Competitions All Time Draft - Vote For The Best Team

Who Has The Best Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 27 & 28
  • I'm not am old bastard like you blokes so I'm relying on reputation and accolades a bit.

Pick 27 - Geoff Raines. 3 time rfc bnf winner, premiership player, team of the century member and a bit of a club ****. First piece of the midfield.

Pick 28 - Kevin sheedy. 251 games, 3 flags, bnf winner, captain, and another team of the century member.

Back to you Phar Ace

Pick 29
  • There are a few players I still want a lot - but I will be really mad at myself if I do not take at Pick 29:
    Roger Dean
    1637417099046.png

He is the reason I barrack for Richmond. Taken to my first ever game by my Dad (it was at Lake Oval), I was all of 5 having just returned from Fiji. I can still see where we were at the end of the grandstand, but having never seen the game and no idea about the teams, the bloke next to me jumped out of his seat as Roger Dean won one of his customary free kicks (remember those 4 weeks Ron Barrassi) and that bloke yelled at the top if his lungs "Dean you bloody squib"- and easily influenced I thought that is what you do here, so I jumped up on my seat and yelled as loud as I could "Yeah Dean, you squid" - to which my father rather embarrassingly yanked me back down in my seat and said "shut up - he's one of ours". It must have resonated - 'Ours' meant I barracked for the Tigers then! That Roger Dean bloke was my hero for ever more! Two time Premiership player (unlucky not to be three) - Premiership Captain! A Richmond Immortal!

1637418151272.png

Wrenny / Phar Ace's team (jump in when you can Wrenny!)
    B: xx xx xx
    HB: xx xx xx
    C: xx M Rioli Snr xx
    HF: xx xx xx
    F: xx J.Titus xx
    FOL: M.Green xx R.Dean
    IC: xx xx xx xx

You are up again _RT_

Last edited:

Pick 30
  • With pick 30 I'm selecting another doozy in Ron Branton

Ron played in the back-pocket and as a rover after being recruited from Maryborough. He was a courageous and inspiring player and though only short in stature was a strong mark. He was a tireless trier who had the ability to nullify opponents and still gather possessions himself. He polled well in the Best and Fairest award running equal second in the 1956, second in 1958 and third in 1957, before winning the award in 1960, 1961 and 1962. He was senior vice captain in 1958 and 1959 and captain from 1960 until 1962. He also won the Most Determined Trophy in 1957. In 1953 he won the Best First Year Player award and in 1962 he was awarded Life Membership. He also won the club Goalkicking award in 1953 and 1954 and he went on to represent Victoria twice. Ron’s highest individual goal tally was 4 which he kicked on five occasions. In his last VFL season he ran equal second in the 1962 “Brownlow Medal”. He captained the club to their only night Premiership win, which ironically was his last game with the club and won the Best and Fairest for the third time. Only Kevin Bartlett, Jacky Dyer and Roy Wright have won more Best and Fairest awards.

Accolades:
    Jack Dyer Medal - 1960 1961 1962
    Club Leading Goalkicker - 1953 1954
    Richmond Captain - 1960-1962
    Richmond Hall Of Fame - 2006

Pick 31
  • With Pick 31 I select my current fave Tiger Nick Vlastuin
    To date 173 games, 27 goals, 3 time premiership player
    Drafted 9th overall in 2012, debuted round 5 in 2013
    52536e373d026c19568bb454ed6cf006

PB74's team
    B: xx D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
    C: xx xx xx
    F: xx M.Roach xx
    FOL: xx xx D.Weightman

richard parker you're up next

Pick 33
  • Pick 33- Jim "The Ghost" Jess

Games - 223
    Goals - 175

An ebullient, larger than life character who played football with verve, persistence and no small amount of 'devil', Jim Jess was a firm favourite among Richmond fans throughout a 223-game VFL career that ran from 1976 to 1988. Known as 'The Ghost', he excelled in both defensive and attacking key positions, often during the course of the same game.

Probably Jess's best and certainly his most eventful season was 1980, when he was a major driving force behind a Richmond surge to the premiership that culminated in a 23.21 (159) to 9.24 (78) Grand Final annihilation of Collingwood. That same year saw Jess make the All Australian side after a couple of vibrantly effective performances for the 'Big V' at the Adelaide state of origin carnival. Powerful overhead, and a prodigious kick, Jess, who was loathed as much by opposition fans as he was loved by Richmond's, was a major draw-card during a period when VFL football was declining in popularity. His loyalty to the Tigers was amply demonstrated late in his career when he agreed to accept reduced match payments in order to help the cash-strapped club.

