Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Unusual to see you being positive about melbourne. Anyway, carry on :D

I'm hard on Melbourne, and my own club, when there is good reason. And Melbourne has given me lots of reasons in recent memory.

I still question McCartney's role in strategy. His lack of it saw us lose to Essendon the second time this year (even though some bloke from their side kicked eight we were still well poised to win if he just put someone on Dustin Fletcher instead of letting him come third man up all the bloody time).

I'm hard on Melbourne, and my own club, when there is good reason. And Melbourne has given me lots of reasons in recent memory.

I still question McCartney's role in strategy. His lack of it saw us lose to Essendon the second time this year (even though some bloke from their side kicked eight we were still well poised to win if he just put someone on Dustin Fletcher instead of letting him come third man up all the bloody time).

I'm not too sure it'll be a tactical role - strategy is a bit ambiguous as a term for these roles though!

I'm not an insider but I'm pretty sure the strategy doesn't involve coming up with a game plan and the like. It would be either the strategies needed to develop. Giving the rest of the development coaches a plan to follow. Or it would be focusing on opposition strategy and helping us exploit it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the spray Mooney gave Griffen for leaving the Dogs, I doubt he'll be leaving unless the new coach doesn't want him.

From memory Ling made a comment about the Dogs decision to sack Mccartney when he had a similar win/loss ratio to Clarkson at the same point in his coaching tenure. Iirc his words were 'difference between strong clubs and weak clubs'

Both of them are obviously there because McCartney wanted them.

If we had this coaching staff at the end of 2009 we'd be playing finals by now, I reckon. The talent is no doubt still there. Better later than never!

Well if we had this coaching staff in 2009 we'd likely have drafted better.

Well if we had this coaching staff in 2009 we'd likely have drafted better.

More that we'd have likely drafted footballers, rather than guys who would play well in one specific game plan.

Surely you blokes have got one of the best structured coaching panels in the game now.

I remember writing in the lead up to the Roos appointment that he would give you what you had been lacking, and it had almost nothing to do with football.

Now that he appears to be well on track to doing that, the appointment of Goodwin (who I can't rate any higher) is a masterstroke.

McCartney is one of the best developers of youth in the game - I'm telling you that you're on to a winning combination with this setup.

I completely forgot we had McCartney
Bring on the development of viney, Riley, toumpas, Salem etc
Will probably be good for Trengove too if he ever gets back. Hopefully Macca can teach Watts and Toumpas to tackle like Macrae and Libba

Will probably be good for Trengove too if he ever gets back. Hopefully Macca can teach Watts and Toumpas to tackle like Macrae and Libba

Macrae has always tackled poorly (I've seen him play since high school), high numbers doesn't mean much - he just hugs people around stoppages, Libba tackles verrry well though.

Macrae has always tackled poorly (I've seen him play since high school), high numbers doesn't mean much - he just hugs people around stoppages, Libba tackles verrry well though.
Hmmm Macrae's a decent pressure player though, always hot on his direct opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back