arrested.

I think he shot the daughter more than twice. Plainly he is one of the worst of this category.

I just want to know why she went off to that ratty caravan when she was supposed to be staying at the Wildenstein (I keep wanting to say Wilderpeople 😆) property. And did Charlise go with her?

*Edit, yes she did, I forgot
So, the above has not yet been explained, BUT... it looks like Charlise didn't go with her, according to the police interview, but stayed with Stein at Wildenstein for some unknown reason. Wonder why people at the caravan park said their kids played with Charlise, when it seems she wasn't even there... And what was the ferry that he and she were supposed to be on, when was that?

Seems to be a few red herrings out there.

That does look suspicious to me. I just dutifully reported it also. Performing my Karenly duties. Speaking of which, hope that radio broadcaster gets in trouble for that competition he ran on Charlise’s name.

Yikes - any cryptic heads up on who it was?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Prison pen pal system. And no, I'm not joking. I will see if I can find the article.

But they wrote to each other for something like 2 years?

I think that's one of the reasons they got engaged so quickly. They met for the first time in person in November 20 but had known each other through their penpal relationship for 2 years.

Sounds like what we used to call correspondence learning!

campaigner in Victoria shot his pregnant wife and 3 year old daughter with a speargun. He had to reload and shoot the daughter a second time because the first bolt didn't kill her. iirc, he even took her shopping with him when he purchased the spear gun.

That was a Mr Sh@rp.

So, the above has not yet been explained, BUT... it looks like Charlise didn't go with her, according to the police interview, but stayed with Stein at Wildenstein for some unknown reason. Wonder why people at the caravan park said their kids played with Charlise, when it seems she wasn't even there... And what was the ferry that he and she were supposed to be on, when was that?

There's more than one independent witness to Stein, his car and Charlise at the caravan park and on the ferry.

Given there's been no reports of any other vehicles seized for forensic examination and none that we've seen or read about as being connected to the mother, it looks like she doesn't have access to a car. Or if she does, the cops haven't found it.

How did she get to Wildenstein?

The mother's been released from the hospital and interviewed, no charges. Not yet anyway and at this stage given the cops have reiterated that she wasn't there when Charlise died, there probably won't be.

It strange that the footage released to the media of the car driving into the servo and along the road had the view through the windscreen blurred, or darkened, as in the shots with other cars you can see into all of them and see the outline of those drivers (at bit fuzzy but you can see how many are in the front seat of the cars). Maybe there was more than one person in the car towing the boat as why would you blurr it out if there was only the suspect in there which they know about.

It strange that the footage released to the media of the car driving into the servo and along the road had the view through the windscreen blurred, or darkened, as in the shots with other cars you can see into all of them and see the outline of those drivers (at bit fuzzy but you can see how many are in the front seat of the cars). Maybe there was more than one person in the car towing the boat as why would you blurr it out if there was only the suspect in there which they know about.

I wondered that too, but I think it might be because of subjudice rules ie people would then start commenting that it was "100% JS" etc.

I wondered that too, but I think it might be because of subjudice rules ie people would then start commenting that it was "100% JS" etc.

If there was two in the car, with one presumably helping I think they probably would have got the barrel into the river. We know it couldn't have been the mother Kallista because electronic records have her and the fiance in phone conversations over that period and they've been geotagged.

I don't think you would actually be able to see who was in the car given the quality of the picture (you can just make out the outlines of the other drivers but nothing to give their identity), but it would show how many were in the car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media has already reported that Kallista Mutten recently got her drivers licence back.
Maybe she borrowed a car from someone.

'Ms Mutten had recently gotten her driver’s licence back after a long suspension following her conviction for dangerous driving occasioning death.'

There's more than one independent witness to Stein, his car and Charlise at the caravan park and on the ferry.

Given there's been no reports of any other vehicles seized for forensic examination and none that we've seen or read about as being connected to the mother, it looks like she doesn't have access to a car. Or if she does, the cops haven't found it.

The mother's been released from the hospital and interviewed, no charges. Not yet anyway and at this stage given the cops have reiterated that she wasn't there when Charlise died, there probably won't be.
So maybe Stein drove Kallista and Charlise to the caravan park on the Tuesday and Charlise played for a while with some other kids then Stein took her back to the property later in the day. When did the ferry trip happen, and from where to where?

He must have picked up Kallista on the Friday. It will be interesting to find out the purpose of her stay at the caravan, seems a long time to be away from her daughter.

Maybe she borrowed a car from someone.

No mention of any other cars there, it should have been seized imo whether it was registered to her or not. It's NSW Police who presumably have taken lessons from the William Tyrrel case where cars that were on the property the day he went missing, are being seized for the first time for forensic examination years later.

So maybe Stein drove Kallista and Charlise to the caravan park on the Tuesday and Charlise played for a while with some other kids then Stein took her back to the property later in the day. When did the ferry trip happen, and from where to where?

He must have picked up Kallista on the Friday.

He drove off the property at 4.30am on the Friday morning with his headlights off. Nobody seems to have spotted him going in and out before or after that.

Maybe he took off when he heard from the mother or the grandmother that someone was on their way over.

He drove off the property at 4.30am on the Friday morning with his headlights off. Nobody seems to have spotted him going in and out before or after that.

Maybe he took off when he heard from the mother or the grandmother that someone was on their way over.
How did Kallista get back, and when?

Motive will be a big question for a prosecution. Stein might try to frame it as an accident, which in the circumstances right now I don't think anybody would believe.

“It’s terrible, not only the fact that she was a nine-year-old girl, but also the circumstances of her death are unimaginable,” Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty alleged while addressing the media on Tuesday.

But Mr Doherty declined to speculate what could have possibly motivated someone to carry out the alleged murder.

He said he was mindful that Charlise’s 31-year-old stepdad, Justin Stein, who has been charged with murder and is before the courts, deserved a fair hearing.

It will be interesting to find out the purpose of her stay at the caravan, seems a long time to be away from her daughter.

Hopefully, not a case of Kallista Mutten knowingly allowing the accused enough time to kill Charlise and dispose of Charlise's body.

For me, the use of a gun pushes it into 'planned', or at least semi-planned, territory, rather that some drug fueled heat of the moment snap.

In NSW if you're simply caught with an unregistered, prohibited firearm or a pistol for example it can mean a long time in jail. If it's loaded, 14 years.

Based on the video above, NSW police have him disposing of Charlise at lower colo rd at 2:46am on Friday 14th Jan. It's about a 90 minute drive to Wildenstein so it fits the time line that he was seen leaving Wildenstein, minus the boat, at 4:30am.

I read she was at the caravan earlier

Remove this Banner Ad

Back