• Richmond Premiership Player 1980
    • Interstate Games:- 3
    • All Australian: 1980
    • Richmond - Hall of Fame - inducted 2008

1637624231226.png

Team
    HB: xx Jess xx
    C: Clay Stewart xx
    HF: xx Richardson xx
    F: xx xx xx
    FOL: xx xx xx

Tiger_Of_Old you're up

Last edited:
    Pick 34
  • Pick 33-Mark Lee.
    Sorry peterbuch74 but I had too breakup the Batman & Robin mildura duo of the General & the flea.
    Was a very close call between Lee & Nank the Tank.
    End of the day the only decider was Lee's height.
    Will do Lee's bio later.

Pick 35
  • Bryan Wood.

1637669256219.png

A tall, athletic, quick, competitive, high-marking, long-kicking winger who matched it with the best in the league's golden era of wingmen (Flower, Greig, Hawkins, Schimma, Dipper, Turner, Barham).

Wood was Richmond's Best First Year Player in 1972, became a premiership player 12 months later, and went back-to-back in 74. He was a senior member of the 1980 flag and took over the captaincy in 81.

He excelled in the one-on-one contests wingers found themselves in in those days, leaping for marks, recovering like a cat, dashing forward and often kicking long goals.

He was the youngest Tiger to 100 games (22) and added a further 109 games before his old mate Sheeds poached him to join Esserdun in 1983, where he played in the 1985 premiership, his fourth.

What my dad would call "a terrific player".

Wacky Tiger you're up

Last edited:
    Picks 36 & 37
  • 36. Neil Balme

b9891332f2bb564405b6d9def540db42

1977_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_72_Neil_Balme_Richmond_Tigers.jpg

Neil Balme: 1970-1979, 159 games, 229 goals
    His reputation as an enforcer (opposition supporters might say "thug") undermines his true worth as a player. A dual premiership ruckman/forward who kicked 229 goals including 55 in 1972.

37. Barry 'Bones' Richardson

f169d.Screen_Shot_2016-02-22_at_5.07.49_PM.png

MyyLpenJ.jpg

Barry Richardson: 1965-1974, 125 games, 134 goals
    Three flags and it would have been four but for his knees. Starred at full-back (1969) and full-forward (1974) in premiership teams. He wasn't spectacular, but he was smart and highly efficient. Could play forward or back. More versatility for Wackys All-Stars

Wackys 22

FB:
    ??? - Barry Richardson - Dylan Grimes
    HB:
    ??? - ??? - ???
    C: ??? - Dustin Martin - ???
    HF: ??? - ??? - ???
    FF: ??? - ??? - Neil Balme
    Foll:
    Roy Wright - ??? - ???
    Int: ??? - ??? - ??? - ???

richoatthedisco you're go again buddy

Pick 38
  • Robert Wiley.

1637656755595.png

A genuine star rover, Wiley joined Richmond in 1979 off the back of five consecutive best and fairests for Perth - in his first five seasons! He spent five years at the Tigers, playing 95 games and kicking 127 goals. He averaged 23.6 disposals and 1.3 goals per game in yellow and black and was a key member of the 1980 premiership side, forming a deadly roving duo with a young bloke called Dave Wightman, or something. In that premiership season, Wiley averaged 25.7 disposals and 1.3 goals per game, ranking 5th in the league for total disposals and 3rd for disposals per game.

In the qualifying final, Wiley had 28 disposals and 2 goals against Carlton, then 30 against the Cats in the second semi, before a lazy 26 and 3 in the granny.

In 1981 and 1982 he ranked 5th in the league for disposals per game, booting a career high 40 goals in 1982, including 7 goals and 33 disposals in the Easter Monday second half obliteration of Essendon in front of 90,000 plus, including a Richo too young to even go to a Blue Light. He kicked them from everywhere that day, sensational. In the finals that year he racked up 27 in the semi and 24 in the granny.

He left the Tiges after the 1983 season to resume winning B&Fs at Perth (3 more in a row, making it 8 out of 8). If he stayed at Richmond his legacy would be greater, but he was a deadset star. Ball magnet, quick, smart, dual sided, goal-kicking gun of a rover.

The full game's on youtube too if you're interested.

