AFLW AFLW Season 6, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

had a listen to the interview.

I'd have asked for some accountability surrounding the club's initial list build; how does Ben Waller review the club's efforts in building that first list...

some things to mention from the podcast:

- Waller was at the club back when Dan Lowther was a listed Geelong player, so he's obviously been around the traps quite a long time.

- Waller says the club approached Chloe Scheer - among others - through her management team. Good work.
Expects her to play more midfield minutes for Geelong; I'm already getting visions of Rocky II. Waller impressed with Emonson's kicking skills at her first training session with the VFLW squad recently.

- Waller acknowledged that the club doesn't like to lose locally produced talent like Liv Purcell, the club invests in strongly in the region so her defection is a disappointment.

- Nina Morrison training strongly. Mixture of fear and excitement hearing that; she's got a touch of the Dan Menzel's about her.
Club aiming for Round 1 of AFLW6.

- Waller said the club was ''light on'' in terms of support for Rene Caris, admitted the club would need to address that list weakness via the draft.
Still going for best available talent for those early picks though.
Sounds like he is looking to draft a bit of freedom and flair, mentioned leg speed and the word ''attacking'' more than once.

- the interviewers did ask a pointed question about looming expansion clubs and what sounded like mail that they had concerning a couple of highly rated kids with an eye to the Bombers or Hawks. Waller played a dead bat.
He did seem to have a pragmatic view regarding the movements of young players with Uni commitments, and spoke of the types of options open to potential draftees. He also said that the change in scheduling next season might see any clash of AFLW and Uni commitments diminish somewhat.

- talk of Laura Gardiner's 'dominant' VFLW campaign and the fact that a full VFLW season will do wonders for the development of the younger players.

- expects the teams progress next year to be measured in how competitive they remain in-game as opposed to the humble win/loss dichotomy. That's loser talk buddy! And yet that may be where we're at.

agreed, she could be a younger version of Aasta O’Connor for us - hoping she’ll last beyond our #15 selection, might be being a bit optimistic there though ..
I think watching our side we so need this girl she is a female Mumford version, they don't come along very often

I think watching our side we so need this girl she is a female Mumford version, they don't come along very often

you’re probably right - just hope we might be able to nab her a bit later in the draft as there’s some real quality available in that first round .. might need to prioritise the ruck though.. tough decision

I hope you'll all forgive a long-winded pre-AFLW draft ramble, as I'd hope to get some opinions on what approach the club should take with ''Superdraft II".

Keep in mind that I know next-to-nothing about this year's draft class apart from viewing the odd highlight, and that which I've been able to research online.

When the Cats joined the AFLW I had a fair idea as to what was available at the draft; I'd watched all of the 2018 junior championships and had a good feel for who we should target. This year though, not so much ....

regardless:

The club's 2018 spread - 6 selections within the top 25 - was a drafting smorgasbord; but for some poor luck (and some poor management) it might have yielded plenty.

That draft has given Geelong AFLW fans the full array of drafting outcomes;

Nina Morrison's elite talent - and vulnerable knees.
Olivia Purcell's guts and grunt - and wandering eye.
Bec Webster's steady progression from ''promising'' to ''delivering''.
Sophie Van De Heuvel's struggles to convert potential into performance.
Denby Taylor's easy talent curtailed by niggling injuries.
Georgia Clarke's long stretches of anonymity punctuated by commanding moments.

That "Superdraft" has in reality been a so-so result for us to date, reminding us that a strong hand at the draft can ultimately be frittered away over time without adequately instilling strong developmental habits, and just having a bit of luck.

So, to 2021.

* As with 2018 we'll take 3 top 10 picks to the compromised 2021 AFLW6 draft; 4 selections in the top 15 - but it basically works out to be 4 picks inside the top 10 when localized to the Victorian Pool.

* This time around we can select anyone in Victoria - but are we willing to spend our top picks on players who may well bail on us at their first opportunity? Word has it potential top pick Georgie Prespakis is a big chance to return to Essendon when their AFLW team takes the field...

* As usually seems to be the case there is a strong contingent of local Geelong Falcons players to consider this year. Unlike our last ''Superdraft'' however, we can't ''protect'' Falcons girls from other Victorian clubs drafting them this year.

