Are You A Cheer Squad Member & Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would probably crawl through knee deep vomit rather than join, but I admit I feel vaguely glad they're there. They cue me to celebrate a goal which I couldn't decipher whether it went through or not. That's nice. It's more then the freaking paid commentary achieve some days. I wish they would maybe pay some attention to who is playing in the actual game before rocking up to waive a giant head of a guy whose just been dropped but I guess that's not a crime.

Actually I always had the weird feeling that it was just our cheer squad that gave off a sheltered workshop vibe, but I'm sensing from this thread that the issue goes deeper than that.

Actually I really shouldn't be commenting here given that my contribution to footy is a high post count here plus spending a slow working day writing a story about Matt Jones and Chris Dawes on a space ship :oops:

The Demons' cheer squad have that pimped out hypno toad thing going on which is different I guess...

Someone has to do it I guess?? I would feel ridiculous though if I'm trying to gee up the baby boomers at Subi and they just keep sitting there doing their knitting, booing or napping.

Jesus there are some negative dickheads on this site, how crap would the atmosphere of games be if they didn't exist?

If it was up to big footy, people would just sit quietly and applaud goals sensibly. I'm not a cheersquad member myself but wouldn't s**t on somebody in a different walk of life doing something that inevitably makes the AFL experience a bit better.

Love the cheer squads, it adds to the experience of the game - I love going to the footy, I get a hotdog or a pie, a bottle of cool drink and sit in shitty uncomfy seats and enjoy watching the cheer squads in their peacockery try and out do each other.

Even if a game is a write-off the cheer squad stays until the final siren, which is more than I can say than the majority of fans at games I've been too.

Also, the "Hurr Hurr dey mus hav mentul ishues becoz dey suport beta den me" mentality I've seen in this thread is disgusting - every club would be better if fans would be as passionate as their cheer squads.

Narcissists putting cheer squads down,disgusting.

I am not in the cheer squad but the work they put into the club and the love they have of the club is second to none.

Always positive,always passionate.

I'll defend its right to exist to the hilt, but as an adult, I don't really find very much appeal in the arts and crafts, compulsive obsessive kind of club support they tend to go in for. I guess it seems amazing when you're a kid, which but I don't quite understand what adults get from it.

I'm glad they have a good time, and there are some harsh stereotypes, but lets not pretend they don't have a higher proportion of people who, by choice or not, don't have anything better to fill their lives with.

was part of the cheer squad for the crows for a few years. was one of the few victorian cheer squad members. got to go onto the ground once and hold the banner up which was pretty cool

apart from that, i found it a bit too clicky for my liking. also, i was never very good at knitting and my apricot slice was terrible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My partner got me into the Cheer Squad, I don't mind it. I clap and cheer when required and wave around flags. You get to know the people around you which has its advantages. And contrary to the common view regarding intelligence (of which I will neither confirm nor deny), my partner is studying their PhD while I am about to complete my Masters.

Surely for some it would just be a social thing for them with like minded people which is pretty healthy. In most organised social scenarios there tends to be a level of status. If you don't have too many friends (like a creep like me) or at least ones that didn't like the footy it would be a good way to meet people. I don't really get the correlation between IQ and being a member. Plenty of DH's in non cheer squad areas.

Last edited:
I would probably crawl through knee deep vomit rather than join, but I admit I feel vaguely glad they're there. They cue me to celebrate a goal which I couldn't decipher whether it went through or not. That's nice. It's more then the freaking paid commentary achieve some days. I wish they would maybe pay some attention to who is playing in the actual game before rocking up to waive a giant head of a guy whose just been dropped but I guess that's not a crime.

Actually I always had the weird feeling that it was just our cheer squad that gave off a sheltered workshop vibe, but I'm sensing from this thread that the issue goes deeper than that.

Actually I really shouldn't be commenting here given that my contribution to footy is a high post count here plus spending a slow working day writing a story about Matt Jones and Chris Dawes on a space ship :oops:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

The Dogs cheer squad used to be run by this massively overweight dude who went to every home and away game for countless years until he got accused of embezzling cheer squad funds.

Used to sell highly marked up Mars bars at the games to fund his away games.

1111681_Large.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back