Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“With his vast AFL experience as a player and coach, Tony is one of the best recruiters in industry. In recognition of that, he has been promoted to Recruiting and List Manager and will assume additional list management responsibilities,” Bains told SAINTS.com.au.

“He will effectively have day-to-day responsibility for delivering on our trade and draft strategy and for managing our network of recruiters.”

JAN 15 2015
Go and watch the videos from the trade period when
I've gone back to find this post (3 pages from today) and have to agree. In saying this, most times Dodoro has gone what he has thought was best available with those early picks. Furthermore, it is hard to argue the day after draft night(s) who we brought in inside the top 30's.

This suggests to me that Dodoro is ok at selecting players (not great but not poor) and post draft it has more to do with player development than Dodoro at the draft table. In regards to too many small midfielders, you can never have too many, we can't instil a system that utilises the amount we concurrently have.
Name me a premiership team or top 4 team over the last decade that hasn’t had at least 1 elite inside midfielder you can change your game plan as much as you want the fact is if you don’t have one against the Richmond’s and Geelongs you will continue to get smashed you can’t blame this on coaching or development they can only work with the players that are given to them not having any inside players on the list is down to poor list management !

Never, in the history of footy, has one man been gifted so many feeble excuses, by so many.

When you are a long term abysmal failure and haven't looked like winning a final for 6000+(??) days, only the minimum level of diligence and simple logic would dictate a hunt for any consistencies within and throughout that failure. You then remove those consistencies so that true progress may finally be made.
You weed the garden so to speak.
Unless you are clearly moronic on an individual level, you would never deliberately fertilise those weeds by creating excuses for consistent failure. At least not if you ever hoped to improve.

We all so dearly love the Dons hierarchy and their penchant for nepotism. The way they protect their failed mates is legendary, as is the way they spinout new hopes and dreams by re-birthing old faces. Worthless imagery from Daddy and Grand Daddy's era, with absolutely no application to the current or next generation.

They have become addicted to failure and indeed now actively seek it out as a type of preferred norm. You'd swear some in here even enjoy running a screen for their icons of consistent failure.

What Daddy and Dear Old Grand Daddy may have once achieved is just not a shield they can use to cower behind any longer. Both the players and members now see they have become a laughing stock.

Never ever look too long or deeply into that mirror or you may discover accountability.
More please.
Long may the good ole boyz reign :thumbsu:

Right now, Adrian probably has a skinny flanker in need of development, who went to PEGS or StBernard's, or was coached at school or Juniors by an ex EFC alumni, sitting before him counting backwards from a hundred in 7's. While Sheeds is looking over their shoulders slightly scaring the bejeezus out of the skinny undeveloped but well brought up flanker.

Now to decide whether to select him with Pick 6, 7 or 8.

Busy time for Adrian.
Like Dow or O'Brien? :p

As an avid Essendon supporter, Dodoro simply does what he thinks is best for the club. His trading reflects this, often getting a winning deal when it comes down to player exchange.

And there's the problem in a nutshell.

The imperative of effective trading is about reaching the end of the off season with a better list than you had before.

Which is not at all the same as the imperative that you must "win" on any individual trade or you won't play.

The imperative of effective trading is about reaching the end of the off season with a better list than you had before.

Which is not at all the same as the imperative that you must "win" on any individual trade or you won't play.
viewing the trade as a contest over a transaction is a problem (if that is the case)

Deals should be viewed in terms benefit vs. cost.
e.g. Dunkley.
Let's assume it was 8 + F1 for Dunkley + F2.

The question should be, based on what i'd hope the list crew have in terms of research, do 8 & F1 give us a high probability of getting a better player than Dunkley....if not, spend the collateral.

Example #2 - Daniher
Pick 9 & F1 (likely top 5).
If you aren't 100% sure Daniher will re-sign, you take that deal.
(we also lose the Hawks match, so could be sitting on 3, 5 & 8 this year)

The view we took on Daniher vs. the approach we took on Dunkley were conflicting strategies that smacked of getting the vastly better deal vs. getting the right outcome for the club.

viewing the trade as a contest over a transaction is a problem (if that is the case)

Deals should be viewed in terms benefit vs. cost.
e.g. Dunkley.
Let's assume it was 8 + F1 for Dunkley + F2.

