Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

“We are obviously really pleased with our season but, even more importantly than that, we’re really pleased with how well the girls have gelled together and they have got unfinished business, so we want to go in with a similar group as possible for 2021.”

“We also have 12 players who are already locked in as they signed to two-year contracts from last year."
gahhhh who are they????? :oops:

Apparently not Miller.

Surely most of the key players will be on that list? KAntonio, Antonio, Houghton, etc.?
I remember it being the leadership group who at the time was Antonio x 2, Gooch, O'Sullivan and Bowers.
I think Duffy signed for 2, and i have faint memory of sharp signing on for 2 aswell.
Hoping amongst the rest is Houghton and Cain
Good to hear Miller, Roux and Strom are staying on - hopefully the club locks them down for 2 as well!

Anyone know why so few of our AFLW girls are playing WAFLW this year? Injuries? Covid restrictions? Training issues?

This week:
Cl vs SF only had Garstone (we finally scored! Where's Mim? Still fishing up north?)
SD vs Sub only Webb, Rhode & Miller
Peel vs EF only Williams (yay!) & Seth.

Last edited:
Anyone know why so few our AFLW girls are playing WAFLW this year? Injuries? Covid restrictions? Training issues?

This week:
Cl vs SF only had Garstone (we finally scored! Where's Mim? Still fishing up north?)
I believe there are restrictions on the number of games playable coming from the clubs. Realistically it's opportunity for them to get injured.

So the focus is on retention as opposed to adding anyone via the trade path, which makes sense as the group is close-knit, forged in iron, strong all over the god-damn park and has that Premiership steely gaze about their eyes. No need to disrupt that where it's not warranted. Anyone know who the exact 12 are already contracted?! Hopefully we'll retain everyone we really need, sad part is I think we have to say goodbye to 3 minimum for drafting purposes. Would be the least enjoyable part of their (Trent & co) jobs.

Anyone know why so few of our AFLW girls are playing WAFLW this year? Injuries? Covid restrictions? Training issues?

This week:

Think probably a combination of all 3. The AFL has strict protocols in place and that impacts training, it's been an issue for the men. I think the women just tow the line a bit better than the men! Perhaps we men are just denser haha! It certainly appears that way in Collingwood's case, breaching the 'protocols' left, right and centre! Numpties *rolling eyes*

“We are obviously really pleased with our season but, even more importantly than that, we’re really pleased with how well the girls have gelled together and they have got unfinished business, so we want to go in with a similar group as possible for 2021.”

“We also have 12 players who are already locked in as they signed to two-year contracts from last year."
gahhhh who are they????? :oops:
Was going to be question exactly! 12 + Roux, Miller and Strom is a good start. I hope all three get two year deals. Miller is in the leadership group now, and I remember when all the poaching of our players was going on, and people were sure Miller was going, she came out and said that she absolutely loved the club and the playing group and it was interesting that so many people thought she'd move across, but that she had never had any intention of going anywhere. She was quite late in signing, so my guess is that she did have a look at an offer from WC, but in the end decided she felt there was 'something cooking' at Freo. So good - she's such a good player.

Last edited:
I'm expecting us to keep everyone we want to keep. There'll be less than a handful of unlucky ones around the edges that will have to be moved on because they are forced to turnover 3 at every draft.

I'd lock in Sharp, Bowers, O'Driscoll, Duffy, Stewart, Gooch, Williams, Rohde, EAntonio, Grieve, KAntonio, Roux, Seth, Miller, Cain, Strom, O'Sullivan, Sergeant, Stannett, Webb, Houghton, Cuthbertson, Pugh as all definitely staying on the list.

Leaving Clifford, Bresland, Mascall, Garstone, McMahon. I'd keep (and hope we do) McMahon assuming she is injury free. Going to be a hard call for the coach - they all deserve to keep their spots so 3 will be very very unlucky.

I've left out the two Irish girls Tighe and Flood as I don't know what the situation is with them next year.

I'd keep (and hope we do) McMahon assuming she is injury free.
Sadly I'm not sure if she will be or not based on this quote form the sentencing of the driver who hit her

She said the officer was unlikely to return to active police duty until next year, and after being drafted to the AFLW competition in 2019, her football career was now also in doubt.

“It may well be that her dream of playing AFLW will not now be able to be achieved because of the injuries that she suffered to both of her knees,” Judge Gillan said.

(https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/co...ahon-in-stolen-car-while-drunk-ng-b881576439z. yes i know it's perthnow but it's actually written by the AAP)

I think I said earlier I think Clifford is gone. 35 and only used when there was an injury. I’d be really surprised if they cut Mascall, she had some really solid games last season.

Flood and Tighe will stay. If it was a guess I’d say Clifford, Bresland and McMahon are the most likely to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I said earlier I think Clifford is gone. 35 and only used when there was an injury. I’d be really surprised if they cut Mascall, she had some really solid games last season.

Flood and Tighe will stay. If it was a guess I’d say Clifford, Bresland and McMahon are the most likely to go.

Didn't Clifford play R1 then get dropped for Mascall to match up better on a shorter WC forwardline?

She'd be hard done by to get dropped, but who wouldn't be?

Sadly I'm not sure if she will be or not based on this quote form the sentencing of the driver who hit her

She said the officer was unlikely to return to active police duty until next year, and after being drafted to the AFLW competition in 2019, her football career was now also in doubt.

“It may well be that her dream of playing AFLW will not now be able to be achieved because of the injuries that she suffered to both of her knees,” Judge Gillan said.

(https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/co...ahon-in-stolen-car-while-drunk-ng-b881576439z. yes i know it's perthnow but it's actually written by the AAP)
With Ann McMahon Coops said throughout the season when asked about injuries and how many players were missing that she would be playing if the incident didn't occur. She has also worked really really hard with Kate Star and is often seen in the footage she uploads to insta. I'd be surprised if she was moved on, entirely dependant on her health really

Didn't Clifford play R1 then get dropped for Mascall to match up better on a shorter WC forwardline?

She'd be hard done by to get dropped, but who wouldn't be?
Do you mean Mascall or Clifford? I’m pretty sure Mascall stayed in for the rest of the season (could be wrong), where as Clifford was in and out. I do like what she brings - decent leadership, enthusiasm and a mature head, but she had been delisted the year before by Geelong, and got one of the few last spots as a DFA, due to her prior connection to KAntonio when they played footy together years ago. She hasn’t retired so I imagine she’s hoping/expecting to be back next season. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Do you mean Mascall or Clifford? I’m pretty sure Mascall stayed in for the rest of the season (could be wrong), where as Clifford was in and out. I do like what she brings - decent leadership, enthusiasm and a mature head, but she had been delisted the year before by Geelong, and got one of the few last spots as a DFA, due to her prior connection to KAntonio when they played footy together years ago. She hasn’t retired so I imagine she’s hoping/expecting to be back next season. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Clifford.

With Ann McMahon Coops said throughout the season when asked about injuries and how many players were missing that she would be playing if the incident didn't occur. She has also worked really really hard with Kate Star and is often seen in the footage she uploads to insta. I'd be surprised if she was moved on, entirely dependant on her health really
Fingers crossed then, would be one hell of a story if she could come back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back