* Richmond hold the key as to which way our draft will unfold imo; with #3 in the Vic draft pool will they try to replace Sabrina Frederick with a young KP? Or draft in some much-needed help for Monique Conti in the middle?
Whatever way they choose to go will affect the rest of our draft selections.
I'll take a stab and guess that either of Ella Friend or Stella Reid will become a Tiger - one is a very young KF who can run through the middle, the latter more of a pure midfielder.
This would then give us a clear run at all of the better-rated Falcons girls. But would we be ''reaching'' for the locals against better-credentialled players?

Falcon Annie Lee is a good example; looks a solid prospect, reads the game well at half-back.
She can take a mark and kicks well and seems a very mature kid - but is she a bit slow? a bit short?
Could be a future leader, but also might struggle to kick on once she's up against more athletic players.

Most pundits seem to rate Falcons small forward/undersized mid Poppy Schaap around the late teens, but might we pounce with an earlier selection given she addresses some of the needs (speed and an attacking mindset) that list manager Ben Waller identified recently?

Tess Craven seems a safe bet, but can we relax and let the inside midfielder slide to, say, #10 of the Vic pool - or should we be locking up the best Falcon prospect with our 2nd selection? And is she as good as Stella Reid, who was a Vic Metro midfielder/forward and kicked 3 goals in the Oakleigh Chargers winning Grand Final team against the Falcons? Would drafting Reid (should the Tigers pass her over @ #3) give us a better chance of retaining our probably #1 selection, her Chargers teammate Charlie Rowbottom?

* Then there's the issue of ruck support for Rene Caris.
There are apparently 2-3 good prospects in the junior pool, but might there be a mature-ager out there who could step up and be pre-listed? Would any of those 2-3 good junior prospects slip all the way to our 5th selection (#51 I think, but I believe it equates to around #31 when restricted to the Vic pool)?

What about another Falcon in Gabbi Featherston, who is undersized for a ruck but has a big leap and regularly logged ruck minutes this year? She's versatile and athletic and there seems to be a feeling that she's still exploring her potential.

Drunkcat I know you mentioned Ally Morphett as the perfect ruck complement to Rene Caris upthread, but we don't know if she's nominated Victoria; I'd be surprised if she wasn't tethered to GWS. Apart from Morphett there are a couple of other ruck prospects, but are we willing to spend a top 10 pick on one? Because I'm doubtful that the likes of Tahlia Gillard (190cm) will make it to our last selection.

So what say you?
- Go Local and avoid Flight Risks?
- Draft Best Available, pure and simple?
- Address gaping list holes?

Last edited:
I hope you'll all forgive a long-winded pre-AFLW draft ramble, as I'd hope to get some opinions on what approach the club should take with ''Superdraft II".

Keep in mind that I know next-to-nothing about this year's draft class apart from viewing the odd highlight, and that which I've been able to research online.

When the Cats joined the AFLW I had a fair idea as to what was available at the draft; I'd watched all of the 2018 junior championships and had a good feel for who we should target. This year though, not so much ....

regardless:

The club's 2018 spread - 6 selections within the top 25 - was a drafting smorgasbord; but for some poor luck (and some poor management) it might have been yielded plenty.

That draft has given Geelong AFLW fans the full array of drafting outcomes;

Nina Morrison's elite talent - and vulnerable knees.
Olivia Purcell's guts and grunt - and wandering eye.
Bec Webster's steady progression from ''promising'' to ''delivering''.
Sophie Van De Heuvel's struggles to convert potential into performance.
Denby Taylor's easy talent curtailed by niggling injuries.
Georgia Clarke's long stretches of anonymity punctuated by commanding moments.

That "Superdraft" has in reality been a so-so result for us to date, reminding us that a strong hand at the draft can ultimately be frittered away over time without adequately instilling strong developmental habits, and just having a bit of luck.

So, to 2021.

* As with 2018 we'll take 3 top 10 picks to the compromised 2021 AFLW6 draft; 4 selections in the top 15 - but it basically works out to be 4 picks inside the top 10 when localized to the Victorian Pool.

