Review Adelaide v Sydney - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:

Sloane and M.Crouch did their best in the midfield and the latter did a pretty good job on Parker.
Hartigan and Lever fought pretty well.
As did Cameron.

Mediocre:

Betts, Lynch, McGovern and Walker did some nice things but no where near enough.
Thommo tried hard in what should be his last game.
Cheney could have done more on the ground but helped out in the air.
Smith couldn't get into the game but didn't turn it over as much as others.
Laird was meh.

Bad:

B.Crouch and Lyons were s**t.
Mackay wasn't quite as bad as people are suggesting but was still bad.
Atkins wasted every possession he had.
Talia was well beaten and provided nothing offensively.
Douglas was ineffective.

Putrid:

Jenkins was a ghost, he was gifted shot at goal that could have had an impact on the result but still missed, a truly pathetic performance.

Jacobs might as well have not played, his taps never went to our mids advantage and failed to expose two inexperienced ruckman. It might even be a good thing eh is suspended round 1 and ROB gets a chance to prove himself.

Brown has suffered a meteoric fall from being one of the comps best small defenders to being in our bottom 3 every week. Papley kicked 4 goals on him FFS, week after week we are destroyed by small forwards due to Browns incompetence. It's not like he does anything offensively either, I have no idea why he in the team.

The coaches/selection committee deserve a big roasting for playing Jenkins tonight, what a piss poor performance we got from an underdone player. Jenkins shouldn't have even put his hand up with that pea-hearted effort tonight.

Our midfield numbers vs the opposition midfield numbers, often seems to be a big issue, our guys need to become more defensive or just better learn to beat the opposition in the clearances.

Good:
Matt Crouch - Has finished the season really well
Cameron - only the 17 disposals but tackled hard kicked straight and made a contest whenever the ball was close to him
Lever - before he was injured it looked like he was going to throw the team on his back, I hope its not too serious
Sloane - You know what you will get from him week in week out. Gun.

Bad:
Brad Crouch - Opposite to Matt, especially in the last month, shades of the player he can be
Talia - Really didn't look that great on Buddy before he got injured

Ugly:
Heeney 32 disposals and a goal, Buddy 4.2, Mills the rising star. It's great how equal this professional competition is
Thommo - 20 disposals at 45%, his body just isn't fit for AFL in 2016, time to hang the boots up
Douglas - 17 disposals at 41%, composure is needed in finals, simply not good enough from one of our most experienced

No surprise our midfield got toweled up, when you're putting so much weight on sub 50 gamers and past it players against on of the best midfields in the comp, you're asking for failure. If it wasn't abundantly clear to anyone before tonight that we needed midfielders it should be by now. Mackay, Thommo and Douglas, three midfielders we have had through a long period of no success. They represent a period of time where just making finals was seen as a good season. For the club to turn the corner they need to be shown the door.

This is what you get for hiring worthless idiots like Phil Walsh. Good thing for your s**t club he died.

Don Pyke is no better.
Wow. You're either the sort of person that will one day realise what a disgusting thing this is to say and will eventually regret writing this, or are so feral that you are completely irrelevant anyway. Probably both.

Good:

Sloane and M.Crouch did their best in the midfield and the latter did a pretty good job on Parker.
Hartigan and Lever fought pretty well.
As did Cameron.

Mediocre:

Betts, Lynch, McGovern and Walker did some nice things but no where near enough.
Thommo tried hard in what should be his last game.
Cheney could have done more on the ground but helped out in the air.
Smith couldn't get into the game but didn't turn it over as much as others.
Laird was meh.

Bad:

B.Crouch and Lyons were s**t.
Mackay wasn't quite as bad as people are suggesting but was still bad.
Atkins wasted every possession he had.
Talia was well beaten and provided nothing offensively.
Douglas was ineffective.

Putrid:

Jenkins was a ghost, he was gifted shot at goal that could have had an impact on the result but still missed, a truly pathetic performance.

