Preview AFL Round 19-Geelong Cats vs Sydney Swans, Saturday 8th August 7.20pm, Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading Bobby_ write up on the VFL game, I got the impression Rivers didn't play all that well. Kolo may well hold his place…

Menz? Well it would be something if he played…but from Scott's presser it seems unlikely. What a boost it would be to the team if he ran out in a big game at night at Simonds…

Can you imagine…..

Swans will probably bring in Goodes to go along with Tippett, Franklin. Three fairly big bodied forwards.
Lonergan plays on Franklin, Taylor plays on Tippett and I'd give Kolodjashnij the opportunity to play on Goodes or Reid whenever he drops forward. I think Kolodjashnij would match up well with Goodes given he is very agile and quick. I believe Kolo is a lot more agile than Rivers and it really may give us an upper hand in that regard.

Smedts does give us the luxury of supplying a ton of defensive pressure so it will be interesting to see if he gets dropped for a midfielder or possibly even someone like Dean Gore who is a tackling machine and craves the contested side of footy.

As much as we'd all like to see Menzel, Scott did say during the week:

I can't see them going back on that now.

Assuming that's the case, I'd bring GHS in for Lang and that'd be it.

I'd probably keep Kolo in, thought he's doing well. GHS should go straight to J Kennedy, he's had success on him before. Put Stokes in the forward pocket.

Knowing our recent form at selection if selected he'd be they'll put him in as the sub. Then again I don't think they will pick him. Given Guthrie and Caddy's good form I can't see him getting enough midfield minutes to play a role that suits him.

Mark Blicavs is my favourite Geelong player. The nearest thing I've seen to the late Jim Stynes. Amazing, dynamic athlete, whose trajectory reminds me of Jim Stynes.

I think Sam Reid will play on him. Who has been supporting Blicavs in the ruck?

This may be an opportunity for the Swans to ruck with Tippett and Reid, giving them the option of leaving Nankervis out. This gives them the ability to select a faster player.

Mark Blicavs is my favourite Geelong player. The nearest thing I've seen to the late Jim Stynes. Amazing, dynamic athlete, whose trajectory reminds me of Jim Stynes.

I think Sam Reid will play on him. Who has been supporting Blicavs in the ruck?

This may be an opportunity for the Swans to ruck with Tippett and Reid, giving them the option of leaving Nankervis out. This gives them the ability to select a faster player.
Walker has been relieving Blicavs. I don't think that will change this week so you could be right about leaving Nankervis out.

This may be a bit of an unpopular view, but could Thurlow be given a rest? He hasn't missed a game since coming into the side in rnd 3, and it looks like he may need a rest to break up his season - his 14 games so far more than doubles his previous 2 seasons, plus he did have an interrupted preseason. It does seem noticeable when you consider his first 8 games (through to the Essendon match) that he ave 20.5 disposals (high of 30, only 3 times out of the 8 matches under 20 and one of those was 19) & 6.5 marks, but over his last 6 games (yes subbed out against the Lions), those numbers have dropped to 13.6 disposals (high of 16 twice) and 3.3 marks per game - although he has increased his tackling output by 1 per game over the past 6 weeks.

We have seen Gregson rested this week, discussion here we should maybe rest Lang - why not add Thurlow to the discussion of needing a rest also.

So maybe outs of Thurlow & Lang,
ins: GHS & Gregson (if they decide to bring him straight back), otherwise Stokes(?)

I'd keep Smedts in, not give him the green vest and see what he has learnt from yesterdays game, especially in terms of the pace and intensity of afl vs vfl.

Reading Bobby_ write up on the VFL game, I got the impression Rivers didn't play all that well. Kolo may well hold his place…

Menz? Well it would be something if he played…but from Scott's presser it seems unlikely. What a boost it would be to the team if he ran out in a big game at night at Simonds…

Can you imagine…..
Until Kolo puts a foot wrong I wouldn't be dropping him. And so far I don't think that he has put a foot wrong at all. My faith in Scott is at an all time high with some of the recent decisions that have been made. He's making the younger guys earn their spot, but once they earn it and continue to play well they keep it and that's the way it should be IMO.