* This time around we can select anyone in Victoria - but are we willing to spend our top picks on players who may well bail on us at their first opportunity? Word has it potential top pick Georgie Prespakis is a big chance to return to Essendon when their AFLW team takes the field...

* As usually seems to be the case there is a strong contingent of local Geelong Falcons players to consider this year. Unlike our last ''Superdraft'' however, we can't ''protect'' Falcons girls from other Victorian clubs drafting them this year.

* Richmond hold the key as to which way our draft will unfold imo; with #3 in the Vic draft pool will they try to replace Sabrina Frederick with a young KP? Or draft in some much-needed help for Monique Conti in the middle?
Whatever way they choose to go will affect the rest of our draft selections.
I'll take a stab and guess that either of Ella Friend or Stella Reid will become a Tiger - one is a very young KF who can run through the middle, the latter more of a pure midfielder.
This would then give us a clear run at all of the better-rated Falcons girls. But would we be ''reaching'' for the locals against better-credentialled players?

Falcon Annie Lee is a good example; looks a solid prospect, reads the game well at half-back.
She can take a mark and kicks well and seems a very mature kid - but is she a bit slow? a bit short?
Could be a future leader, but also might struggle to kick on once she's up against more athletic players.

Most pundits seem to rate Falcons small forward/undersized mid Poppy Schaap around the late teens, but might we pounce with an earlier selection given she addresses some of the needs (speed and an attacking mindset) that list manager Ben Waller identified recently?

Tess Craven seems a safe bet, but can we relax and let the inside midfielder slide to, say, #10 of the Vic pool - or should we be locking up the best Falcon prospect with our 2nd selection? And is she as good as Stella Reid, who was a Vic Metro midfielder/forward and kicked 3 goals in the Oakleigh Chargers winning Grand Final team against the Falcons? Would drafting Reid (should the Tigers pass her over @ #3) give us a better chance of retaining our probably #1 selection, her Chargers teammate Charlie Rowbottom?

* Then there's the issue of ruck support for Rene Caris.
There are apparently 2-3 good prospects in the junior pool, but might there be a mature-ager out there who could step up and be pre-listed? Would any of those 2-3 good junior prospects slip all the way to our 5th selection (#51 I think, but I believe it equates to around #31 when restricted to the Vic pool)?

What about another Falcon in Gabbi Featherston, who is undersized for a ruck but has a big leap and regularly logged ruck minutes this year? She's versatile and athletic and there seems to be a feeling that she's still exploring her potential.

Drunkcat I know you mentioned Ally Morphett as the perfect ruck complement to Rene Caris upthread, but we don't know if she's nominated Victoria; I'd be surprised if she wasn't tethered to GWS. Apart from Morphett there are a couple of other ruck prospects, but are we willing to spend a top 10 pick on one? Because I'm doubtful that the likes of Tahlia Gillard (190cm) will make it to our last selection.

So what say you?
- Go Local and avoid Flight Risks?
- Draft Best Available, pure and simple?
- Address gaping list holes?

Thanks, Cursed Cat, for taking the time to compile this summary. As you say, that early crack at drafting doesn't actually read that badly. If we could have some better outcomes with injury and retention this time, we may still find more than a few likely types.

I pretty much guarantee I know less than everyone here about the best prospects this time around. But I really hope we cast the net a little broader than we did in 2018. So many mid-sized players, all in one go. Even if they'd all come on, it hardly provided us balance as a unit coming through together. As it was, a number of the mature types we brought in to play some of the key roles never really carried it off. Which now surely leaves us shorter of developing talls than any of us would like.

Barber is going to be an absolute gun. And hopefully a few of our keys down back can hold on a little longer as well. But we are seriously short of strong ruck options (please don't send Barber in there!) and are going to need to develop some talls at both ends for the not too distant future. Quality mids will always be a need; I just hope they don't throw too many picks in that direction this time to the detriment of overall list development. In the end, Gardiner, Moloney and Remmos developing alongside Webster, Amy Mc, Croc and Nina would be far from a terrible nucleus to add to at this point. No need to go overboard in the middle of the ground if we can't score at one end or hold up defensively at the other.

