All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Diamo seem to be a real powerhouse now they recruit from everywhere
I’m so sad rn. We played so well but couldn’t capitalise in the 3rd. Sigh.

Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
West Heidelberg seem pretty involved with them.

Maybe they’ll have an MOU with 2 clubs
Would be staggering if Keon park would re-align themselves with reservoir. Would be great for reservoir particularly with the constant doubt over there future sustainability.

What are the more successful MOU’s? Watsonia & Mill Park?
Lower Plenty & research?

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would be staggering if Keon park would re-align themselves with reservoir. Would be great for reservoir particularly with the constant doubt over there future sustainability.

What are the more successful MOU’s? Watsonia & Mill Park?
Lower Plenty & research?
Who knows what the deal is but West Heidelberg look to be trying to start a 19s on the back of the 17s Keon park group?

Yep they are good MOUs, no 17s for the second year in a row for Mill Park though. No 16s either .

bertybeetle

All Australian
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who knows what the deal is but West Heidelberg look to be trying to start a 19s on the back of the 17s Keon park group?

Yep they are good MOUs, no 17s for the second year in a row for Mill Park though. No 16s either .
Announced a coach last night it must be getting serious.

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Why oh why can the NFNL continue to produce and present Annual Report without a financial report? Clubs should know where the hard-earned money raised to run a club is going. I watch people bust their nut scraping for every cent to run a club, the NFNL collects some tasty fees which we know they need to exist, but one obligation should be an open book via annual reporting.

VAFA and Eastern have their annual reports online and a nice financial report as per guidelines set down by Consumer Affairs Victoria, NFNL just does what it wants.

Easy to hide things if you don't present them. No doubt free lunches and friday boozy drinks expenses ...... kickbacks for using Preston...... free fuel allowances......and I am sure a few took a free trip to the Super Bowl....... are hard to put in a report (I have no idea if all this happens but as they do not show a financial report may as well start the rumors)

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why oh why can the NFNL continue to produce and present Annual Report without a financial report? Clubs should know where the hard-earned money raised to run a club is going. I watch people bust their nut scraping for every cent to run a club, the NFNL collects some tasty fees which we know they need to exist, but one obligation should be an open book via annual reporting.

VAFA and Eastern have their annual reports online and a nice financial report as per guidelines set down by Consumer Affairs Victoria, NFNL just does what it wants.

Easy to hide things if you don't present them. No doubt free lunches and friday boozy drinks expenses ...... kickbacks for using Preston...... free fuel allowances......and I am sure a few took a free trip to the Super Bowl....... are hard to put in a report (I have no idea if all this happens but as they do not show a financial report may as well start the rumors)
Yep with the DVFLs shady past this needs to be public.

Was it presented at the AGM?

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I am not a technology proficient person, so I have to ask if it's possible with the current company are NFNL games being videoed able to be live streamed?

I have noticed most local cricket clubs using a system to enable those that cannot get to games to stream, whilst the camera is fixed and for cricket that works well, they update live scores and advertise sponsors at breaks. Actually, went to a ground and sussed it out and its a very easy system, score and sponsor updates on a program that scorers update immediately and very simply.

Would be a great modern addition for the league. Would push the games to be available for many that cannot get there (or away on well-deserved holidays...) and even have other games in clubrooms of rivals. Sponsors would love it as well; extra promotion is awesome.

Anyone in the 'game' know how this can happen? Cameras are there already, just seems all it needs to do is connect to Clubs wifi and a simple program to update scores and promote sponsors. Would this improvement into the future something that the NFNL should be looking at to help Clubs, it would have to be NFNL led as they provide the camermen. Would Clubs be willing to pay a little extra for this option if it was a requirement to get it?

latemail

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2007
bundoora
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am not a technology proficient person, so I have to ask if it's possible with the current company are NFNL games being videoed able to be live streamed?

I have noticed most local cricket clubs using a system to enable those that cannot get to games to stream, whilst the camera is fixed and for cricket that works well, they update live scores and advertise sponsors at breaks. Actually, went to a ground and sussed it out and its a very easy system, score and sponsor updates on a program that scorers update immediately and very simply.

Would be a great modern addition for the league. Would push the games to be available for many that cannot get there (or away on well-deserved holidays...) and even have other games in clubrooms of rivals. Sponsors would love it as well; extra promotion is awesome.

Anyone in the 'game' know how this can happen? Cameras are there already, just seems all it needs to do is connect to Clubs wifi and a simple program to update scores and promote sponsors. Would this improvement into the future something that the NFNL should be looking at to help Clubs, it would have to be NFNL led as they provide the camermen. Would Clubs be willing to pay a little extra for this option if it was a requirement to get it?

