News AFL integrity investigating phone use by JDG & Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s the responsibility of the players, why even force them to put their phones in a box?
i Think you may have missed the point about players not using their phones, no one else used the phone.

just because the box was not locked, doesn’t make breaking the rule right.

Because, as shown by an ex Pie player, the players cannot be trusted when it comes to phones and the betting industry.
Im sorry you can’t see this but the facts, in the past here and overseas, have proven that the temptation of winning a bet cannot be taken lightly.
Is that like banning everyone from driving cars to gatherings of any kind because it is a proven fact that drivers can't be trusted to not drink and drive or speed.

Sorry to all, I've just come into this one. I too would like to know what rule was broken. I'm not interested in guidelines, moral obligations, expectations or whatever. I would genuinely like to know the rule that was broken.

The rule in question is 30.6 a (ii);
(ii) Clubs must not permit Persons other than Authorised Device Users to use Communication Devices in Match Day Restricted Areas except as permitted in the MDRA Policy.
Sanction: Up to 10 Units, payable by the Club for each offence

My contention is that so far no evidence has been shown of usage, and further more if there was usage whether it was in a MDRA.

The rule in question is 30.6 a (ii);
(ii) Clubs must not permit Persons other than Authorised Device Users to use Communication Devices in Match Day Restricted Areas except as permitted in the MDRA Policy.
Sanction: Up to 10 Units, payable by the Club for each offence

My contention is that so far no evidence has been shown of usage, and further more if there was usage whether it was in a MDRA.

depends how you define usage... for instance u can get done for drink driving if ur sitting in the driver seat of a parked car with the engine on despite not actually driving... considering the entire reason De Goey got his phone in the first place was to contact his family, there’s no chance he didn’t use it regardless... and they could get his phone records to prove that.

depends how you define usage... for instance u can get done for drink driving if ur sitting in the driver seat of a parked car with the engine on despite not actually driving... considering the entire reason De Goey got his phone in the first place was to contact his family, there’s no chance he didn’t use it regardless... and they could get his phone records to prove that.
But that law actually states drunk whilst in charge of a motor vehicle, not whilst driving it. This rule actually says using it.
However, I would also accept though, that turning the phone on or any other activating activity would represent use. Just my opinion.

It’s not even the usage per se, it’s the perception of usage, just as it’s the perception of the AFL having players who are corruptible and the opportunity to spot fix or pass on sensitive and privileged information.

So apparently Buckley reckons Jordan picked up the phones after being subbed out for concussion.. so wasn't thinking straight.. he hands over Howe's phone to him.. was Howe concussed as well? Didn't bother opening his mouth to say.. put that back.. or was that an energy bar in the shape of a mobile phone?

Last edited:
And therein lies that apathy that has seen us lapse into a mediocre club.
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.
Don't be such a drama queen.

You having a whinge about players getting on their phone as if they'd actually be "checking their Instagram" is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is you painting Howe's attitude to Stepho's zero-IQ gambling move as "holier-than-thou", as if it wasn't the right thing to do as a leader of the club. You're simultaneously bemoaning the attitude I accept while shitting on Howe for not accepting a poor standard of behaviour. You do realise the irony there, right?

They broke the rules, and we will likely be punished for it, but it's not the mountain you're making it out to be.

Use of a mobile phone during the game by a player named as playing in that game. It’s prohibited.

Further to that, only ten people are approved to use a phone. Presumably most of them would be medical staff.

Why people are making such a fuss and demanding to see “ the rule” is beyond comprehension.

Hamstring related concussion!!!

I suppose Howe was just waiting at the door for Jordy to offer him a Powerade.. but surprised him with his mobile phone instead. And understaffed as well.. hence why the box was open. Hence why everyone that gets concussed can't reach into a box and figure out who's phone is who's. Miraculous get by De Goey there.

Had Howe been a metre inside that door.. he wouldn't have involved himself in it.. could have used the concussion rule to say that De Goey thought he had 2 mobile phones.. blurred double vision. His left hand was his right as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe the holier than thou posturing about this on SEN on the drive home tonight. Host and callers sinking the boots in like they committed murder. FMD the first ones to throw stones are the ones who themselves
can’t meet the standards they set for others.

Is that like banning everyone from driving cars to gatherings of any kind because it is a proven fact that drivers can't be trusted to not drink and drive or speed.
Definitely not.
Don‘t try distraction tactics. The AFL is a competition that sets its own rules. And in this case they have made a rule for the betterment of the competition and its sponsors.
All of the AFL players sign a document that acknowledges they will abide by the AFL rules. That cannot be disputed.

Don't be such a drama queen.

You having a whinge about players getting on their phone as if they'd actually be "checking their Instagram" is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is you painting Howe's attitude to Stepho's zero-IQ gambling move as "holier-than-thou", as if it wasn't the right thing to do as a leader of the club. You're simultaneously bemoaning the attitude I accept while shitting on Howe for not accepting a poor standard of behaviour. You do realise the irony there, right?

They broke the rules, and we will likely be punished for it, but it's not the mountain you're making it out to be.

Using your phone when you're not supposed to isn't the right thing to do as a leader of the club.
So tell me what they'd be using their phones for during a ******* game? You suggesting that them checking Instagram is beyond the realms of possibility?
We don't really have to think too hard about Jordy's attention span and Howe was the bloke who managed to damage his hand playing with a Frisbee remember? We aren't talking about Mensa candidates here.
You would think with all the bullshit things the club, it's hierarchy and now 2 stupid players that found it too hard just to sit and watch their mates instead of waiting an hour or so to check their phones, have had going on of late that we could just do the basics right?
Or are you satisfied with mediocrity?

You can contact your family. You just need to ask one of the ten approved personnel on the list and ask them to call for you.

As if family needs to urgently know how your blood nose or sore hamstring is, anyway!!!!!

Yeah cos concussion is a nothing issue these days hey?

And at that stage the media were saying Howe had done his knee.

If think family members do not worry, you are kidding yourself.

De Goey or Howe should have had their eyes on the tv screen inside the rooms.. wait for the footage to revert back to the game.. quickly grabbed a hold of their phones.. and rushed back in to the dressing room.. even though they were the only 2 players in the room.. and phone records would have shown some sort of use.. texting.. calls.. whatever.. they could have used a Drac style 'creeping assumption' excuse had the word got out.. and Bob's your uncle.. Got away with it.

Last edited:
So SEN is reporting the club was warned about breaching phone protocols earlier in the season.

The excuse about players messaging worried family and friends and De Goey being concussed flies out the window and it becomes a situation of general incompetence from the club or a hubris in blatant disregard of the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back