Autopsy AAMI Community Series, 2022: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as Paddy is, NN is ridiculously impactful on his team and their fortunes. Hence being clearly ranked No.1 in the comp in the official AFL player ratings (which is biased towards those who ruck, but still, they track every touch everyone has, and his are obviously hugely impactful).
Nic Nat is kind of like Ro+Paddy. His tap work is sublime but he also can take contested marks and become a big midfielder ripping clearances out of the ruck. But I did want to add that Paddy has a similar boost to our win %

For me elite players are top 5 of their position rucks probably top 3.

You're talking the absolute cream of the crop. I.e. in all Australian contention.

For mine steele is a lock. The rest gonna be a hard sell.

Sinclair looks like he can.

The rest need to get into the conversation... Wilkie could as a third tall defender. Membrey is capable if he can find consistency. King definitely can and will at some point IMO. Marshall showed some real signs but needs a full season to show it. Paton is in the Marshall boat. Hill if he can get some serious consistency absolutely can, he has all the tools.

Hanners Ross Jones crouch won't get there. Ryder is old now same with Webster and geary.

Gresham Clark coffield byrnes show small glimpses. Not enough consistency to even be in consideration yet.

Butler and Higgins show signs but again consistency is waning.

Howard needs to stop getting caught out on the lead.

Rest aren't worth mentioning.
We make the 4 and you will have a 5 Saints in the All Australian at least - amazing how things change when people jump on the band wagon.

We make the 4 and you will have a 5 Saints in the All Australian at least - amazing how things change when people jump on the band wagon.
If we manage to find 5 AA players then we will make top 4.

There's a reason why the selectors choose a lot of players from good sides.

It's because they are usually full of good players.

For me these are the players with potential to get to elite level next 2 years : King, Gresh, Coff, Higgins, Hill, Bytel, Marshall, Sincs. possibly Clark, but I doubt it.

Hopefully Gresh, Hill and Sincs this year.

This is excluding are under 20's.

Nic Nat is kind of like Ro+Paddy. His tap work is sublime but he also can take contested marks and become a big midfielder ripping clearances out of the ruck. But I did want to add that Paddy has a similar boost to our win %
However he is just about finished , may prove me wrong but age is a killer.

Hill for mine definitely has the potential to step up to “elite” this year. Many considered him the best in the comp on the wing prior to coming to us, and HBF is generally easier to play, so if he played to his potential and even previous best back there then it’s hard to see how “elite” isn’t within his grasp.

A lot will probably depend on how he handles the increased attention he’ll likely attract if he does go really well.

Gresham is one of a handful of guys in the comp who you would be confident of kicking 40+ goals if he played exclusively forward, and likewise getting about 30 touches a week if he played exclusively midfield, so that puts him in the “elite talent” bracket for mine.

Not there on production yet, but Brownlow votes in 4 of his last 8 completed games (and no votes in his last game, but 29 disposals, 10 inside-50’s, 9 clearances and a goal, against Melbourne’s elite midfield- from just 75% game time!) suggests he just needs a good run at it.

Now looks to have the fitness and professionalism that he lacked early doors and is moving incredibly well.

Yea we need 3 out of the following imo

Marshall
Clark
Jones
Sinclair
Howard
Wilkie
Gresham/butler

Assuming Steele continues

Yeah but we ain't making the 4

Look at the contested possession and clearance stats. That sees nic Nat way ahead of Ryder. As much as I love Ryde

Yea we need 3 out of the following imo

Marshall
Clark
Jones
Sinclair
Howard
Wilkie
Gresham/butler

Assuming Steele continues
Marshall would only get a game in the team on the bench - due to Gawn , Grundy
A small forward we would have a chance between Higgins and Butler
Half back we could easily get Sinclair or Hill picked
Wilkie and Howard could make it in the backline
Steele could make it but he would need to have a massive year like last year - as we know they fill the team with mids.
The big one for me is Max King we need him to really dominate and kick bags and win the Coleman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall was close to elite in 2019, good in 2020, injured and meh in 2021 when playing. He's potentially elite again but you can't rate players on potential or past form. Charlie Curnow is elite on that marker.
Go back and look at Marshall’s last 5 games last year and tell me that’s not elite.

Curnow has showed absolutely nothing but flashes. He’s nowhere near considered elite. At least Marshall has the output to back it up.

Can anyone get a clip of NWM in the play that him and Hill ended up botching between themselves?
I was sitting just where that play was.

It was botched as they both pulled out thinking the other would go for it.

With more experience NWM would have taken the ball. I suspect he deferred to Hill even though he should not have.

I was sitting just where that play was.

It was botched as they both pulled out thinking the other would go for it.

With more experience NWM would have taken the ball. I suspect he deferred to Hill even though he should not have.
Hill said after the game that Wang called him out of it.

Most rucks are 200cm tall.

Hayes had 4 hit outs for the game, it's hardly worth having him over Sharman if that is going to be his output.

He'll be coming up against 200cm every week. Hes going to struggle in there.

Not sure Sharman and Wood are really fighting for the same spot considering Wood plays high half forward to wing.

Woods role is closer to Billings than Sharman. Sharman plays as a genuine marking key forward.
He did exactly what was expected of him.

No one would have been thinking he would spoon feed the mids - he was expected to compete and as far as possible nullify the impact of his much larger opponents.

Watch his work on the boundary throw ins - he was great in not giving Draper or Wright clear access .

He did what was needed and as a result the side benefitted.

Coops is not a key forward, he's a classic hybrid like Gunston or Tom Lynch. He's talented but I reckon he needs to build his aerobic capacity a bit more to actually play that role and thats why Wood is ahead of him ATM.

Maybe he's been reading BigFooty a bit too much and has got a bit ahead of himself a bit.

Go back and look at Marshall’s last 5 games last year and tell me that’s not elite.

Curnow has showed absolutely nothing but flashes. He’s nowhere near considered elite. At least Marshall has the output to back it up.
Being elite means you're not waiting until the last 5 games of the year to show something.

Being elite means you're not waiting until the last 5 games of the year to show something.

Well considering he missed a big chunk of games through injury and then covid, I reckon to get himself in a position to show what he did in those last few games, was elite.

He did exactly what was expected of him.

No one would have been thinking he would spoon feed the mids - he was expected to compete and as far as possible nullify the impact of his much larger opponents.

Watch his work on the boundary throw ins - he was great in not giving Draper or Wright clear access .

He did what was needed and as a result the side benefitted.

Coops is not a key forward, he's a classic hybrid like Gunston or Tom Lynch. He's talented but I reckon he needs to build his aerobic capacity a bit more to actually play that role and thats why Wood is ahead of him ATM.

Maybe he's been reading BigFooty a bit too much and has got a bit ahead of himself a bit.
For someone that isn't a key forward his stats sure do suggest he is.

Averaging 1.8 contested marks, 2.5 marks inside 50 and 2.5 goals a game.

Completely different to Wood who averaged who averaged 0 contested marks and 0.3 marks inside 50.

Even Lynch and Gunston are different players relying less on contested marking and more on their running ability, pushing much higher up the ground.

Both average less than half of the contested marks Sharman has in his 4 games (Lynch around a third).

If Hayes is there just to nullify the opposition ruck I think he needs to be more of a threat outside of that.

So far on output I think Sharman clearly offers more to the side. No reason both shouldn't be able to fit in if Ryder doesn't play, but if we are worried we are going in too tall it's an easy decision for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back