Anzac Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not quite tugg, my case was within the context of the thread, when i say tee off im referring to simply shot gunning everything about the day and i stopped short of that
Fair enough. Didn't think it was like you to do that. All good. My bad.

Maybe the season opener should be the two previous grand finalists.

Btw is there a rivarly round this year?

In terms of Anzac day ... nah I say leave it. And leave dreamtime as well.

Maybe the season opener should be the two previous grand finalists.

Btw is there a rivarly round this year?

In terms of Anzac day ... nah I say leave it. And leave dreamtime as well.

Rivallry round was 2 weeks ago apparantely.
Our 'rival' was Melbourne.:eek:
Will stand corrected though.

Off-topic here:
Hmm that makes a little sense because of the two original tenants of the MCG thing, but the only other one would be Carlton Collingwood.

Now that we have the 2 expansion teams rivarly round should be

Brisbane vs Gold Coast
Sydney vs GWS
Adel v Port
Fremantle v WCE
Melbourne Geelong
(You can mix and match Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton)

Then I suppose
Dogs v saints
North v Hawthorn

But my point is at least put the states togther

Re: Is it time to have us play on Anzac Day?

Yes, but only if we agree to give up and rotate the round 1 opening clash with the Blues and the Dreamtime game.

Two points:

We didnt have the Round 1 opening this season. :confused:

And the 'Dreamtime' match was conceived from the amalgamation of the Richmond & Essendon Football Club colours symbolic of the indigenous flag colours - yellow, black & red. Having 2 other clubs take over the 'Dreamtime' match just wouldnt be the same.

Nah leave it with essendon and collingwood. They built it up to what it is today and its great. The Afl would never just rotate it between the big four anyway

Two points:

We didnt have the Round 1 opening this season. :confused:

And the 'Dreamtime' match was conceived from the amalgamation of the Richmond & Essendon Football Club colours symbolic of the indigenous flag colours - yellow, black & red. Having 2 other clubs take over the 'Dreamtime' match just wouldnt be the same.

Moot point. Vlad said this year was a one off, and no one cared with minimal build up. Roll on to the following week the papers were chocka, anticipation was huge and everyone was saying this was the real start.

dunno why you would think that tugga, no derby/clashes/showdowns.

rivalry round doesn't work because North/dogs/saints don't really have a 'rival'. melbourne have collingwood, kind of, but that screws up an richmond/pies/dons/blues matchup.

dunno why you would think that tugga, no derby/clashes/showdowns.

rivalry round doesn't work because North/dogs/saints don't really have a 'rival'. melbourne have collingwood, kind of, but that screws up an richmond/pies/dons/blues matchup.

There's no such thing as a rivalry round. Like everything about the AFL these days, you can't fit the big 4 into 18.
Anyway, I think I may have been wrong. You would think Port-Crows and Eagles-Dockers wold have been in rivalray round.

Nah leave it with essendon and collingwood. They built it up to what it is today and its great. The Afl would never just rotate it between the big four anyway

okay enough of this people its anzac day. im with tugga its a day of contemplation and who plays in it does not matter. i know that contadicts what i said earlier but it would be nice if we could share it around.

but to the real thing. anzac day very important day for my family though we are now all getting old.

my wife and i spent a big part of today on the computer after a very moving dawn service.

i have a family tree with a fair bit of military history in it. my dad got shot in new guinea his brother was killed in the middle east. my great uncles fought in france in ww1 one lost his life the other came home minus a leg an arm and partially blind. in vietanam both my brother and my brother in law went the outlaw also getting shot.

today we continued a search for my great uncles grave and on this day of days we found it i have to say i cried. my goal is now to go to france and pay homage to this man my blood and my family. god knows the hell he and thousands like him went thru.

tugga you have it right while anzac day footy would be graet to share around. footy on this day is very much an insignificant thing. on this occasion im happy to bear my soul and some advice to all australians similar to what my dad gave to me. never go to war but not at any cost. sometimes you do have to draw a line in the sand and i pray you never have to draw that line. always the last resort, well along those lines anyway. my dad was fierce and would fight for what was right but somehow at the same time he was a conciencous objector and was strongly against man doing the worst he can against his fellow man.
we enjoy many priviledges and freedoms we should never forget they come at a cost.
i have to say ive been trying to find out

okay enough of this people its anzac day. im with tugga its a day of contemplation and who plays in it does not matter. i know that contadicts what i said earlier but it would be nice if we could share it around.

