Rumour AFL to Re-introduce the Reserves Competion?

Remove this Banner Ad

easter31

Debutant
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
On the 3AW rumour file this morning it was stated that a certain South-East Council that has a ground named after it, was not very happy with the possible re-introduction of the AFL Reserves competition.

It was mentioned that a considerable amount of money has been spent on upgrading facilities at the ground for the AFL tenant club.

I really like our alliance with the Scorpions and Casey Council. If the AFL goes ahead with this, could it seriously affect our alliance with Casey?

At the moment Collingwood is a go-it- alone club with there own reserves team. Also, I understand at least one club (the Roos I think) have to spread there reserve players to two separate VFL clubs.

The separate Reserves competion has been gathering legs for some time. Does anybody have any further information on this?

Hope they don't, the current alignments clubs have with VFL sides greatly helps out the VFL because it gets them more people at games.

I'd hate to see them kick the VFL in the nuts by taking away the AFL listed players, would really hurt the VFL for no reason.

The AFL/VFL alignments are a very good thing for clubs, I don't see the need for the reserves competition.

Hope they don't, the current alignments clubs have with VFL sides greatly helps out the VFL because it gets them more people at games.

I'd hate to see them kick the VFL in the nuts by taking away the AFL listed players, would really hurt the VFL for no reason.

The AFL/VFL alignments are a very good thing for clubs, I don't see the need for the reserves competition.
I've actually heard otherwise, that the introduction of the AFL players has wrecked the rivalry between clubs and that crowds have decreased over the years. Yeah the standard would go down if you took out the AFL players but the passion for the club would increase. Most of those supporters are just supporting their own players and nothing else and likewise most of those AFL players are only playing for development and promotion. Would you agree? You get more people to local footy than the VFL for this reason.

I wouldn't have thought so. Collingwood and Geelong don't have lists bigger than any other VFL club. Players like Kris Pendlebury and Pods last year were VFL listed players for Collingwood and Geelong respectively.

I was always for having just a reserves competition but I'm now thinking that it'd be best to stay aligned with the VFL. There is something to be said for players playing against strong-bodied VFL players instead of just scrawny 18 year olds.

You get more people to local footy than the VFL for this reason.

I agree with your comment about the passion. We all switched from being Sandy fans to Casey overnight because the MFC players went with them, and we'd switch again if it was announced tomorrow that we were aligning with Wonthaggi.

Don't the local comps pay heaps more (relatively speaking) than the VFL as well?

In the 'glory' days of the VFA the whole point was that it played on a Sunday when the VFL didn't, and so some people would support their VFL side one day and VFA side the next with no crossover. Why doesn't the VFL just play all their matches on a Saturday now and do the same thing - instead of bouncing teams all over the place and sometimes having them clash with the 'senior' side just lock it in so all games are played at the same time on the same day and you know full well that you'll be able to watch your affiliate team every week unless you're playing the 2.10pm Saturday game. It's not like it creates a problem for television considering the ABC only do one game a week anyway.

And ffs get some better radio ads. Nathan Thompson doing fake vox pops with bad actors is an embarassment. Play it on Saturday and talk up the traditional element of it.

If the AFL clubs did break away again, and I don't believe that they will, the only way for the VFL to survive would be to try and rope in some of the big suburban clubs and start playing with a division structure again like the old days.

P.S - Bring back Camberwell

Don't the local comps pay heaps more (relatively speaking) than the VFL as well?

Mate's brother plays at a VFL team - Gets $800 a game whether he's good, bad or indifferent performance-wise. Apparently this is a pretty standard level of pay for a decent (not top shelf) VFL player.

That, on top of a working salary with a day-job, could be pretty handy pocket money, and I don't think there's many local clubs that'd have that kind of cash to pay more than a couple of players. Then again, my idea of Local is country footy, so I'm likely not the best to talk about this.

Ahem.

Carry on.

Scott Lucas is on over 70k a season at Greenvale. Not bad pocket money

Is that a regular pay-packet for non-afl players though? Or ex-AFL players in general? The bloke I know was never drafted/on an AFL list, just one of those blokes that are really good but not good enough for AFL.

70k is massive. I've never heard of anything so large. Recently retired AFL players can find themselves on 1k+ per game in the EFL which, along with the amateurs, is the next best football league in Victoria after the VFL.

The amateurs is, as the name suggest, a league where teams are unable to pay their players though. The way around this is to give the players coaching roles or other cushy jobs, especially at the school-based teams.

I would think that if such a competition existed we would field a team called casey. Think about it. If the afl does this they are trying to destroy a 30 year deal less than 2 years after it was created. If the afl has ANY plans for
this they would be on trouble. They should have stopped it than. The voc
government wouldn't be too pleased either considering they put some money in.

In seperate thoughts from me I hope we can do something where we get a rookie list of say 4 people for the team specifically. I have no doubt we would have got silvagni if we could. A blind man could see he was going to be a player.

A Club in the Swan Hill is paying three 20yr olds from Warragul $800 p/w to play, they train in warragul...they drive up friday arvo and play Saturday come home Sunday. Plus all their fuel and accommodation are payed.

None of these blokes played TAC Cup or represented the VCFL in football OR VFL.

So yeah their is relatively more money in local footy

MUCH MORE!

A Club in the Swan Hill is paying three 20yr olds from Warragul $800 p/w to play, they train in warragul...they drive up friday arvo and play Saturday come home Sunday. Plus all their fuel and accommodation are payed.

None of these blokes played TAC Cup or represented the VCFL in football OR VFL.

So yeah their is relatively more money in local footy

MUCH MORE!

ha, I probably sold them their boots, who are they? DM if ya don't wanna plaster it around, usually these stories are wayyyyy over exaggerated, but I'm curious about this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70k is massive. I've never heard of anything so large. Recently retired AFL players can find themselves on 1k+ per game in the EFL which, along with the amateurs, is the next best football league in Victoria after the VFL.

The amateurs is, as the name suggest, a league where teams are unable to pay their players though. The way around this is to give the players coaching roles or other cushy jobs, especially at the school-based teams.

EFL is streets ahead of the Ammos imo.

Kris barlow played down for Foster in south gippsland after he left, rumoured to be on anywhere between 20,000 and 100,000 for the year depending on who u talk to. i'd bet about 50,000 so it's damn good money. In most comps i know of, the better players easily get 1,500 a game or more with no AFL/VFL past

I was talking about motlop and bennell comparison. But I also though you meant michael barlow.

Kris must be as depressed as Jackson Trengove. Imagine being that young and already knowing you're only going to be the second best J Trengove ever.

Apart from his name is something douchey like jaxson or something. The funny think jacks first name is apparently Jackson as well I heard. So audibly
it must suck for jaxson as well lol

jax.gif

Jax the worst MK char ever

Sonya was worse. Wtf was up with having to spin the joystick around to do the fatality and then having it be just her strangling the guy with the legs?

Oh, hello flashbacks to 1994. Johnny Cash fwd-fwd-fwd high punch fatality for all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back