Tiger_Of_Old (hope that's the right one)

Pick 39
  • Noah Balta.
    Some might say a tad early but I dare any of you to revisit this thread in 10yrs time.

Barunga Bullet your up.

Pick 40
  • Pick 40- Joel Bowden

265 games
    171 goals
    2 x Jack Dyer Medals
    2 x All Australian

Joel Bowden played 265 games with the Richmond over 14 solid seasons between 1996 and 2009. After his debut in 1996, he carved a reputation as one of the Tigers' favourite sons. He was drafted at the end of 1995 under a father-son selection, and is the son of former Richmond 1969 premiership player Michael Bowden. Bowden played as a backman but could also be a play as a key forward.

In 2006, Bowden was among the leading possession getters in the AFL, and had the most possessions shared between any two players with his brother Patrick.

In Round 16, 2008, Bowden was at the centre of a major controversy regarding rushed behinds. With Richmond up by six points against Essendon with less than a minute left, Bowden proceeded to wipe the remaining time off the clock by rushing two behinds from the kick out - tactics which caused an uproar with many calling for the current rules to be changed. Football journalist Mike Sheahan even likened it to the infamous Trevor Chappell underarm delivery. He played his last game in 2009 against Collingwood, who thrashed the Tigers by 93 points.

Team
    HB: bowden Jess xx
    F: xx xx xx

richard parker

Attachments

• 1637699831056.png
      1637699831056.png
      27.9 KB · Views: 34
    Last edited:
    Pick 41
  • Pick 41 - Jeff Hogg

5 time leading goal kicker at the club and captain in 1993. Kicked 307 goals in 144 appearances at the tiges.

He was a smart player for a big man and was also a good runner. A very nice kick too, just what you want in a full forward. He kicked over two goals a game in a team that invariably languished in the bottom reaches of the ladder.

Can only think how he would have gone in a winning team (winning percentage 28%). These were some very dark years for the club I remember them fairly well as I was in primary school collecting footy cards and coping it from all the hawks and bombers fans. What made it more frustrating is that we clearly had a number of outstanding players so the problems clearly stemmed from poor culture and leadership/administration in my opinion.

Last edited:
    Pick 42
  • PICK 42 - CHRIS NEWMAN
    Mr reliable... Tigers captain from 2019 to 2012
    b75169b780f9fa8b442c0471c1bf341d

PB74's team
    B: xxxxxxxxx D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
    HB: C.Newman xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
    C: xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
    HF: xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
    F: xxxxxxxxx M.Roach xxxxxxxx
    FOL: xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx D.Weightman

_RT_ you're up buddy

Pick 43
  • Pick 43 Mervyn Keane

Mervyn played mainly in the back-pocket or as a half-back although he did ruck-rove very successful in Richmond’s last Premiership win. He had the ability to nullify big-name opponents by persisting with close checking and spoiling tactics. He was a very reliable defender who was a strong mark, good kick and a fine team man. He played in an are where Richmond had many big names; however, he could always be relied upon for a consistent performance. He has great poise and it was very rare to see him beaten over four quarters, by an opponent. He nearly finished up playing for Melbourne after coming down from the country, when he joined a group of aspiring footballers he thought were young Richmond hopefuls on a training run. To his horror, he discovered they were Melbourne players when they returned to the MCG rather than Punt Road. This was one of the few times he lost his bearing whilst at Richmond.
    He was slowly eased into senior football with seven of his eight games being as a reserve. He was a member of the 1973, 1974 and 1980 Senior and 1971 Reserves’ Premiership sides and the 1982 Grand Final team, and also represented Victoria on two occasions. He played in 15 Finals’ games for the club and was voted Richmond’s best player in the thrilling 1973 preliminary final victory. In 1982, he won the club’s Most Determined Trophy. A hard track worker Mervyn put in countless hours trying to improve all facets of his game. He was awarded Life Membership of the Richmond Football Club in 1981.

Seasons: 1972-84
    Total Games: 238
    Total Goals: 36

Honours: Premiership 1973-74, 1980, VFL Representative Team Games 2.

Phar Ace is up

Last edited:
    Pick 44
  • Pick 44 - Fred Swift

Freddie Swift has a special place in the history of the Richmond Football Club as the captain of the drought-breaking 1967 premiership team. A bit like Cotchin does! Swift was recruited as a utility player from the Sandhurst Football Club in the Bendigo Football League. He played with their senior team from the time he was seventeen and, at 19, he was the youngest player ever to win the club's best and fairest award. He was finally cleared to the Tigers. He was destined.

