Adelaide Oval: Trouble in Paradise

Remove this Banner Ad

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Adelaide Oval is the best venue in Australia and arguably is one of the greatest in world sport. The atmosphere at Port games is electric and is the envy of many other clubs in the comp. But the actual football….

Since 2015 I have found attending AO to witness a Port game a harrowing experience. I am always expecting to lose and the club often delivers. It is truly the field of disappointment. But is this feeling of despair justified? And if so, why are we so bad at the Oval?

The Stats Don't Lie

I am going to limit this analysis to home and away games since 2015. 2014 was a magical season at the former Portress but has been proven over the past few years to be the exception and not the rule.

In this time, Port has an overall 65W/52L record across all grounds, for a winning percentage of 55.6% overall. At AO, we have a 34W/27L record, for a winning percentage of 55.7%. Playing at AO means we win 0.1% more games. So effectively, our performance at home is the same as away. We would be no worse off playing all our games away.

An old adage in football is you want to play the best teams at home. You want to maximise every advantage that you get. So what is our performance like against top teams at AO? At AO, we have a 9W/20L record against top 8 teams for a 31% winning percentage. This is horrendous. Comparatively, away from home we have a 5W/14L record at 26.3%. So effectively we get a ~5% boost playing at home against top 8 teams, but off a very low base.

To summarise, since 2015 we have been dreadful at AO. But we all knew that. The real question is why.

But Why?

To me, there are several possible reasons for our under performance at AO.
  • Our game plan does not suit AO
  • Our players are mentally fragile and cannot handle the pressure of expectation
  • Umpires (to be investigated in another instalment...)
So let us explore the first two two reasons, starting with our ability to play at AO.

At AO we average 89 points for and away we average 87.5 points, for a 2.5 points advantage at home. At AO we average 76.6 points against and away we average 80.7 points against, for an advantage of about 4 points at home. Offensively the advantage is minimal and defensively the advantage is minimal. To me this shows that we really do not play AO well at all. This is quite the indictment on the current coaching administration that they have not developed a game plan which suits where we play most of our games.

Now moving onto mental fortitude.

Obviously, this is a difficult attribute to gauge without having an intimate understanding of the players thoughts. However, for me a good measure of mental fortitude is goal kicking, as measured by goals as a percentage of scoring shots. Mentally strong players kick straight under pressure. At home our goal kicking accuracy is 53% and away it is 51.5%. We are more accurate home. Maybe our players are mentally strong!

Well, another good way to measure mental fortitude is how we perform in close games. How do the players respond to the crowd willing them over the line? The stats say not fantastically. In games decided under 18 points at AO, we have won 10 games and lost 12. To me this is a sign of mental fragility.

So mental fragility or a poorly suited game plan? Why not both!

The Crowval

Our shocking performance at Adelaide Oval suggests something much more nefarious at work. Perhaps Max Basheer has put a curse the hallowed grass, or maybe the stadium is built on Leigh Whicker’s burial site.

If this was the case then Adelaide Oval would be just as cruel to the Adelaide Crows. But is this the case?

The Crows have a 41W/21L record at the AO (for a 65% winning percentage), compared to an overall 66W/50L record (for a 57% winning percentage). What’s more, the crows average 5 more points at AO than away games and on average concede 11 less points at AO than away games. They have a 16W/14L record against top 8 teams. In close games decided by less than 18 points, the crows have a 9W/8L record

The Crows historically have played AO well. They have a game plan which allows them to restrict scoring, and the mental fortitude to feed off the crowd in big games.

It’s not you Adelaide Oval, it’s us. We simply need to be better.

We don't play fast enough out of defence. Most years it's been by design, but last night it was due to a combination of our defenders not marking/handling the ball properly due to not having played a night game all year and the umpires making sure to pay all our free kicks in the back half which allowed the St Kilda players to get back and box us in.

Select a defensive 7 (6 + 1 rotation) of Watts, Burton, McKenzie, Hartlett, Clurey, Jonas and Byrne-Jones and it won't be a problem.

We are a mental case. Can't play to expectations, can't play when the game matters most, definitely got stage fright Infront of their home crowd. We seem to play better away where there is no crowd. Maybe players should noise cancelling headphones during home games so they don't s**t the bed constantly. Maybe a trip to Collective Mind might help.

I really don't think it has anything to do with mental fortitude specifically to the oval - possibly just the resilience of the team in general.

Imo the main issue is the game plan not really being suited to the oval itself.

AO is the second narrowest ground behind Kardinia Park - it's 167m long x 123m wide. For comparison our other home ground Metricon is wider at 135m and the MCG is one of the widest at 138m.

