Another US mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

This article provides some more details:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...g/fl-florida-shooting-sro-20180222-story.html

So he was a police officer and not just a resource officer for the school. What the **** is wrong with online news sources these days? I've written more coherent drunken booty calls at 3am than most of the s**t you read on news.com.

Bloke either didn't think he could take the shooter down with a sidearm, or was scared and didn't go in. Either way - what the hell, man? Do something.

Instead of taking it as a sign that more armed people on site will not work, this guy will become a scapegoat.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Instead of taking it as a sign that more armed people on site will not work, this guy will become a scapegoat.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure it's a sign that armed people won't work. It's more a sign that the officer in question failed to do what was needed. Maybe it's optimistic, but I think if you replaced that guy in the same scenario with any of the other 99/100 typical officers, something would have been done. I'd like to think so anyway.

Not sure it's a sign that armed people won't work. It's more a sign that the officer in question failed to do what was needed. Maybe it's optimistic, but I think if you replaced that guy in the same scenario with any of the other 99/100 typical officers, something would have been done. I'd like to think so anyway.
I'd be interested to see what happens at other school shootings. We know what happened in Beslan when parents rocked up with guns.

Assault rifle reasonably accurate to 100m vs pistol barely accurate to 10m. School halls so 10m is probably sufficient.

But... hundreds of kids running scared and finding which one of them is armed without injuring anyone or having someone assume you are the shooter and attack you.

Not at all an issue I guess.

Practically though.

Schools are huge. They'd go into lockdown quickly. You'll have kids running everywhere. And how is a student-teacher rapport supposed to form when one of them is armed?

The odds of a teacher shooting an innocent kid or a kid getting a teacher's gun is far, far greater than a teacher shooting a nut.

This proposal just proves how sick the right is over there, and their bizarrely agreeable accomplices over here.

Assault rifle reasonably accurate to 100m vs pistol barely accurate to 10m. School halls so 10m is probably sufficient.

But... hundreds of kids running scared and finding which one of them is armed without injuring anyone or having someone assume you are the shooter and attack you.

Not at all an issue I guess.
The kid carrying the ******* "assault rifle" is the one to look for.

When someone is shooting up a school full of kids, you don't stand outside for four minutes with nothing but your dick in your hands when you have a firearm. You get in, help in SOME WAY and maybe even find the shooter. Maybe you get to put some rounds down at him and the kid focusses on you and not the hundreds of screaming children. Maybe you have years of policing under your belt (like this guy) and you move tactically through a dense urban environment (a building) like you should, find the bad guy and do SOMETHING. Not just like you're paid to do, but like you should.

But yeah, not at all an issue.

I think you'll be mistaken.

There is a lot of work that needs to go into training someone to kill another. Lots of dehumanising the enemy, lots of team building.

A person indistinguishable from the children you protect would be very real.

When someone is shooting up a school full of kids, you don't stand outside for four minutes with nothing but your dick in your hands when you have a firearm. You get in, help in SOME WAY and maybe even find the shooter. Maybe you get to put some rounds down at him and the kid focusses on you and not the hundreds of screaming children. Maybe you have years of policing under your belt (like this guy) and you move tactically through a dense urban environment (a building) like you should, find the bad guy and do SOMETHING. Not just like you're paid to do, but like you should.

Perhaps he would've gone in if the shooter didn't have an AR-15?

I think you'll be mistaken.

There is a lot of work that needs to go into training someone to kill another. Lots of dehumanising the enemy, lots of team building.

A person indistinguishable from the children you protect would be very real.
Great point.

Teachers are trained in offering care to students well outside school needs.

You're then asking teachers to shoot to kill.

That country is ****ed, so it wouldnt surprise me if it gets up.

This is their last hurrah as a power.

This proposal just proves how sick the right is over there, and their bizarrely agreeable accomplices over here.
When arming teachers fails then they'll be arguing to arm kids.

For American conservatives you can never have too many guns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Survivors guilt is rooted in the perception that we are expected to act against our basis instinct to protect ourselves when others need help.
Not necessarily. Maybe sometimes, but as I understand it, it's usually more associated with people who survive something unexpectedly or arbitrarily when others do not.

Not necessarily. Maybe sometimes, but as I understand it, it's usually more associated with people who survive something unexpectedly or arbitrarily when others do not.
And they ask themselves why, what could they have done, did they do enough etc.

As animals we get spooked by the bang and then our socially trained brain tells us how bad it was for us to get spooked and not charge the danger.

And they ask themselves why, what could they have done, did they do enough etc.

As animals we get spooked by the bang and then our socially trained brain tells us how bad it was for us to get spooked and not charge the danger.
No doubt that officer will be plagued with those questions the rest of his life. Have to admit that part of me is glad.

Maybe you shoot a couple of kids by mistake too.

Cops in numbers dont charge in to dangerous places where they have no idea what they are facing? Why in the hell would we expect one cop to do it?

No doubt that officer will be plagued with those questions the rest of his life. Have to admit that part of me is glad.
Is he not as much a victim?

Be careful not to project the blame for the event onto someone else as if they caused it just because they didn't stop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back