Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 17 - Cats v Tigers Fri September 11th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. His blame game was A1. Really good foresight on your part. You’ve watched a lot of his pressers this year clearly.

The Volcano is brewing....only a matter of time now

It seems that the biggest issue with Geelong is their style of play. They play a really controlled tempo style that works really well against most sides because they have great skills and speed going forward. It’s incredibly transparent Hawkins is isolated one out in the 50.

Richmond play the opposite, it’s a frenetic fast pressure based model focused on forcing turnovers and then responding with the overlap and a pinpoint handball game that opens up the ground. They have midfield equivalent players in the backline with elite disposal ability. The issue Geelong has is that eventually the turnover is forced and they are put under siege.

I think the best chance Geelong have is trying to go on the offensive. They need to play a faster game when transitioning and get the ball forward with minimal possession. All the time taken to play the tempo game just allows Richmond to get set defensively. It’s so obvious Hawkins is the target, and Grimes is simply too good to be allowed to zone off in front of him. Whoever is playing CHF needs to make Grimes accountable and try and get him up the ground. Literally just become a focal point and gain possession at HF and be too big an issue to ignore.

Geelong simply has to play faster against Richmond.

Also, Richmond have had 3 elite defenders over the last 4 years; Rance, Grimes and Vlaustin. Grimes and Vlaustin are virtually in a category of their own with Andrews and McGovern. So essentially you need 2 KPF who are both elite to combat that. Then you’ve got Houli who has got to be the most underrated player in the competition.

Now at the other end of the ground you’ve got Riewoldt and Lynch. Again, both elite. If Geelong want to beat Richmond they are going to have to win it in the middle. It’s that simple. Ablett probably needs to play forward and have a blinder come finals, same with Rohan. I’d almost be putting a tag on Cotchin as well, minimising his input. It’ll probably come down to Esava or whoever plays CHF for Geelong to have a blinder on GF day (if they got there) to take out the influence of Grimes and Vlaustin and allow Hawkins to kick 3.

Good that Geelong have had a look at it now to try and devise something before finals rolls around.

It’s also entirely plausible that Richmond are the equivalent of Hawthorn from 12-15. With Richmond having a bad night in 2018. Geelong is no doubt a great side, they’re simply coming up against one of the great sides of the last 40 years. If this Geelong side was this good back in 2016 they’d probably have won the flag by 80 points.

Hope you were able to tune in, the wifi signal was working good tonight!!
I listened to about 10 minutes actually and I must admit I was impressed. Sorry I couldn't tune in any longer but I might actually listen again if i'm able to.

Enjoy the win and congrats.

Also, Richmond have had 3 elite defenders over the last 4 years; Rance, Grimes and Vlaustin. Grimes and Vlaustin are virtually in a category of their own with Andrews and McGovern. So essentially you need 2 KPF who are both elite to combat that. Then you’ve got Houli who has got to be the most underrated player in the competition.

Now at the other end of the ground you’ve got Riewoldt and Lynch. Again, both elite. If Geelong want to beat Richmond they are going to have to win it in the middle. It’s that simple. Ablett probably needs to play forward and have a blinder come finals, same with Rohan. I’d almost be putting a tag on Cotchin as well, minimising his input. It’ll probably come down to Esava or whoever plays CHF for Geelong to have a blinder on GF day (if they got there) to take out the influence of Grimes and Vlaustin and allow Hawkins to kick 3.

Good that Geelong have had a look at it now to try and devise something before finals rolls around.
That cautious, slow ball movement wont cut it. Inevitably tiger pressure wins out. It's fast ball movement, while admittedly high risk, is the only game style that will worry Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUOTE="THE_GUN, post: 66906399, member: 53813"

Mental Scarring is real
[/QUOTE]
are cats the new lions?

4 elite defenders - Balta 😁 just kidding, though he does have a bloody high ceiling imo.

Agree with all your points - Geelong will require a few key players to be at the top of their games. Richmond didn’t have a single player get 20 touches although Jack played very well. In a tight competition that evenness is a big advantage. Also helps to cover injuries, which I think will keep mounting for all teams (soft tissues) in the next month. Geelong could def still beat us but think the output of GAJ and Selwood will be crucial, and Rohan. If Selwood can turn back the clock that frees Danger up a bit, including to go fwd, which could get Grimes out of his comfort zone

It seems that the biggest issue with Geelong is their style of play. They play a really controlled tempo style that works really well against most sides because they have great skills and speed going forward. It’s incredibly transparent Hawkins is isolated one out in the 50.

Richmond play the opposite, it’s a frenetic fast pressure based model focused on forcing turnovers and then responding with the overlap and a pinpoint handball game that opens up the ground. They have midfield equivalent players in the backline with elite disposal ability. The issue Geelong has is that eventually the turnover is forced and they are put under siege.

I think the best chance Geelong have is trying to go on the offensive. They need to play a faster game when transitioning and get the ball forward with minimal possession. All the time taken to play the tempo game just allows Richmond to get set defensively. It’s so obvious Hawkins is the target, and Grimes is simply too good to be allowed to zone off in front of him. Whoever is playing CHF needs to make Grimes accountable and try and get him up the ground. Literally just become a focal point and gain possession at HF and be too big an issue to ignore.

yep agree, really disappointing to see last nights game degraded by the stilted chipping game style of Geelong, no intent to score, so boring to watch.

At least the Tigers did their best to put on a show for the neutrals.

Who dares wins.

We are tagged as a chaos team but you still need great skills to kick a winning score,we are more than chaos.

yep agree, really disappointing to see last nights game degraded by the stilted chipping game style of Geelong, no intent to score, so boring to watch.

Who dares wins.
irony is geelong ran off with 3 cups playing the exact style we play :D :thumbsu:

Who dares wins.
I don’t think it’s that though mate, it’s the way they play and clearly they’ve put on big numbers that way. Port and Brisbane were beaten by them, and Essendon last week received a hiding showing that style works. It’s just that you’re style is too restrictive, inevitably your pressure wins out against a side like that.

No just no.
Really? Selwood was pretty avg last year and Prestia was the B&F if the premier. Selwood had 21 touches a game, 6 goals, 39 rebounds, 66 I50, 96 clearances, 96th in the league for metres gained. Prestia has 27, 7 goals, 58 rebounds, 122 I50, 147 clearances, 5th in league for metres gained.

Selwood better at his peak, but nowhere near Prestia now

4 elite defenders - Balta 😁 just kidding, though he does have a bloody high ceiling imo.

Agree with all your points - Geelong will require a few key players to be at the top of their games. Richmond didn’t have a single player get 20 touches although Jack played very well. In a tight competition that evenness is a big advantage. Also helps to cover injuries, which I think will keep mounting for all teams (soft tissues) in the next month. Geelong could def still beat us but think the output of GAJ and Selwood will be crucial, and Rohan. If Selwood can turn back the clock that frees Danger up a bit, including to go fwd, which could get Grimes out of his comfort zone
Couple of things I reckon;
1. They’ve got to beat you in the tackle count - particularly their defenders
2. Their midfield has to win or break even
3. Whoever plays at CHF for Geelong has to get up the ground a bit and become a problem for a Tigers defender whilst also kicking a couple.
4. They have to minimise disposals and open up the ground quickly

That cautious, slow ball movement wont cut it. Inevitably tiger pressure wins out. It's fast ball movement, while admittedly high risk, is the only game style that will worry Richmond
So true. The last time we lost to that slow ball movement around the park was rd 2 2019 when Collingwood took us apart. We were off that day and still adjusting to life without Rance. Every time a team has tried it since our pressure gobbles them up.

Back