You can have your beautiful views of the Swiss alps David... I'm goin' down to G town to watch the Menz play! :D

This may be a bit of an unpopular view, but could Thurlow be given a rest? He hasn't missed a game since coming into the side in rnd 3, and it looks like he may need a rest to break up his season - his 14 games so far more than doubles his previous 2 seasons, plus he did have an interrupted preseason. It does seem noticeable when you consider his first 8 games (through to the Essendon match) that he ave 20.5 disposals (high of 30, only 3 times out of the 8 matches under 20 and one of those was 19) & 6.5 marks, but over his last 6 games (yes subbed out against the Lions), those numbers have dropped to 13.6 disposals (high of 16 twice) and 3.3 marks per game - although he has increased his tackling output by 1 per game over the past 6 weeks.

We have seen Gregson rested this week, discussion here we should maybe rest Lang - why not add Thurlow to the discussion of needing a rest also.

ins: GHS & Gregson (if they decide to bring him straight back), otherwise Stokes(?)

I'd keep Smedts in, not give him the green vest and see what he has learnt from yesterdays game, especially in terms of the pace and intensity of afl vs vfl.
It's a fair call IMO. The thing that might save him is the fact that he was subbed off in our last game which at least theoretically should have him fresher for the upcoming game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing our recent form at selection if selected he'd be they'll put him in as the sub. Then again I don't think they will pick him. Given Guthrie and Caddy's good form I can't see him getting enough midfield minutes to play a role that suits him.

Our best chance of beating Sydney is to win the contested ball and keep it in tight if we lose first possession, and then flood back hard to crowd the space of their tall forwards, and use our pace on the counter. Given that I would put GHS more in the coalface and use either Guthrie or Duncan more on a wing at times. I doubt they will bring in both HS and Stokes as that would make the side too slow.

Much as I love Cocky as we sponsor him he is probably not ready for a game like this, and with so much on the line this week I doubt they will pick him. I would keep Lang over Smedts although that might go either way.

In: Gregson, Horlin Smith

Out: Cockatoo (omitted), Smedts (omitted)

Probably the only other one in danger is Kersten for Menzel, but I suspect they will be conservative and give Menzel another week in the 2s.

Last time we played the Swans, we started off really well and were almost even stevens with them at 3/4 time before they kicked away.
We led clearances by a small margin up until 3/4 time but faded after that.
The Cats, despite playing 1 less game than almost all other teams, are the best at first quarters this season, having won 12 of their 16 first quarters to date. Hawks are next, with 11 from 17 games, with the Swans on the fourth run on 9 first quarter wins. We need to work on that strength of ours- our fast starts. The Swans have kicked away late in the 3rd and into the 4th Q in several games- something we need to be able to put a stop to.

Thurlow was subbed out as a management call I believe this week. Not form of injury based. On the back of that, id suggest that he will play this week. But I get you point about needing a spell. After the lack of preseason etc with the kidney, he'd be getting tired.

Go Catters

Could see Lang getting a rest on managment terms.
Cocky out for Hyphen. I know its fast for slow but we need more inside pressure around the ball. That is not Nakia.

Gore or JJ in for Lang. Kolo to stay.

Swans younger players have torn us apart ( Parker, Mitchell, Rampe, Smith ) before. Time for some of our younger guys to get one back.

Go Catters

Funny how everyone wants Smedts to have a decent go in the team but want to chuck cockatoo after only one quarter, a quarter that was better than anything they turn over merchant Smedts put up.

I'd keep Cockatoo if he is going to play 4 qtrs (baring injury) - if they are going to start him in the vest I would rather see him given 4 qtrs in the VFL because that is better for his development then sitting on the bench for 3/4s in the seniors. He came on during the 3rd quarter, had 28% game time for 4 disposals, none contested & 1 clanger in those disposals (75% efficiency), 3 marks & no tackles; compared to Smedts who in 82% game time had 15 disposals, 7 contested, yes 6 clangers (3 were frees against, but he did earn 1 free also) but went at 80% efficiency, took 6 marks, had 2 tackles & a goal assist - so how about we stop the assassination of Smedts when the facts aren't adding up to this apparent super poor, immediate delisting performance. Maybe Smedts needs a name & number change so people will start judging his games on actually effort & performance rather than having a preconception that he is will be crap so lets ignore how he actually goes.

I actually don't really like the idea of our developing players, especially first & second year players coming on as sub as I think the sub needs to be an impact player, someone who if they don't come on until during the 3rd quarter or later can pick up the pace & intensity of the game and have an impact straight away.

Funny how everyone wants Smedts to have a decent go in the team but want to chuck cockatoo after only one quarter, a quarter that was better than anything they turn over merchant Smedts put up.
Happy to see them both sit this one out if it increases our chances of picking up the 4 points,Cocky will get his chance in time, Billie not so sure now,I'm down the back of the Billie wagon hanging on for dear life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back