Thanks, Cursed Cat, for taking the time to compile this summary. As you say, that early crack at drafting doesn't actually read that badly. If we could have some better outcomes with injury and retention this time, we may still find more than a few likely types.

I pretty much guarantee I know less than everyone here about the best prospects this time around. But I really hope we cast the net a little broader than we did in 2018. So many mid-sized players, all in one go. Even if they'd all come on, it hardly provided us balance as a unit coming through together. As it was, a number of the mature types we brought in to play some of the key roles never really carried it off. Which now surely leaves us shorter of developing talls than any of us would like.

Barber is going to be an absolute gun. And hopefully a few of our keys down back can hold on a little longer as well. But we are seriously short of strong ruck options (please don't send Barber in there!) and are going to need to develop some talls at both ends for the not too distant future. Quality mids will always be a need; I just hope they don't throw too many picks in that direction this time to the detriment of overall list development. In the end, Gardiner, Moloney and Remmos developing alongside Webster, Amy Mc, Croc and Nina would be far from a terrible nucleus to add to at this point. No need to go overboard in the middle of the ground if we can't score at one end or hold up defensively at the other.

I didn't like the way Ben Waller casually talked about Liv Barber chipping in at the ruck duels in his recent interview (posted upthread) - seemed a bit too comfortable with the idea - he did concede we needed to do something about ruck support for Caris though, and implied the draft would be the mechanism to bring one in (I'm holding out hope there may be a mature-ager doing time in the VFLW who is able to step in and play a support role next year, but that is a hope without any basis).

as to your other point about going with too many same-same midfielder types, Waller seemed to indicate that speed and a certain attacking quality (which he barely defined beyond saying 'attacking', but I can use my imagination) would be something the club would be interested in bringing onboard, that's why Poppy Schaap has captured my imagination a bit - she'd be the smallest player on our list if drafted but she sounds clean and has an eye for goals - I read one description where she was said to have created 'havoc' for Vic Country - I like the sound of that.

Charlie Rowbottom, who will very possibly go with our #2 selection, is a tall girl; she plays as a mid and up forward; I can envisage a situation whereby her and Chloe Scheer are rotating on-ball through CHF.

I didn't like the way Ben Waller casually talked about Liv Barber chipping in at the ruck duels in his recent interview (posted upthread) - seemed a bit too comfortable with the idea - he did concede we needed to do something about ruck support for Caris though, and implied the draft would be the mechanism to bring one in (I'm holding out hope there may be a mature-ager doing time in the VFLW who is able to step in and play a support role next year, but that is a hope without any basis).

as to your other point about going with too many same-same midfielder types, Waller seemed to indicate that speed and a certain attacking quality (which he barely defined beyond saying 'attacking', but I can use my imagination) would be something the club would be interested in bringing onboard, that's why Poppy Schaap has captured my imagination a bit - she'd be the smallest player on our list if drafted but she sounds clean and has an eye for goals - I read one description where she was said to have created 'havoc' for Vic Country - I like the sound of that.

Charlie Rowbottom, who will very possibly go with our #2 selection, is a tall girl; she plays as a mid and up forward; I can envisage a situation whereby her and Chloe Scheer are rotating on-ball through CHF.

Scheer will definitely be vital if we are to seriously improve. And I too like the sound of bringing through more of our local girls. Just hope there is a clear strategy for entire list management, rather than just being beguiled into simply attracting the 'best talent' or 'rewarding the Geelong region'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scheer will definitely be vital if we are to seriously improve. And I too like the sound of bringing through more of our local girls. Just hope there is a clear strategy for entire list management, rather than just being beguiled into simply attracting the 'best talent' or 'rewarding the Geelong region'.

Well with the local girls, this year anyway, I'm mainly keen on Schaap because she would provide a point of difference that might make an impact on games. The Geelong thing is a bonus in her case, but I'd be willing to 'reach' for her in this draft if she bobs up with cheeky goals next year.

Do we do the same for half-decent ruck support? Or wait for the best of the sliders to #51(= #31 I think)?? If we pulled the trigger with our 4th selection we could get the tallest player in the draft, who sounds as though she has enough upside to put the time into - but I don't reckon she'd slide all the way to our 5th pick.