The question should be, based on what i'd hope the list crew have in terms of research, do 8 & F1 give us a high probability of getting a better player than Dunkley....if not, spend the collateral.

Example #2 - Daniher
Pick 9 & F1 (likely top 5).
If you aren't 100% sure Daniher will re-sign, you take that deal.
(we also lose the Hawks match, so could be sitting on 3, 5 & 8 this year)

The view we took on Daniher vs. the approach we took on Dunkley were conflicting strategies that smacked of getting the vastly better deal vs. getting the right outcome for the club.

I think getting Dunkley would have fast tracked your rebuild. But you will potentially end uo with better players in the long run after a few lean years being below average

I think getting Dunkley would have fast tracked your rebuild. But you will potentially end uo with better players in the long run after a few lean years being below average
really need to nail some picks now and revitalise.
But means we'll be a good 2-3 years out of finals now, & a while longer off being properly competitive.

I think Dunkley helps fast-track that.

2021 midfield of;
Draper Dunkley Shiel
Merrett McGrath Langford
w/Heppell, Parish, Caldwell and 2x picks this year in to build out the midfield depth would get that middle core going.

Without getting bogged down in details, I don't think they were conflicting strategies for these reasons.

Without getting bogged down in details, I don't think they were conflicting strategies for these reasons.
to say "picks aren't what we want and 2x top 10 picks isn't enough for Daniher" vs offering 8 & F2 for Dunkley?
Dodoro said it himself, he wouldn't have accepted what we offered for Dunkley......truly WTF moment for me....esp given the F2 was part of the Caldwell deal

So with 90m left, both deals not done, we were both offering something we wouldn't have accepted for Dunkley & had offered an asset that was also part of the Caldwell deal.....

People are so fixated on Dodoro that it is mildly amusing that it is often forgotten that he has a job to do much like you and I.

to say "picks aren't what we want and 2x top 10 picks isn't enough for Daniher" vs offering 8 & F2 for Dunkley?
Dodoro said it himself, he wouldn't have accepted what we offered for Dunkley......truly WTF moment for me....esp given the F2 was part of the Caldwell deal

So with 90m left, both deals not done, we were both offering something we wouldn't have accepted for Dunkley & had offered an asset that was also part of the Caldwell deal.....

I disagree with your read on the situation basically.

And that's the thing...Dodoro may be a tough negotiator but he's not a list managers ahole.

After all those years in the job, they have been left with Stewart, Wright and Stringer for forwards. And yet most of the Essendon faithful continue to think he had done at worst and ok job. And yes yes there will be a hundred excuses thrown up as to why this may be. Fact is that those 3 will carry your forward line for 21. There's between 1-2 goals per week. Ouch.

And that's the thing...Dodoro may be a tough negotiator but he's not a list managers ahole.

After all those years in the job, they have been left with Stewart, Wright and Stringer for forwards. And yet most of the Essendon faithful continue to think he had done at worst and ok job. And yes yes there will be a hundred excuses thrown up as to why this may be. Fact is that those 3 will carry your forward line for 21. There's between 1-2 goals per week. Ouch.
I'm not too bothered with Wright, Stewart & Stringer if we can keep them fit and on the park.
We have Jones coming through too who is supposed to be good and Eyre is a prospect.

KPF stocks have been addressed after a lot of eggs being dropped in the Daniher basket.
KPD and midfield are the big areas

Our 1st choice tall defenders are >30 (Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose) and injury prone.
We have one kid (Zerk) who is still a 50/50 prospect
We'll get an NGA this year, but need to take at least one of Reid or Cox (if not both) this year.

List needs a lot of work
Feeling the pinch of some failed picks/draft suspensions at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an avid Essendon supporter, Dodoro simply does what he thinks is best for the club. His trading reflects this, often getting a winning deal when it comes down to player exchange.