Swift played his first senior game for Richmond against South Melbourne in the first round of the 1958 season on the half-forward flank. Richmond unexpectedly beat South Melbourne, and Swift kicked one goal. By mid-April 1958, still nineteen years old, Swift was regarded by Richmond as the "recruit of the year"

He was a highly talented footballer, with great anticipation, and highly polished ball skills, and he was equally at home in the forward line – he kicked 5 goals against Fitzroy in round 18, and, when moved from centre half-back to full-forward, in the last quarter against St Kilda in round 6, 1959, he kicked 3 goals, in a losing side – he could also play wing, centre, or in defence".
    1637716773796.png

His 1967 VFL Grand Final game is worth a read

In his final game, the 1967 Grand Final against Geelong, he not only captained his team to a premiership, but he was one of the best on the ground, somewhat nullifying the impact of the temperamental Geelong hairdresser and champion full-forward, Doug Wade, who was nearly five inches (11 cm) taller and more than two stone heavier, and was widely expected to out-class Swift. Wade, the season's top goal-kicker, who had scored 79 goals during the home-and-away section of the season (including 6 goals against Swift, and Richmond, in round 18), and 8 and 5 goals in the semi-final and preliminary finals against Collingwood and Carlton respectively, was clearly outplayed in the Grand Final, and was held to just 4 goals by Swift.

Although Geelong was the first to score, Richmond was a goal in front by quarter time: 4.3 (27) to 3.3 (21). By half time, Richmond had increased its lead to 16 points: 9.10 (64) to 7.6 (48). Geelong fought back during the third quarter and, at one stage, led by 14 points; however, Richmond counter-attacked and the scores were level. And, then, two rushed behinds right at the end of the quarter, saw Richmond two points ahead at three-quarter time: 12.15 (87) to 13.7 (85).

In one of the most exciting last quarters ever, Richmond was in front, then scores were level, then Geelong was in front, then scores were level, then Richmond was in front, then scores were level; and then it was time on.

Richmond's John Ronaldson kicked a goal (his third for the match) to put Richmond six points ahead, and then a goal from Kevin Bartlett, backing out of the pack, increased Richmond's lead to twelve points. Geelong then ferociously surged back into the game when "Polly" Farmer (playing his last game for Geelong) handpassed the ball to Wayne Closter, who kicked the ball goal-wards towards Wade (Geelong's no.10) somewhere between centre-half forward and full-forward.

An almost exhausted Swift, with great anticipation, leapt high in front of Wade and palmed the ball away to his right from in front of the pack. He raced back towards the goal square, just in time to intercept a kick from Colin Eales and, to add insult to injury, ran across the face of goal, bounced the ball, with Wade in hot pursuit, and calmly passed the ball to John Perry.

Both Tony Polinelli and Bill Ryan kicked poorly, each scoring a behind, placing Geelong ten points behind; and then, with plenty of time for Geelong to get another goal, and breaking out of a pack, Goggin punt-kicked what seemed certain to be a goal (which would have reduced the lead to a dangerous four points).

The tenacious Swift – already greatly tired from having to captain his team, counteract the stronger, heavier, and taller Wade, and kicked the ball back into play after the eight behinds that Geelong had scored up to that moment in the last quarter), single-mindedly concentrating on his task, took one of the finest marks of his career at the Punt Road end of the M.C.G.

With the strong September afternoon sun shining directly into his eyes, without any opposition (with the goal umpire crouching in a perfect position to determine its legality), he first caught the ball perhaps ten feet above the ground (3m), right on the goal line, to turn Geelong away, and retain Richmond's lead of ten points. He played on, and his clearing drop-kick almost hit the centre. Moments later, Polinelli surged up the ground kicked Geelong's ninth behind for the quarter; and, as Polinelli's kick went through, the siren sounded, with Richmond finally winning by nine points 16.18 (114) to 15.15 (105).[42]
    "It's the biggest thrill in my life. It really makes it worth while playing football after today's win. It was close, and at times I thought we might not win. But every player pulled his weight and I have never felt so happy. I'll never forget the thrill of running around the ground holding the premiership cup. It's a thing you dream about – but today it came true." said Swift
    He Captained the Club, Premiership Player and twice represented Victoria.