but to the real thing. anzac day very important day for my family though we are now all getting old.

my wife and i spent a big part of today on the computer after a very moving dawn service.

i have a family tree with a fair bit of military history in it. my dad got shot in new guinea his brother was killed in the middle east. my great uncles fought in france in ww1 one lost his life the other came home minus a leg an arm and partially blind. in vietanam both my brother and my brother in law went the outlaw also getting shot.

today we continued a search for my great uncles grave and on this day of days we found it i have to say i cried. my goal is now to go to france and pay homage to this man my blood and my family. god knows the hell he and thousands like him went thru.

tugga you have it right while anzac day footy would be graet to share around. footy on this day is very much an insignificant thing. on this occasion im happy to bear my soul and some advice to all australians similar to what my dad gave to me. never go to war but not at any cost. sometimes you do have to draw a line in the sand and i pray you never have to draw that line. always the last resort, well along those lines anyway. my dad was fierce and would fight for what was right but somehow at the same time he was a conciencous objector and was strongly against man doing the worst he can against his fellow man.
we enjoy many priviledges and freedoms we should never forget they come at a cost.

moving piece mate- gods speed with your journey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to know a little bit about santa the person.:thumbsu:
I must say it all changed for me, when like most young AUssies, I went to the UK to live and work on a 2-year wrking visa in 1993 as a 23 year old.
During that time, Anzac Day was not a bit event. It was starting to gain prominence but it wasn't the big event it is now.
Myself and three Kiwi guys who were staying at the same hostel that I was in Istanbul (tis was during a big tour backpacking arounf Europe) decied to hirea taxi for the day and tour the Gallipolli battlefields.
When we stood there and read the tribute that Ataturk had erected as a memorial to the Johnnies (our diggers) from the Mehmets (the Turkish soldiers), we stood there and without a hnt of embarrassment, cried our hearts out. These three guys were bg guys. Big rugy players. No egos at that moment. Here's what Ataturk, the Turkish national hero, had erected at Anzac Cove:

Heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives! You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

PS: sorry about the selling. I hate typing on my iPad.

Nice to know a little bit about santa the person.:thumbsu:
I must say it all changed for me, when like most young AUssies, I went to the UK to live and work on a 2-year wrking visa in 1993 as a 23 year old.
During that time, Anzac Day was not a bit event. It was starting to gain prominence but it wasn't the big event it is now.
Myself and three Kiwi guys who were staying at the same hostel that I was in Istanbul (tis was during a big tour backpacking arounf Europe) decied to hirea taxi for the day and tour the Gallipolli battlefields.
When we stood there and read the tribute that Ataturk had erected as a memorial to the Johnnies (our diggers) from the Mehmets (the Turkish soldiers), we stood there and without a hnt of embarrassment, cried our hearts out. These three guys were bg guys. Big rugy players. No egos at that moment. Here's what Ataturk, the Turkish national hero, had erected at Anzac Cove:

Heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives! You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

PS: sorry about the selling. I hate typing on my iPad.
Having been to ANZAC Cove, and stood in front of it myself tugga, I know exactly what you and your mates were feeling. Hope that one day I can take my kids and show them what I and my now wife and their Mum saw back in 2005.

Yeah good post santa. And i agree. When you think about anzac day... football should not the be what comes to your mind. Its a sideshow. I also have an urge to visit france and the western front, see where my grandfather fought. Would be a great thing.

I went to Anzac Cove last year, it was an amazing experience. Life changing really.

I like the footy on Anzac Day, generally I think the footy has helped promote awareness of the day in a pretty good way and I like the tradition of having Essendon, Collingwood every year.

Having been to ANZAC Cove, and stood in front of it myself tugga, I know exactly what you and your mates were feeling. Hope that one day I can take my kids and show them what I and my now wife and their Mum saw back in 2005.
Mate, I tear up just reading it back now.
The thing I wish we would do more of on Anzac Day, is not just honour our fallen soldiers, but also the fallen soldiers of our enemies. Forgiveness is what makes us human.
You would know first hand what wonderful people the Turks are. They took no pleasure in doing what they did. It truly is a wonderful country with beautiful people.