So what does a super narrow ground mean? Think about the context of how we like to play:

• Defending the corridor
    • This is pretty easy at AO as the defending team can sit in the corridor and fairly quickly move to the skinny side wing to set up
  • Moving the ball through the corridor
    • We're a "run-way" team according to Ken and the run-way at AO can get pretty clogged, very quickly.
  • Kicking backwards and sideways to switch angles
    • I actually think this is a good idea in general and we should continue to do this BUT if you imagine one of our defenders has the ball after marking and looks to switch - the players who want to receive the ball cannot get as much separation from defenders and subsequent space when they get the ball as they can on a wider ground
  • Setting a forward half press (read flooding the forward half) when opposition is trying to escape our 50
    • It's hard for the opposition to get out, but its also hard for us to pinpoint passes with a million people inside a narrow area (although this is relatively true of our gameplan on any ground)
  • Repeat i50s
    • If we don't intercept the ball coming out of 50 (and we don't lose possession) we force a stoppage. If we're doing s**t in the stoppage like we did versus St Kilda - we're going to struggle to score. Again not really purely to do with the size of the oval - but the narrowness of the ground gives less room to manoeuvre

We didn't play well at Football Park either once our premiership team disbanded - and even those guys didn't play well at Football Park when the pressure was on in September.

As a club, we can't handle expectation. Being expected to win is something we don't deal with well. Playing in front of your home crowd brings a heightened level of expectation - teams are expected to perform better at home and, in most cases, win at home. Most teams get an emotional lift from playing at home. We are dragged down by the expectation - you can visibly see the team turn into a nervous, fumbly, cautious mess. By contrast, when we play away and are not expected to perform, we generally play with much more freedom and positivity. I mean, we're the only team that had a winning record against West Coast at Subiaco Oval - how absurd is that?

This is all essentially now part of the fabric of the club, it's our culture. We thrive on being the underdog but choke when anything much is expected of us. The real question is where did all of this start? It's easy to say the Choco era finals chokes. But were they a symptom or a cause? I have a feeling that our supporter base is very unique in terms of our high expectations and the pressure we put on our team - maybe the players have actually absorbed a lot of that over the journey and feel that sense of negativity that we all feel constantly.

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer or solution to these problems and I think they will be around for a very long time.

I would like to know the stats without including our flat track games vs some bad Brisbane and Gold Coast teams etc from 2015 - 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't play fast enough out of defence. Most years it's been by design, but last night it was due to a combination of our defenders not marking/handling the ball properly due to not having played a night game all year and the umpires making sure to pay all our free kicks in the back half which allowed the St Kilda players to get back and box us in.

Select a defensive 7 (6 + 1 rotation) of Watts, Burton, McKenzie, Hartlett, Clurey, Jonas and Byrne-Jones and it won't be a problem.

They played us at our own game on the weekend, we had lead boots on trying to get it out of our back half.

We won't improve our record at AO by much because we still have the same stupid mentality and method.

We dont put scoreboard pressure on when we are dominating the game, dominating forward territory, dominating inside 50's etc. We don't convert our chances either by poor goalkicking or inability to not bomb it to Charlie all the time.

We need a mindset change to change our record since 2015. That wont change without regime change.

Based on that, we are regularly a 2-3 goal worst off club per match from freekicks for and against alone. We really need to look on how to make umpires our friends and not enemies as stats show that majority of premierships won features team high up on the free kick differential. 2016 being the most glaring example with the dogs.
It's clear that Ken sucking off the umps in his press conferences for 8 years hasn't been working...the only way they seem to listen is if you spit the dummy like Clarko et al..
Little old club from Alberton, umpires do a great job yada yada...we just get ignored.

Our midfielders have often been second to the ball for a number of years and I think that has a bit to do with giving away frees rather than getting them.

This club has spent most of Hinkley's years embracing the underdog tag and likewise the "never give in" is another underdog meaning. It has played its role with our expectation fragility.

Of course in combination with how we play our football and player management, it is no wonder.

We won't improve our record at AO by much because we still have the same stupid mentality and method.

We dont put scoreboard pressure on when we are dominating the game, dominating forward territory, dominating inside 50's etc. We don't convert our chances either by poor goalkicking or inability to not bomb it to Charlie all the time.

We need a mindset change to change our record since 2015. That wont change without regime change.

Exactly right.

Nothing is new here. A few years back many of us came to the realisation that the Adelaide Oval, which in the first two years we called, 'The Portress' was no longer what it should be- an impregnable bastion. Since the Richmond final back in 2014 our record in crunch games at the Adelaide Oval has been poor and losing on our home turf has cost us a place in the finals several times.

It gets down to the mental toughness and the belief in ourselves that ultimately breeds consistency. We do not have enough of either quality.

Geez, we remember the glory days when no one but Port won at Alberton and if they did jag one, it was hard fought.

I went to the PAFC website to take a look at the Creed but could not find it. I found Never Tear Us Apart in the menu but not the Club Creed. I am sure it is there somewhere but I reckon it is somewhat a sign of the times that you have to search to find The Creed while all this millenial shite stares you straight in the face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back