Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure Sarah Williams helped her cause by rushing off to Ben Fordham and Sky to plead her case.
If she didnt then Albos bullshit would be the only version.

Again, harsh to go her for pleading her side when we know Albos gonna have every platform under the sun to plead his.

I'm not sure Sarah Williams helped her cause by rushing off to Ben Fordham and Sky to plead her case.

It's more the platforms she chose to plead her case.
And here's the rub as to why Ms Williams is copping the heat - she spoke to the enemy.

I reckon people listening to Fordham or watching Sky could use a little information about domestic violence. She's an activist and was given a microphone to speak into (2GB's and Sky's) - she took the opportunity.

It's the same reason I don't like the "stop playing politics" attack on elected officials - it's like criticising a carpenter for building a wooden table.

I dont really think shes tried to claim to moral high ground. A woman who has been a victim of DV got publically lashed by the literal most powerful man in Oz for absolutely no reason than him trying to take the moral high ground AND at absolute best for him from a misunderstanding.

I expect alot more of the PM than a rally organiser.

IMO youre being incredibly ******* harsh on her, if shes got some of it wrong or whatever im happy to give her alot more grace than ill give him.

Sunrise asked him 5 seperate times if hed said "im the PM" and he deflected every single time.

I had alot of hope for Albo but frankly hes been a 5% improvement on the standard and s**t like this he could have been accountable and chose to weasel out and throw a young woman under the bus.

If he wants better, he should do better (and i realise youre agreeing with that).

Yeah, I'll accept that and maybe I am being harsh. I guess I'd prefer a collaborative approach rather than a scorched earth one. And yes, I realise that talk is cheap and our politicians have an abysmal record in this area.

there was public support for minimum wage increase though, that was being called for prior to them doing it

there was public support for the voice when they said they were going to do it, and then they did nothing for almost 6 months assuming job done and let that support be eroded

then when they did engage their comms was terrible

but the voice isn't the sort of thing I'm talking about really, more the general how they go about everything

Fair enough mate. Human nature again though, the Voice was a major platform and they botched it. I was just using this an an example as to why they've possibly become pathetic and entirely lacking in the courage to take us forward.

It's not acceptable but there are reasons for it. I suspect had one or two of their big platforms gotten through they would have had the stones to go large on other important stuff.

Last edited:
And here's the rub as to why Ms Williams is copping the hear - she spoke to the enemy.

I reckon people listening to Fordham or watching Sky could use a little information about domestic violence. She's an activist and was given a microphone to speak into (2GB's and Sky's) - she took the opportunity.

It's the same reason I don't like the "stop playing politics" attack on elected officials - it's like criticising a carpenter for building a wooden table.
Both Sky and 2GB are known for their antipathy toward the government and don't pretend otherwise. There are plenty of other means of getting her rebuttal out there and by choosing these two in particular William's left herself open to criticism.

This is what is being disputed, the video does not support this at all, but we see the narrative has taken root thanks to the woman ascribing these motivations to the PM and the media lapping it up. The first part is correct, Albanese lied, he has to address this. But whether deliberately or mistakenly, the woman is spreading a falsehood as well. This is not a 'believe all women' moment because the video shows she was incorrect. If her memory was simply faulty, then correct it. You want to become part of the political discussion, your words will be assessed and accuracy counts.

Articulated much better than some of my ham-fisted efforts. Thanks.:thumbsu:

Yeh read above.

Youre wanting the exact same level of culpability and accountability from a 20 something year old rally organiser as from the PM.

That to me is absolutely insane.

So on that basis is Sarah Williams the person you want organising such rallies? The fact that this has become a "he said, she said" discussion about who lied to whom should tell you that her approach has not been as successful as it could have been. One could say it failed but I suppose there is at least a discussion now so hopefully all is not lost.

For any movement to succeed it usually requires people with credibility at the forefront. Whether it is fair of not, Williams credibility can now be questioned. And that is a shame.

Last edited:
If she didnt then Albos bullshit would be the only version.

Again, harsh to go her for pleading her side when we know Albos gonna have every platform under the sun to plead his.

Come on mate, not even you believe that. Albo was going to get baked regardless of who he told his side of the story to.

Both Sky and 2GB are known for their antipathy toward the government and don't pretend otherwise. There are plenty of other means of getting her rebuttal out there and by choosing these two in particular William's left herself open to criticism.

I firmly believe people should, when given the opportunity, be speaking on a spectrum in the media as widely as possible. Then we might actually start to get away from this toxic silo-ing that is going on in society right now.

Signed - an alternative voice in a specific silo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough mate. Human nature again though, the Voice was a major platform and they botched it. I was just using this an an example as to why they've possibly become pathetic and entirely lacking in the courage to take us forward.

It's not acceptable but there are reasons for it. I suspect had one or two if their big platforms gotten through they would have had the stones to go large on other important stuff.
Start on the important stuff to win more votes. Theyd be amazed how much support they'd win if they actually acted on stuff that matters over feel good stories or just wanting to appear as acting

I firmly believe people should, when given the opportunity, be speaking on a spectrum in the media as widely as possible. Then we might actually start to get away from this toxic silo-ing that is going on in society right now.