The thing I wish we would do more of on Anzac Day, is not just honour our fallen soldiers, but also the fallen soldiers of our enemies. Forgiveness is what makes us human.
You would know first hand what wonderful people the Turks are. They took no pleasure in doing what they did. It truly is a wonderful country with beautiful people.

they are enemies no more tugg, Australia is a great example of multi culturalism however ....Id caution going as far as having a rememberance for the Nazis or the Jap[anese, many would find it offensive and a poor shot at political correctness

Hi Tugga great sentinments there.

I thought you would like to know in perth every year in the ANZAC day march, they have a Turkish contingent marches every year.

And the Fremantle football club have every year at there Len Hall football game,invited these Turkish marches along with the normal serviceman invited to the game.

I honestly think people dont give Fremantle football club enough credit, there tribute to ANZAC day through the Len Hall game is the best of any sporting organisation in the country.

They honestly deserve the ANZAC day night game spot because of the way they pay respect to ANZAC's.

Having been to Gallipoli and visited my great grandfathers grave, ANZAC day means everything to me, and as much as I dislike Freo there tribute is very good.

NO NO NO I completely disagree.

Collingwood and the Dons came up with the idea and I like the tradition and rivalry built between the two teams.

If anything we should do an Anzac Day night game against the hawks or something but I would just leave the day how it is.

Rubbish.

I went to Anzac Day games as a kid that Richmond played in at the 'G'.
Collingwood and Essendon DID NOT INVENT Anzac Day.
Collingwood and Essendon WEREN'T THE FIRST to play an Anzac Day at the 'G'.

Today's game was no reason to keep it.
Two Under 9's Teams in those conditions could have had a close game.
Collingwood have won 6 of the past 7 games. That's really exciting!! :rolleyes:

All you Richmond people that want to continue to give Collingwood and Essendon a monopoly of this game on the 'G' on Anzac Day just remember, your heroes like Cotchy, Lids, Dusty & Jack etc, etc WILL NEVER WIN an *Anzac Day Medal in their entire career! Why? Because they are discriminated from doing so. And the Anzac Day Trophy WILL NEVER have the Richmond Football Club's name on it OR be in the AFL's history books for this game. And the Trophy will never grace Punt Road. That's a disgrace and makes me sick.

Go on, shrug your shoulders, say Essendon and Collingwood own the day and you don't care. You're apathy pushes OUR club further behind the two clubs that have hijacked this day. Your reasoning is illogical and only hurts our great club.

Anzac Day should be a day of inclusive Remberance.
Instead the AFL uses this day to discriminate against other clubs.

*AND HERE ARE JUST SOME OTHER NOTABLE PLAYERS WHO WILL PLAY THEIR ENTIRE CAREER WITHOUT A CHANCE TO WIN 'THE ANZAC DAY MEDAL'.
Gary Ablett Jnr
Jimmy Bartel
Matthew Boyd
Jonathan Brown
Corey Enright
Nick Dal Santo
Lance Franklin
Brendon Goddard
Adam Goodes
Jack Grimes
Brent Harvey
Luke Hodge
Steve Johnson
Chris Judd
Sam Mitchell
Leigh Montagna
Nick Riewoldt
Cyril Rioli
Joel Selwood
Andrew Swallow
Nathan Van Berlo
Daniel Wells
Jack Ziebell
Stephen Milne
Simon Black
Patrick Dangerfield
Mark Murphy
Brad Sewell
Matthew Kreuzer

Etc, etc.

Now that's Bulldust. Now that's discrimination.

And some more reading...
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubs-clamour-to-end-the-anzac-day-duopoly-20120423-1xhd0.html

they are enemies no more tugg, Australia is a great example of multi culturalism however ....Id caution going as far as having a rememberance for the Nazis or the Jap[anese, many would find it offensive and a poor shot at political correctness

but should we blame the Japanese or German soldiers for just doing what they were told to do? Many, Like the Turkish fighters at gallipolli and the Germans on the western front had little say whether they would fight or not. not all would have agreed with the Nazi Ideals.....

