AFL Diversity Manager banned for life from competing in football, stands down from position

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible act. Can't say I particularly like the way people in the media are turning this in to another story about houli though. Sam McClure straight out questioned the character of houli as a result of this incident. Houli irrelevant to this story
Houli supplied to the AFL Tribunal a written reference from Fahour about what a good bloke he was off the field. That's the nexus.

Like it or not he represents the AFL all the time, and as such is meant to uphold the values of the organisation. Even more so when he is involved with football. Be surprised if he has a job at the end of this.

Murray Newman got jail time after sending threats all week to a bloke before meeting him at a nightclub and breaking his jaw, convicted of grievous bodily harm. Not sacked. Played AFL again.

I agree with you entirely. Assault charges and lifetime ban from playing (as HairyO points out, an appropriate suspension should trigger the 12 weeks ban thing on AFL comps) is reasonable, but unless there's contractual cause, it could be very hairy if they sack him when other AFL employees (players) have had worse charges and not been sacked.

Yeah.

Also the discussion was had on Perth radio on Saturday, that it is possible for players to be charged with assault.
The charges need to be pressed by the player though. So Mills would need to press charges against Bugg, for instance.

I can see in the lower leagues that this might happen.

Getting dropped by a king hit and injured could affect your real life livelihood.
In the AFL they still get paid and get free treatment.

If Mills is drinking steak through a straw for a month, he might consider it.

If Bugg had dropped Paddy McCartin and he had his 25th concussion and it's career over, he might be inclined to press charges and go for compo

An AFL employee really should know better. Would have to dismiss him from his role on that basis/conduct. Whether anything progresses outside of a stricking charge and or dismissal is a matter for the police

Agree with what you said and further too that: Anybody and everybody over the age of about 14 should know better

Last edited:
I should clarify that these sort of things should be open to assault charges.

I just think that the AFL as an employer should be prepared for some hairy situations if they sack him.

PLayers are effectively employees.
If they're prepared to sack this guy, a Barry Hall situation should also result in a sacking
Based on this summation which I think the AFL will take seriously into account, you will see him resign (or nicely shoved out the Door) to save face for both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will face a long ban I'd say.

Not sure "king hit" and "unsuspecting" is entirely accurate though. Conjures up a snipe from behind, something like Clarkson on Aitken for example.

He certainly seemed to run a fair way to get to his target who was behind a group of other players and whose attention was focussed on another opponent.

This was the sort of s**t I used to see in local footy in the 80s when I was playing. Disgraceful.

He should lose his position with the AFL for it.

Judging by the headlines I was expecting to see footage of Ivan Milat in action, but that's just a fairly bad punch in the middle of a melee. Certainly warrants 6-8 weeks.

I'm sure he will lose his job however. Stupid to offer a reference when you don't have your own house in order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back