B: xx F.Swift xx
    C: xx M Rioli Snr xx
    F: xx J.Titus xx
    FOL: M.Green xx R.Dean

Your go tiger_tough

Last edited:
    Pick 46
  • Pick 46 Barry Rowlings - 152 games, 172 goals. Hall of fame member, jack dyer medalist, captain and premiership player.

Team so far -
    B:..XX....A.Rance.....XX
    HB:XX.......XX.........XX
    C:..XX...G.Raines.....XX
    HF:XX....D.Cloke......XX
    FF:XX...J.Riewoldt....XX
    R:.XX.....Sheedy......Rowlings
    I/C:XX....XX....XX....XX

Back to you Phar Ace

Pick 47
  • Pick 47 - Tony Free

Another Richmond Captain - Tough, resolute and extremely physical in his approach to the game, centreman Tony Free was a shining light at Richmond during a generally dire time for the club. A best and fairest winner in 1989 and 1993, he captained the club from 1994 until forced into premature retirement with a knee injury two years later. Between 1987 and 1996 he played 133 V/AFL games and kicked 46 goals.

He started off playing for the Tigers’ under 19s in 1987 and had an instant impact. During an under-19s match against St Kilda that year, he kicked 14 goals in an outstanding display. So impressive was Free in his first year at Tigerland that by the end of the ’87 season he’d forced his way into the senior side.

Free debuted at the game’s highest level in Round 20 against St Kilda at Waverley Park. The following year, under the coaching guidance of five-time Richmond premiership champion Kevin Bartlett, the tough, tenacious utility player established himself as a key, regular member of the Tigers’ main line-up.

He played 21 games in the 1988 season and averaged 18.7 disposals per match playing predominantly through the midfield.

12tonyfree1.jpg

Free continued to flourish throughout 1989, which was just his second full season of league football.

That year, Free was ranked first in the competition for total kicks per game, and he was rewarded for his top-class, consistent efforts with an inaugural Jack Dyer Medal.

Over the next few seasons, Free defiantly flew the flag for the struggling Tigers. With his ball-winning ability, ferocious, competitive spirit and vigorous style of play, he was a shining light at Richmond during dark times, and extremely popular with the Tiger Army.

In 1993, Free won his second Jack Dyer Medal after a season where he averaged an AFL career-high 24.1 disposals per game. It was in the Round 5 match of the ’93 season against North Melbourne at the MCG that Free racked up a career-high 39 disposals, despite the Tigers being beaten by six goals.

A natural leader, Free was officially appointed Richmond’s captain in 1994. Unfortunately, however, what almost certainly would have been a long, distinguished stint as the Tigers’ skipper, didn’t eventuate.

B: xxxxxxx F.Swift xxxxxxx
    HB: xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
    C: xxxxxxx M Rioli Snr xxxx
    HF: xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
    F: xxxxxxx J.Titus xxxxxxx
    FOL: M.Green T.Free R.Dean

Back to you _RT_

Last edited:
    Pick 48
  • Pick 48 - Bill Morris

William “Bill” Morris was a ruckman. He was affectionately known as “Paleface” due to his pallid complexion. He originally started his career with Old Scotch in the Amateur competition; however, he was lured to Richmond after an astute piece of recruiting by Richmond Secretary Maurie Fleming. At the time Bill had played one game with the Melbourne Reserves in 1941; however, the Demons had shown little interest in him. Fleming had seen him play in the Services’ Football Competition and was impressed with what he saw. After a little negotiating, he finished up a Richmond player. Melbourne in return received a player named Colin Galbraith who went on to play four senior games before a knee injury forced him to retire. Bill went on to become a champion.
    He was a very fair player who was well respected even by the Richmond tough men in Dyer and Fraser. His fair play occasionally irked his tougher teammates, especially when he would assist an opponent who had been the victim of a Dyer shirt front. He was a great palmer of the ball, with either hand, to his rovers. As a result, he was able to change hands in order to confuse his opponents. He also possessed a great leap and had the ability to spear himself towards the ball at boundary throw-ins. Tactically, he was a very clever player who often changed the way he approached rucking contests in order to further confuse opponents. He displayed a relaxed approach to the game; however, he possessed great stamina and found no problems in rucking all day. A skilled all-rounder, he was a strong mark, long kick with either foot and possessed fine evasive skills.
    He won the club Best and Fairest award in 1945, 1948 and 1950. He also ran second in 1947 and third in 1946. He captained Richmond in 1950 and 1951, and was awarded Life Membership in 1951. He won the “Brownlow Medal” in 1948; ran equal second in 1946 and equal third in 1950; and represented Victoria 15 times, captaining the state in 1950. He was a member of the 1942 and 1944 Grand Final teams, unfortunately missing the 1943 Premiership win due to military service. His highest individual goal tally with Richmond was 4, which he kicked on seven occasions.

