AFL Diversity Manager banned for life from competing in football, stands down from position

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible act. Can't say I particularly like the way people in the media are turning this in to another story about houli though. Sam McClure straight out questioned the character of houli as a result of this incident. Houli irrelevant to this story

Well, if they going to start sacking people for this sort of stuff, when's the next player being sacked? Because that's effectively what you're asking for?

Bugg gets sacked for knocking Mills unconcious?

The AFL sets the standards for the whole league nation wide. If the governing body who pontificates to everyone else in the game doesn't set the highest of standards then it can't expect anyone else to respect what it says.

Last edited:

Character reference time
CjmixcmUYAAniHv.jpg

Something like this should go Viral, you can bet the AFL give it little coverage.
He won't lose his job but he should be moved sideways to an area where he can lead by example whatever that might be.

Well I think he's better suited to a diversity manager role than a PR role where he lectures us about violence.

Threw a punch along with the other blokes there, I saw 3 other punches. His hit was the most well-connected, granted. All scummy, would give me a justice boner to see these people banned from football for life, and punches like this diversity managers charged with assault from the police.
But whether it should have any impact on his job, I'm not sure. Players don't get sacked for assault cases on the street - Swan, Williams, that Eagles bloke. Not sure why we should have different standards now - the AFL has been hypocritical for years (lecture us on some social issues, but then don't worry about others).

Interestingly, North Melbourne should be watching closely. If this guy doesn't lose his job, then North shouldn't bend when the AFL puts pressure on them to kick Archer off their board (because if ends up in a conviction, the AFL will put pressure on them to get rid of him).

Will face a long ban I'd say.

Not sure "king hit" and "unsuspecting" is entirely accurate though. Conjures up a snipe from behind, something like Clarkson on Aitken for example.

Footage seems to show the other player didn't see it coming given he was facing another player in a different direction.

Unsuspecting seems a fair description.

This is the guy who stated after his last misconduct:

"I have been really disappointed with the whole situation and how I have been labeled. It is not a true reflection of my ethics and core beliefs. The football field should be a friendly, welcoming environment.”

Seems he says one thing and does another, questionable integrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footage seems to show the other player didn't see it coming given he was facing another player in a different direction.

Unsuspecting seems a fair description.

Maybe, we're probably splitting hairs I guess.

I just pictured Clarkson-style when I read the thread title.

In any case, I agree with the OP that I think he'll probably be in the Centrelink queue by the end of the week. Can't work in a senior role in the game and be doing that on the weekend.

Local footy tribunals can go to town when there's blatant footage like that too. Reckon he'll get 12 weeks.

I should clarify that these sort of things should be open to assault charges.

I just think that the AFL as an employer should be prepared for some hairy situations if they sack him.

PLayers are effectively employees.
If they're prepared to sack this guy, a Barry Hall situation should also result in a sacking

Does a player have grounds to press assault charges in this situation?

I feel like until someone is actually taken to court over one of these incidents that they'll keep happening.

I feel like until someone is actually taken to court over one of these incidents that they'll keep happening.

They do and it's happened before.

It does still happen but incidents like this are generally on the decrease long-term. And most games are filmed these days which helps.

Years ago (say 30) a guy from North Freo amateurs was king hit from behind, knocked unconcious and had a broken jaw, nose and cheek bone.
He needed plastic surgery, plates inserted and he lost feeling down one side of his face and suffered memory loss.
IIRC they took his assailant to court but I can't remember the outcome

From what i could make out it was a run of the mill footy punch up. So yeah lets have the guy treated differently. That would be legally sound. That would be blind justice.

Sickening.

Has to be stood down by the AFL. He only got that job for being the younger brother of Demetriou's best mate & business partner.

Sometimes you wonder how the AFL hands out jobs. But mostly you know it is jobs for the boys.

Should get 16 weeks for that hit. 16 is a lifetime ban from all AFL affiliated football comps? Right?

Maybe, we're probably splitting hairs I guess.

I just pictured Clarkson-style when I read the thread title.

In any case, I agree with the OP that I think he'll probably be in the Centrelink queue by the end of the week. Can't work in a senior role in the game and be doing that on the weekend.

Local footy tribunals can go to town when there's blatant footage like that too. Reckon he'll get 12 weeks.

Aitkin was squaring up to punch a Roos player when Clarko jumped in. Very different to this case where a bit of push and shove suddenly turned in to an assault.

Has violence in sport ever resulted in police involvement?

I was surprised involuntary manslaughter wasn't used when Hughes was killed playing cricket

I should clarify that these sort of things should be open to assault charges.

I just think that the AFL as an employer should be prepared for some hairy situations if they sack him.

PLayers are effectively employees.
If they're prepared to sack this guy, a Barry Hall situation should also result in a sacking

Murray Newman got jail time after sending threats all week to a bloke before meeting him at a nightclub and breaking his jaw, convicted of grievous bodily harm. Not sacked. Played AFL again.

I agree with you entirely. Assault charges and lifetime ban from playing (as HairyO points out, an appropriate suspension should trigger the 12 weeks ban thing on AFL comps) is reasonable, but unless there's contractual cause, it could be very hairy if they sack him when other AFL employees (players) have had worse charges and not been sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back