Tess Craven and Annie Lee are two other highly rated Falcon girls; I have seen highlights of Annie Lee; she looks solid enough but nothing spectacular athletically, and it sounds as though there are at least a few other eligible girls the equal or better of Craven who play the same role (Amanda Ling is an intriguing one for instance - no relation). So yeah, I'm with you; the list management needs to be agile and not get too rigid in their thinking.

Was listening to a bit of the podcast with Melbourne's AFLW list manager, and he was saying he had been chipping away at getting Liv Purcell to cross over for a few years.
And I think the club was probably aware of that and that a move was likely this off season

The changes in the leadership group ahead of this past season and Purcell not being included just really stood out to me

Not Geelong specific, though I wouldn't be surprised if we get a mention in the article, but good on the coaches for speaking out

Not often i agree with CW .. I do with this one. Does anyone think that a player like Daisy could one day coach one the 18 mens team? No one could doubt her football ability or knowledge..but would she even be given a chance? Probably not in my life time..certainly not if they do not coach in the women comp, and the roles are filled with men look for their chance to progress.

A chance to look at some potential draftee options and the coach of the team - I know there been some discussion about the lack of female coaches within the AFLW setting, but here's a former player who is making a name themselves in their first year of coaching.

I get the point that Turbocat was saying earlier regarding the coaching situation, but maybe we'll start to see former players like Hickey taking the next steps in their coaching careers over the next 2/3/4 years. With the league not being professional it may hinder the opportunities for coaching development opportunities straight from finishing their playing careers, but maybe there's the chances to use the likes of the NAB League as an introduction and stepping stone to the likes of VFLW, AFLW and then who knows...

THE AFL has today announced 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships All-Australian Team

DEFENDERS
Annie Lee
(Victoria Country/Geelong Falcons)
Date of Birth 28/08/03
Height 163cm
Small defender whose intercept marking and ball use on the way out features of her game in the Championships. Averaged 11 disposals (64 per cent efficiency), four marks and three tackles in a rock-solid performance for Victoria Country. A one-touch player with good composure under pressure, she made good decisions with the ball in hand. A three time best and fairest winner at underage level from the Geelong Amateurs.

COACH
Melissa Hickey
Former AFLW player with Geelong who was coach of the unbeaten Victorian Country Under-19s team.

1625793106035.jpeg

A chance to look at some potential draftee options and the coach of the team - I know there been some discussion about the lack of female coaches within the AFLW setting, but here's a former player who is making a name themselves in their first year of coaching.

I get the point that Turbocat was saying earlier regarding the coaching situation, but maybe we'll start to see former players like Hickey taking the next steps in their coaching careers over the next 2/3/4 years. With the league not being professional it may hinder the opportunities for coaching development opportunities straight from finishing their playing careers, but maybe there's the chances to use the likes of the NAB League as an introduction and stepping stone to the likes of VFLW, AFLW and then who knows...

THE AFL has today announced 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships All-Australian Team

DEFENDERS
Annie Lee
Date of Birth 28/08/03
Height 163cm
Small defender whose intercept marking and ball use on the way out features of her game in the Championships. Averaged 11 disposals (64 per cent efficiency), four marks and three tackles in a rock-solid performance for Victoria Country. A one-touch player with good composure under pressure, she made good decisions with the ball in hand. A three time best and fairest winner at underage level from the Geelong Amateurs.

COACH
Melissa Hickey
Former AFLW player with Geelong who was coach of the unbeaten Victorian Country Under-19s team.

View attachment 1173620

Maybe I want some action a bit quick than possible but sometimes you learn how to swim by being thrown in the deep end. Sometimes you drown too. I would like to see the woman comp get to the stage were it stands on it own legs, and being more skill based. fear that the professional mens side only emphasises the negativity which does little for me. Maybe, as you say, Hickey is the thin end of the wedge. Generally I dislike the idea of affirmative action but sometime you do need to break the mold. Id ask why is there not more indig coach in the afl? Are they given enough of a chance to show their worth. Id like to see more at a VFL level and lets see what can be developed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back