Signed - an alternative voice in a specific silo
But you're not really an alternative voice. You just ignore a lot of the realities of our media because it overwhelmingly favours the Liberal Party.

It's not acceptable but there are reasons for it. I suspect had one or two if their big platforms gotten through they would have had the stones to go large on other important stuff.
dont disagree that the voice would make them even more gun shy i just dont think it was the start of this method for them

i dont think its unique to them either

Definitely.

Shock jocks and networked commercial media in Australia should be held to account for their role in stoking the fires of the ever present misogyny in Australia. Not the refuge point for those claiming to be advocates for change.

But more to the point, and what the dozens of recent posts in this thread clearly demonstrate, is that it detracts from the issue of which she and her group are claiming to be representing - domestic violence or more pointedly the sharp spike in deadly violence against women across Australia in recent years.

She has proved to be exactly what she claims to be attacking. A politician, and a common if not a particularly effective one, in that she has let her own personal position and motives become the subject of her advocacy on the very day(s) when the media spotlight was on the issue of the domestic violence epidemic.

The families and friends of those who have been left devastated by the harm done to and loss of the loved girls and women in their lives have every right to be angry at her selfishness.

Reason 10838723781 politics is utter bullshit and these people are never here for the greater good. Will always mystify me people cheer their team

How about do the right ******* thing and the votes will come. Not only do things according to think tanks and guessing where votes may come from aka only chasing the hot issue at the time without ever really doing anything

Needs an overhaul and complete clean out but while morons keep apologising for their team, despite them being no ******* better, no one is better off

in b4 a mod brings up Dutton/Scomo or some bullshit further proving my point
The 2-party system which emphasises negativity (i.e. all we have to do is tear down that mob and we win) is the problem.

It's why I vote for Third (or 4th/5th party and independents).

Albanese's legislation is only as good as what can get passed. And the best way of passing it and ensuring the LNP doesn't tear it down is to get them on board in the first place.

So on that basis is Sarah Williams the person you want organising such rallies? The fact that this has become a "he said, she said" discussion about who lied to whom should tell you that her approach has not been as successful as it could have been. One could say it failed but I suppose there is at least a discussion now so hopefully all is not lost.

For any movement to succeed it usually requires people with credibility at the forefront. Whether it is fair of not, Williams credibility can now be questioned. And that is a shame.

I think a female rally organizer who is in charge of a movement against violence to women should be afforded ALOT more slack with regard to this incident than the PM of the country, yes.

Come on mate, not even you believe that. Albo was going to get baked regardless of who he told his side of the story to.
Firstly i absolutely do believe that, no one has really gone him for this or raised the issue of his male priveleged dismissal of her commentary.

Secondly thats not the point im making, the point im making is Albo has literally every single platform to reach just about every set of eyes in the country. She has much more limited options to try and reach a broad platform. So again, her choosing Fordham and other shock jocks is not only not a surprise its understandable.

Last edited:
Of course the media- both social and mainstream - are focussed on the politics and optics of a public rally on Sunday. What Albo did or didn't say and the need for 'urgent action' rather than words, blah blah blah..

Of course there seems to be very little discussion of the substance of the issue - what can and should be done in a policy sense to curb the rising tide of violence against women, committed mostly by men they know.

A report released by the Australian Institute of Criminology shows that the number of women killed by an intimate partner was rising sharply even before the recent spate of deaths sparked outrage and protests across the country.

The number of women murdered by former or current partners rose by 28 per cent in the year to June 2023 and that 16 per cent of all homicides in 2022/23 were carried out by a current or former intimate partner. Of those, 89 per cent of all victims of intimate partner homicides were women.

Clearly sustainable long term policy changes are needed as well as immediate action on the ground. As with all important policy matters this will not happen by a binary politicking and cheap point scoring narrative led by shock jocks and lightweight TV breakfast programs.

For those interested, this article briefly discusses what's on the agenda for tomorrow's National Cabinet Meeting.

While one is one too many, since 1988/89 last year's number was the 3rd lowest, it has returned to pre-COVID levels.

Since 1988/89 there have been two years in the 70s, six in the 60s, six in the 50s, twelve in the 40s, six in the 30s and two in the 20s (both during COVID).

The source of the figures is the Australian Institute of Criminology.

I wonder why it wasn't a national emergency in 2001/02 when the figure was 75 or 1990/91 when it was 72?

During the first full year of COVID, 2020/21 the rate for women being killed by an intimate partner fell by 27% while the figure for men jumped by 62.5%.

They've extended a coalition payment that doesn't work well or help much and most people that apply don't get it

And they're pushing for Duttons digital ID stuff oh and of course law and order so money for cops and jails

Yeah great effort they must have tried really hard to come up with nothing useful

You've gotta have left already to apply for that payment it doesn't help you get out

Even when my expectations are zero they manage to disappoint

Remove this Banner Ad

Back