Playing Career: 1942 – 1951
    Games: 140
    Goals: 98
    Best & Fairest: 1945, 1948, 1950
    Brownlow Medal: 1948
    RFC Captain: 1950 – 1951
    Interstate Games: 15
    VIC Captain: 1950
    RFC Life Member 1951
    RFC Team of the Century

B: Branton xxxxxx xxxxxxx
    HB: Keane xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
    C: Bourke xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
    HF: xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
    F: Harris xxxxxx xxxxxx
    R: Morris Dyer xxxxxx
    INT: xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx

peterbuch74

Pick 49
  • PICK 49 - BRENDON GALE
    Time for the chief to step up and fill the CHF spot for my team.

71fcb5229e77fc77f47dda4fa258cdbd

PB74's team
    B: xxxxxxxxx D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
    HB: C.Newman xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
    C: xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
    HF: xxxxxxxxx B.Gale xxxxxxxx
    F: xxxxxxxxx M.Roach xxxxxxxx
    FOL: xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx D.Weightman

richard parker you're up

Pick 51
  • Pick 51- Tom Lynch
    Games- 62
    Goals- 130
    2 x Premierships
    2019 richmond leading goalkicker

Barunga Bullets Team
    HB: bowden Jess xx
    F: xx Lynch xx

Attachments

• 1637808476839.png
      1637808476839.png
      52.8 KB · Views: 42
    Last edited:
    Pick 52
  • Pick 52-Paul Broderick.
    Advanced stats
    ��
    ClubLeagueCareer spanGamesGoalsAvgWin %AKIAHBAMKBV
    FitzroyV/AFL1988-199393800.8642%11.0210.672.8311
    RichmondAFL1994-2001169900.5354%10.019.302.5846
    V/AFL1988-20012621700.6550%10.379.792.6757
    Total1988-20012621700.6550%10.379.792.6757
    AFL: 9,958th player to appear, 199th most games played, 518th most goals kickedFitzroy: 1,062nd player to appear, 124th most games played, 56th most goals kickedRichmond: 967th player to appear, 56th most games played, 83rd most goals kicked

Over two distinct phases off his career, Paul Broderick gave great service as a prolific ball-winner to Fitzroy and then Richmond over 266 games across 14 seasons. His six seasons with Fitzroy yielded 93 games and 80 goals before he was traded to Richmond for Jeff Hogg. The Tigers undoubtedly got the best of that deal as Broderick played a further 169 matches for them, while Hogg could only manage 40 in the Lions' last three seasons. Broderick's best season was 1996, when he won Richmond's best and fairest award.

My team:
    B:xxxx,Balta,xxxxx
    HB:xxxx,xxxx,xxxx
    C:xxxx,Knights,xxxx
    HF:Brown,xxxxx,xxxxx
    F:Bartlett,xxxxx,xxxxx
    Foll:Lee,Broderick,

richoatthedisco your up mate.

Pick 53
  • It's a draft cliché, but I truly cannot believe this guy lasted to our pick.

Bachar Houli.

1637798781117.png

The best half-back-flanker of his generation and the epitome of a Richmond Man, Bachar Houli grew from soft Essington midfielder who couldn't get a game, to soft but highly productive Richmond half-back-flanker, to steely, resolute, game-breaking champion.

Bachar could have been a dual Norm Smith Medallist if not for some bloke called Marty. His performance in the 2017 grand final was a triumph of the will. It turned all doubters into fans, but truth is he'd always been one of our better finals performers. Unrelenting in his courage to run hard with and for the pill, Bachar had to will himself into the courage required to cop physical punishment, which is all the more laudable.

His 2019 grand final was dominant. His consistency across 11 seasons and 206 games for the Tigers was incredible. His courage and selflessness to play through a torn calf in the 2020 grand final was typical of the man and cemented his legend. His demeanour, attitude, love and care for his teammates and the wider world make him one of the most beautiful people to represent our club, his faith and his culture, and all three have been elevated by him.

When we started this draft, Bachar was one of my must-haves, so we're thrilled to welcome him to the Disco family. Don't worry, Bash, I used to drink plenty of water in the clubs too. ;)

Wacky Tiger over to you.

Back