Not open for further replies.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
5 minutes into the West Coast v Dogs game, people around the bar were already growining that it was going to be a blowout victory to the Eagles. No one expected the dogs to win the game.

Round 23 they lost to Fremantle and were $67 odds to win the flag.

5 weeks later they were premiers.

WTF happened?

In that 5 weeks they had some amazing form. But is it possible they just had an amazing 5 weeks of footy? In 5 weeks we went from completel writing them off to hailing a new dynasty.

Now let’s compare West Coast. Yes I am a fan but this is just for experimental purposes.

In August. Eagles beat Hawks. Giants away and Adelaide away. Eagles were a higher favourite to win the flag than the dogs then. If this month of footy was played a month later who knows?

Did the dogs just have a great month? Or are they the genuine real deal?

Is there anyone out there that thinks Bulldogs will slip a little as other teams quickly adapt?

Personally I have a feeling they will.

The fact that they had a great month proves they are the genuine real deal.

The fact that the Eagles couldn't beat them at home proves that West Coast aren't. You could have played finals at any time and it wouldn't have mattered - they had another gear for finals, your pedestrian midfield didn't.

They were playing some seriously good football earlier in the year and people were wondering whether they could go all the way. I watched them absolutely brutalise a near fully-fit Freo and thought "this team has it". Then they collapsed around mid season as injuries accumulated and people wrote them off.

But I actually think they're as good, if not better than what we saw of them in 2016.

Yes it was a massive month that wasn't reflective of how they ended the home and away season. But the fact that they were capable of turning in a month that good was incredible in itself. Not many teams have that in them.
I reckon the form you show at the end of one year can be a good pointer to how you start the next. Because of this I think the Saints will have a good year in 2017 as well.

:rolleyes: In answer to the OP, I dont know.
It will be harder next year but a lot of their key players are young and should get better.
People draw comparisons to Hawks of 2008. But they had lost Croad to injury and a shocker of a pre season generally with injuries.
It's the intangible, how much was will and can they repeat that effort, how much was the undoubted skill and training. Can other teams copy their tactics without their players?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overrated? Last years premiers and are second favourites for the flag this year. Player wise they'll only get better given who they have coming back and recruits. Personally though I see them as the best bet for the flag given they will also add confidence to their sklillset but they won't have longevity like cats and hawks who sustained it through selfishness and even though the Boyd trade is an undeniable success because it helped give them the ultimate goal, it doesn't allow for that culture of players staying for success as you need everyone to do it and that's already gone.

If the reigning premiers are overrated, God help the other 17 teams. Maybe they should try a different sport (interestingly Jack Darling tried Duck, Duck, Goose, and Jeremy Cameron, Kurt Tippett and Gary Rohan all had a go at Hide and Seek during last year's finals).

WTF happened?

In that 5 weeks they had some amazing form. But is it possible they just had an amazing 5 weeks of footy? In 5 weeks we went from completel writing them off to hailing a new dynasty.

Hawthorn 2015 - 19 wins, 7 losses
Bulldogs 2016 -19 wins, 7 losses

Dogs also tied with Sydney for the best winning percentage in 2016 ... is it possible the Dogs are actually a good team???

They will be right up there again and will be shocked if they aren't, I have a feeling they will make the GF again. Will finish higher than 7th and will get some home finals which will be advantageous although they can win away. Overrated? No. Until teams come out and fight like they do then they'll win. Simple.

I backed them to win the WC final by between 40-60 points @40s, $67 for the flag at that stage does sound suss.
I rarely bet on football, last bet I have was on the Hawks v Freo in 2015 at the 40 point line. They showed more fight than I expected. I'ĺl be guided by others.

If the reigning premiers are overrated, God help the other 17 teams. Maybe they should try a different sport (interestingly Jack Darling tried Duck, Duck, Goose, and Jeremy Cameron, Kurt Tippett and Gary Rohan all had a go at Hide and Seek during last year's finals).
Cant speak for the other 16 teams but we're ok tks, amd entirely comfortable with AFL. Maybe others would appreciate your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back