Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 17 - Lions v Eagles Sat July 8th 1:45pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

• Eagles by 7 - 20

• Lions by a lot

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

disclaimer - not a fan of the Gunston return and think he should have played a ressies game first.

IF the plan all along was to have a three tall forward line and the only reason we went two and a half (Raynor) and small was because Gunston, Fullerton etc were all unavailable (ie it would have been a straight swap G for F) then the return to 'fitness' of one of them coming in would automatically trigger a return to preferred setup.

If Kai was to be upset if would not be because he didn't keep the Gunston spot (not comparative players) but because Linc (or Charlie) is not playing and he isn't getting that spot (comparative player) ... how the magnets are going to shape up we don't know (Madden as a defensive forward?). For us to melt due to Jack over Kai is really a melt over three talls over two talls which is more of a strategic call made by far more than the coach.

I have loved the last two weeks with the adjusted setup and the faster/hungrier players and it just seemed more likely to click and sadly we are unlikely to learn a lot from this week (unless Gunston gets zero touches, zero tackles, and his opposition gets top disposals for the Eagles of course!)

(edit - thought I was on the Lion's Board thread)

Last edited:
It comes down to how much the Lions apply themselves. If they just cruise and take the 4 points, it could be as small as a 40-50 point win.

If they genuinely go in hard for the kill and want to set some records and cash in on a massive % boost opportunity, they could legitimately put on 200 points and win by 150+

Iā€™m tipping Ryan Lester to get amongst the goals. Itā€™s going to be a bloodbath. Could Ryan Lester kick more goals than Jack Gunston? Intriguing. šŸ¤”

Last edited:
It's the best our backline has looked all year. Hopefully it will limit the damage but with a centre line consisting of Gaff Sheed and Hough, the backs will have a lot of fast direct f50 entries to contend with.
A 10 goal win is par score.

It's the best our backline has looked all year. Hopefully it will limit the damage but with a centre line consisting of Gaff Sheed and Hough, the backs will have a lot of fast direct f50 entries to contend with.
A 10 goal win is par score.
10 goal win for west coast isn't enough. You pretty much need to win every game by 100 points and other results to go your way to make finals

West Coast on average tend to lose more to those outside the 8 or on the cusp than those well within it. Maybe the top sides donā€™t try as hard or maybe West Coast players try more.

I will say that if Brisbane play like they did against Richmond last week, then itā€™ll probably get ugly for West Coast unfortunately. I havenā€™t seen a team pull Richmond apart from start to finish in a very long time, and Brisbane did just that. We easily couldā€™ve lost that one by 100+ points ourselves tbh.

Brisbane have the Dees next Friday night at the G...I find it hard to think they'll go full for the jugular today. Just has the feel of a "going through the motions" 40-60 point game with some odd restlessness from the natives as West Coast show some glimpses of their future keeping the game from really blowing out until late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we need the touched rule at all?
Just give it 6 points if it goes through the big sticks.

Back