Game Day AFLX 2018 vs GWS & Brisbane Sat 17/02 Sydney

Does AFLX interest you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We actually played quite well, happy with our performance. While the team that we fielded was very close to our VFL side (literally), I like that we still gave it a good go and were going for the win in all of the matches that we played.

raw

Just back from AFL ASS.

It was actually much better to watch in person than TV.

The GOOD:

Still not sold but not the worst thing I've seen. Still better to watch than league and soccer. Got to see my Tigers. Teams looked like they were having a go. It's an effective training exercise.

Watching all the red tracksuit wearing dickhead Swan supporters leaving disappointed.

The BAD:
The ground announcer pissed me off big time. Just what I wanted.... A wannabe comedian Swan supporting tool talking me through the whole game. I have eyes you fu*kwit! Bloke needed to be taken out the back and have the sh*t beaten out of him.

The pointless interviews during play. Why?

The stupid smoke machine blowing the X behind goals that was far too loud and probably deafened a few kids.

Trying to charge $20 for a mini X football - shove that you thieves!

The umpiring was ordinary across all games I thought.

OBSERVATIONS ON THE TIGERS:

Short run really hard to the point of being spent. He was prone to a few turnovers by foot.

Balta is massive and mobile. I like him.

Butler zippy and dangerous.

George looked pretty good.

Broad has great closing speed and makes good decisions.

Our pressure was pretty good as you'd expect.

Plenty of Tigers around the ground and even got a few "carn the Tiges" from fellow Premiership supporters as I had my Tiger T on.

I didn’t see any of the games. By the sounds of it, Balta looks promising. Can see him being very dangerous for other teams in the next 10 years. How was Higgins?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Higgins only played the 1st game but looked good
He will be a Prestia type of player imo

I didn’t see any of the games. By the sounds of it, Balta looks promising. Can see him being very dangerous for other teams in the next 10 years. How was Higgins?

Higgins was solid from what I saw, but may need to do a bit more in the JLT preseason games in order to crack into our Round 1 team.

To my surprise though, Balta looks like he'd slot right into our senior side. If he already looks agile and gets himself into the right positions in such a fast-paced game like AFLX, I wonder what he'd do in an actual AFL game. His marking seems good too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a feeling Gil is gonna have the 50m line painted at 40m in the real AFL but still mark it 50. Makes the kick for goals look like huuuuuuge zoopers even though they're only 44m or what not

Higgo was lively , would have preferred he played both as Baker looked awestruck out there with the stop and go sign ea time he got a passie

You know what really pissed me off with this s**t version of the game was last touch free . Don’t know how many times our defenders spoilt a mark and they got a free over the boundary from it , prob cost us the game v lions

An absurdity of the rules

Yeah I agree - I think deliberate is far enough.

There was a really good smoother (I think it was our game) near the boundary line so it was rewarded with a free to the other team - makes no sense.

Got a feeling Gil is gonna have the 50m line painted at 40m in the real AFL but still mark it 50. Makes the kick for goals look like huuuuuuge zoopers even though they're only 44m or what not
TBH The whole of Sydney has had a shocking history of this sort of thing. Remember the controversy at the Sydney Olympics? Here's a 2 minutes from bit of a docco from 4 Corners
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-17/john-clarke-has-some-legitimate-questions-about/8446728

Yeah I agree - I think deliberate is far enough.

There was a really good smoother (I think it was our game) near the boundary line so it was rewarded with a free to the other team - makes no sense.
You get used to that rule quick. Just have to adapt a little. (A lot of people play basketball and are used to that ,mind set)
I'd be happy to ban tackles completely. (a la touch football)
Look I'm happy to see AFL getting played. I reckon the standard in AFLW is improving. If the tigs had a team I'd watch it more intently. The knee injuries they are copping is interesting. But its good to see Collingwood lose.
AFLX great to see the yellow and black again. it did just look like circle work, and a chance to muck around with rules. It was good to see Balta, Higgins & Egg, & Moore. Moore, not bad. I don't know if he locks in 2nd tall fwd position after that. I liked Short's game.
Conca was getting a bit of the ball too. All good for depth down there at Punt Rd.

Last edited:
I'm tipping the international rules comp. will be superseeded by an AFLX round robin in October ( Tenth month)
10 teams with new names: Not affiliated with the AFL so drug testing not an issue.
For starters Play LA, Las Vegas & New York as curtain raisers at a Lakers game, & a nicks game.
Just rope in any AFL player over there on end of season trip, Dane Swan to coach.
Ben Griffiths, Ben Lennon might play.

Last edited:
I think conca could play Townsend’s role really well on the other flank or pocket
Conca would not be able to "Shutdown" to best opposition HBF and he is an appalling kick for goal; Conca belongs in the magoos.

You know what really pissed me off with this s**t version of the game was last touch free . Don’t know how many times our defenders spoilt a mark and they got a free over the boundary from it , prob cost us the game v lions

An absurdity of the rules
Probably one of the negatives that stood out for me too. Well, that and the fact that they kept doing interviews while the game that lasts only 10 minutes per half was being played.

Back