Some of the best documentries on world wars are ones about the 'enemy' and how they coped with the war. its refreshing to occasionally hear the story of Gallipolli told from The turkish and Ataturks POV, really puts it in perspective about the pointlessness of war.

Rubbish.

I went to Anzac Day games as a kid that Richmond played in at the 'G'.
Collingwood and Essendon DID NOT INVENT Anzac Day.
Collingwood and Essendon WEREN'T THE FIRST to play an Anzac Day at the 'G'.

Today's game was no reason to keep it.
Two Under 9's Teams in those conditions could have had a close game.
Collingwood have won 6 of the past 7 games. That's really exciting!! :rolleyes:

All you Richmond people that want to continue to give Collingwood and Essendon a monopoly of this game on the 'G' on Anzac Day just remember, your heroes like Cotchy, Lids, Dusty & Jack etc, etc WILL NEVER WIN an *Anzac Day Medal in their entire career! Why? Because they are discriminated from doing so. And the Anzac Day Trophy WILL NEVER have the Richmond Football Club's name on it OR be in the AFL's history books for this game. And the Trophy will never grace Punt Road. That's a disgrace and makes me sick.

Go on, shrug your shoulders, say Essendon and Collingwood own the day and you don't care. You're apathy pushes OUR club further behind the two clubs that have hijacked this day. Your reasoning is illogical and only hurts our great club.

Anzac Day should be a day of inclusive Remberance.
Instead the AFL uses this day to discriminate against other clubs.

*AND HERE ARE JUST SOME OTHER NOTABLE PLAYERS WHO WILL PLAY THEIR ENTIRE CAREER WITHOUT A CHANCE TO WIN 'THE ANZAC DAY MEDAL'.
Gary Ablett Jnr
Jimmy Bartel
Matthew Boyd
Jonathan Brown
Corey Enright
Nick Dal Santo
Lance Franklin
Brendon Goddard
Adam Goodes
Jack Grimes
Brent Harvey
Luke Hodge
Steve Johnson
Chris Judd
Sam Mitchell
Leigh Montagna
Nick Riewoldt
Cyril Rioli
Joel Selwood
Andrew Swallow
Nathan Van Berlo
Daniel Wells
Jack Ziebell
Stephen Milne
Simon Black
Patrick Dangerfield
Mark Murphy
Brad Sewell
Matthew Kreuzer

Etc, etc.

Now that's Bulldust. Now that's discrimination.

And some more reading...
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubs-clamour-to-end-the-anzac-day-duopoly-20120423-1xhd0.html
Richmond will never have a chance of winning the Richard Pratt cup either. is that fair? People put too much stock in winning an anzac day medal, its the stupidest reason to take the game away from them.

Richmond will never have a chance of winning the Richard Pratt cup either. is that fair? People put too much stock in winning an anzac day medal, its the stupidest reason to take the game away from them.

What an unintelligent thing to stay.

Tell me when Australia has a national day of Remembrance for Richard Pratt's sacrifice in all Australia's war involvements which is also monopolized by only TWO AFL Teams? *think music*

There are many reasons why Essendon and Collingwood shouldn't have Anzac Day solely to themselves like this year. Major one is that it excludes all other teams as I have pointed out before. Take away the medals, and Richmond and the other clubs still can't participate.

My grandfather fought in WWII and was an Anzac.
He fought for a free Australia so you can rank Richard Pratt's commercial achievements up with those of our serving and fallen military

but should we blame the Japanese or German soldiers for just doing what they were told to do? Many, Like the Turkish fighters at gallipolli and the Germans on the western front had little say whether they would fight or not. not all would have agreed with the Nazi Ideals.....

Some of the best documentries on world wars are ones about the 'enemy' and how they coped with the war. its refreshing to occasionally hear the story of Gallipolli told from The turkish and Ataturks POV, really puts it in perspective about the pointlessness of war.

The nazis and japanese committed atrocities during wartime, bombed darwin, pearl harbour, the genocide of the jews, treatment of Aust POW do we pay tribute to them on a day of rememberence, i dont think so....Both of those countries fail to do so themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back