In respect to the drafting, I'm not sure Ardrian can be blamed for the development of the clubs draftees. Aaron Francis was widely considered one of, if not the most talented kid in the 2015 AFL draft. Whilst he has had a myriad of issues (mental health, injury, positional) he has not come close to what many had hoped he would become, even after showing early promise in 2016.

To see guys like Josh Dunkley, Clayton Oliver, Jacob Weitering go streets ahead of him is more an indictment on Essendon than it is about Adrian. We have had a number of examples like this, I know Knightmare had Jayden Laverde as high as #4 in his draft rankings in his draft year, how did he get to number 20? We were ecstatic, obviously more issues for Jayden have stymied his run at AFL level but the development of him as a player has been very limited. Essentially a more physically developed version of his U18 self.

My issue with Adrian Dodoro comes down to his list management decisions (re; re contracts/delistings) and it is out of touch with the current climate of the AFL. To often leaving us exposed in one position chasing success in another (and not just the midfield), the planning post Joe Daniher was farcical, the forward group as a whole. The contracting post that 2016 banned group.

And one last minor point, I'm not going after him for not picking player x after the first/second round as it is literally throwing darts at a dart board. Lucky dip if you will.
If drafting in the second and third round is just throwing darts at a dart board then how come some clubs always seem to end up luckier then clubs like yours with quality of players they get with them picks just pure luck is it

People are so fixated on Dodoro that it is mildly amusing that it is often forgotten that he has a job to do much like you and I.

Strangely enough, if I approached my job with a principle priority of screwing everyone I dealt with, and not doing the work at all if I didn't get to screw them, my business would be bankrupt by now.

Which is the point of the entire discussion.

Strangely enough, if I approached my job with a principle priority of screwing everyone I dealt with, and not doing the work at all if I didn't get to screw them, my business would be bankrupt by now.

Which is the point of the entire discussion.
No you would still be attempting to do what is right by your club. As mentioned, Dodoro for all his short comings nearly always tries to get the best deals possible for his employer. As many facets of a football club, Adrian is merely one department.

If drafting in the second and third round is just throwing darts at a dart board then how come some clubs always seem to end up luckier then clubs like yours with quality of players they get with them picks just pure luck is it
That is more luck than anything. We are more obsessed with on field results and thus give more opportunity to more developed players than our youngsters.

Yeah understand that . my point was there have been plenty off good players go in the second and third round over the years

Zac Merrett, Jordan Ridley

No you would still be attempting to do what is right by your club. As mentioned, Dodoro for all his short comings nearly always tries to get the best deals possible for his employer. As many facets of a football club, Adrian is merely one department.

No, getting a pragmatic outcome is that brings you closer to your ultimate goal is the best for your employer, not “attempting to do what is right”.

I’m preparing to go into a negotiation with a software vendor that has my company in a virtual monopoly as we can’t practically switch to another product without a six month lead in time. The vendor is breaching contract everywhere.

Would me sticking to my guns and doing “what is right” by my employer by suing the vendor for breach of contract going to get me a pat on the back from my boss if the vendor shuts up shop on me in retaliation and my team can’t do their day-to-day work?

My job is to run a negotiation where I can extract as much value out of a bad situation. I’m going to have to negotiate away things that legally I don’t have to in order to make sure I get what I really need to help the bigger picture - part of which is enabling my team to exit this vendor more easily.

In footy terms I need to make sure I improve my list in the medium to long term, even if I’d prefer not to do some of the things to improve the list.

Dodoro seems to get pats on the back from a majority of Essendon supporters for sticking to his guns and not “losing” individual deals, but not nailing the bigger picture.

Maybe my boss will be happy if the vendor’s service degrades even more and we are still completely reliant on them, but I successfully sued them for $50k (probably costing $100k of internal effort)...

Zac Merrett, Jordan Ridley
You’re point is ?

But that's the whole issue.

He seems to put getting a 'winning deal' ahead of actually doing what is best for the club - and that is to build the list.

Winnings deals in isolation is just so short sighted.

Based on?

History suggests more like 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back