Jacobs might as well have not played, his taps never went to our mids advantage and failed to expose two inexperienced ruckman. It might even be a good thing eh is suspended round 1 and ROB gets a chance to prove himself.

Brown has suffered a meteoric fall from being one of the comps best small defenders to being in our bottom 3 every week. Papley kicked 4 goals on him FFS, week after week we are destroyed by small forwards due to Browns incompetence. It's not like he does anything offensively either, I have no idea why he in the team.
Sloane was non existent when we need him early.

Good:
Hartigan did well in Buddy when switched onto him

Bad:
JJ and the Scared Bear Bunch

Ugly:
Groundhog Day

Pissing away another season in R23
I'm far more annoyed about our game against the Weagles than about tonight. Threw away our season with barely a whimper.

Need big changes to our midfield, and Jacobs (almost certainly) getting suspended will give us a good look at ROB.

Rockliff anyone? He's still not signed, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good :

Was really pleasing to see Cameron step up and he was pretty much the only one. One of his best games imo. Deserves praise.

Hartigan was very good under difficult circumstances.

Sloane tried but was mauled at the contest and actually appeared too small against the swans mids. They were brutal.

Lever was fantastic until he got injured.

I thought Mackay was actually one of our best (not that that says a whole lot) . Doesn't deserve a bashing.

Bad :

Midfield absolutely smashed. I've been saying this for half a year now, but our midfield is second rate and were beaten almost every week. Inside and out. A lot due to personnel and as the season went on, set up as well. The opposition continually had easy spread from contests.

Brad crouch was terrible. Had intensity but zero effectiveness whenever he went near the ball.

Jenkins, Jacobs non existent.

Thommo has to retire.

Douglas is barely a number out there. I don't know what his role is and I hope he is not best 22 next season.

Walker just continued his mediocre year really. Does good things but made mistakes at crucial times.

Atkins didn't finish the year well. His disposal was putrid tonight.

M Crouch tried hard but was just thrown around by the swans mids. Needs more size and cleaner disposal. Doesn't deserve to be in the bad but can't be bothered making an 'ok' category.

Betts was tightly held by a good player but he wasn't given much of a chance to be fair.

Overall we did better than I expected this season but have shown we're still not up to it. Another year of mediocre draft picks to go with it.

I'm far more annoyed about our game against the Weagles than about tonight. Threw away our season with barely a whimper.

Need big changes to our midfield, and Jacobs (almost certainly) getting suspended will give us a good look at ROB

Come on MRP.
Disgusting elbow to the head intentional high impact
7 games down to 10 on Adelaides medical report.

Unfortunate to say this, but there does seem to be a group of players on the team that put everything on the line and a group of players that looked very much out of their depth. Once positive to take away was Charlie's game, you could see he was really trying to lift the team which is a massive positive to have him for our future.

It was heart breaking to see us not be able to match it with Sydney in the first half of the first quarter. Forced us to play catch up for the rest of the night and unfortunately the only way we were going to get it done was to have luck on our side and to have every player doing their part.

I hate to say this and I never have before, but I have so little faith in Jenkins that I completely wrote him off before the game started. He goes missing in the high pressure games, it's as simple as that.

Our future rests with the Crouch brothers. Those two will have to become high quality midfielders for this team to succeed deep into September.

Thompson looked cooked. I don't know what else to say, he would be doing the club a favour retiring, but apparently there is a 1 year offer on the table for him to play on. I get the feeling he'll play on and our club will be too afraid to drop him and the simple, cold, hard truth is we can't go far into September with him in our midfield.

The coaching does have to be questioned. Considering our inability to match it with teams when they bring the heat, why wouldn't you choke the defensive end? Our backs aren't good enough to withstand the free running rebound football that Sydney did to us too often, might as well let the game be played in our defensive half, choke the fifty up for at least a quarter and let everyone get a feel for the in close hard stuff. The game always opens up after half time, that was our best chance of winning, but we gave them too much of a head start. Just my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back