While there are clubs that would prioritise a CHF over the above suggestion, I think this would be a great way to promote your club and local footy in general. I agree that it would be great for sponsors and have no doubt if required a small subscription fee would be well received for those wishing to view the matches live.

NFNL games can be live streamed but it is probably only possible to do one game at a time cost-wise. EDFL do it from my knowledge but also it requires extra staff from Sportscast to do live graphics and what not, so it'd also probably be a very costly exercise to do it during the home-and-away season. Makes sense then to only have it during finals.

The cricket system works pretty decently with Frogbox but it is only able to be live streamed on YouTube to my knowledge.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Live stream part would be easy. You could plug straight into Facebook. But without commentary, graphics etc would it be in high demand? I’m sure a few would watch. But would it lower crowds? Would be some opt to stay home as opposed to go and spend money?

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
NFNL games can be live streamed but it is probably only possible to do one game at a time cost-wise. EDFL do it from my knowledge but also it requires extra staff from Sportscast to do live graphics and what not, so it'd also probably be a very costly exercise to do it during the home-and-away season. Makes sense then to only have it during finals.

The cricket system works pretty decently with Frogbox but it is only able to be live streamed on YouTube to my knowledge.

If stream is programed into the current live scoring, then the graphics can be easy. The system the cricket use cannot be hard to join with SportsTG (if they had the want) As you said this is simple process though FrogBox so cannot be costly, we pay for the current videoing and have scorers at ground that live update so if it was aligned to that its the same rate of effort (as is with current cricket concept)

Running though YouTube would be a benefit to be honest as its a stable platform.

Cannot see NFNL allowing it to happen in finals due to them selling videos to ensure they have money for long lunches.

I understand some thinking it would stop people going to the game, but I cannot see that as a huge issue. Its more moving with the times, as you said it does happen in other leagues and sports so why not NFNL. The promotion of sponsors and the promotion of the league would be the big benefit, even without commentary (I have been to many games live and survived without commentary....) Then the NFNL can have a YouTube channel and do pregame shows (saya Fri night) and post-game shows (say a Monday) they can do that with the radio services they do (and I am sure get heaps of listeners....) So the league can promote themselves.

tsunami

Debutant
Dec 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If stream is programed into the current live scoring, then the graphics can be easy. The system the cricket use cannot be hard to join with SportsTG (if they had the want) As you said this is simple process though FrogBox so cannot be costly, we pay for the current videoing and have scorers at ground that live update so if it was aligned to that its the same rate of effort (as is with current cricket concept)

Running though YouTube would be a benefit to be honest as its a stable platform.

Cannot see NFNL allowing it to happen in finals due to them selling videos to ensure they have money for long lunches.

I understand some thinking it would stop people going to the game, but I cannot see that as a huge issue. Its more moving with the times, as you said it does happen in other leagues and sports so why not NFNL. The promotion of sponsors and the promotion of the league would be the big benefit, even without commentary (I have been to many games live and survived without commentary....) Then the NFNL can have a YouTube channel and do pregame shows (saya Fri night) and post-game shows (say a Monday) they can do that with the radio services they do (and I am sure get heaps of listeners....) So the league can promote themselves.
Setup of frogbox is around $3,000 and then there is an annual fee of around $800.
Think the problem is the NFNL owns the footage of games, not sure if that is fact or not but if it was you can ensure that they would add an extra charge as they would want to control the platform is run on and wouldn’t want any footage getting out that would bring the league bad publicity.
Pretty sure PlayHQ will be the new platform for clubs in the next year or two

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah, this old chetnut.....

Dropped into RMIT to watch a few minutes of a praccy game today.

I know I will get shot down for this but RMIT ground is PERFECT for finals.

I have no idea who plays there (hippy uni people??) but the ground is in mint condition, there is raised areas around the whole ground for spectators that could handle large crowds, heaps of parking, easy to get to. Other than no undercover (but heaps of areas for Marquees and tentage?) or grandstand, its fine and would handle the crowds we see at local finals easily.

No doubt its not available especially for GFs but if we want neutral grounds for all finals this is easily a good option.

Son of a Butcher

Debutant
Jan 21, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood

I have no idea who plays there (hippy uni people??) but the ground is in mint condition, there is raised areas around the whole ground for spectators that could handle large crowds, heaps of parking, easy to get to. Other than no undercover (but heaps of areas for Marquees and tentage?) or grandstand, its fine and would handle the crowds we see at local finals easily.

No doubt its not available especially for GFs but if we want neutral grounds for all finals this is easily a good option.
Good call, agree with everything you've said, although it's too easily accessible by the public so the league would have to invest in some temp fencing or some other such infrastructure to enable them to sting everyone the $15.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood

D3 is a no brainer. Whittlesea is past it’s used by date.

Back