News Assistant coach changes for 2018... BUMPED p42, now discussing potential 2019 promotions to other clubs

How do you rate our assistant coaching changes for 2018?

• 5. Outstanding

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 4. Very good

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • 3. Good (we could have done worse)

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • 2. Fair (we could have done better)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 1. Poor

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I like that we've spilt the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've split the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

- the club should have figured it out and dealt with the leaker about 1 month after it first started
It seems only at board level could that have happened. And we know it took 10 year for any action to take place. As Ed probably in the know.

10 years - nothing too urgent then?
Seems that way, it took a review into operations to get him out.
And walsh’s Return to the club

I'm guessing Walsh agreed to return knowing Pert was on his last legs - didn't Walsh leave the first time because Pert was interfering? Or am I mixed up with Balme? Walsh? Balme? Walsh?
Nope you have it correct.

So what the general feeling now the coaching team is completed ?

Collingwood's AFL coaching panel for 2018
Nathan Buckley – Senior Coach
Robert Harvey – Assistant Coach midfield and transition
Garry Hocking – Assistant Coach stoppages
Justin Longmuir – Assistant Coach backline and team defence
Brenton Sanderson – Assistant Coach forward line and ball movement

Excited ? Its good ? So so ? Could have been worse ?

Can we set up a poll ?

I'm guessing Walsh agreed to return knowing Pert was on his last legs - didn't Walsh leave the first time because Pert was interfering? Or am I mixed up with Balme? Walsh? Balme? Walsh?
Better informed people than me have said that is the case, and the actions so far have supported their info, with the first part of your post.
And they have proven correct in this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah nothing like that just there were no leaks about whiskers joining us. usually someone has mail but nothing this time. that's a good thing imo.
No Pert no leaks

Can someone explain succinctly in plain English the difference between "transition" and "ball movement"? Assume you are explaining to a 1st year apprentice who left school at 15 with very average marks :)

Edit - and should these 2 be managed / taught by different coaches?

I think the ball movement must be how it's delivered/comes to into our forwards

So basically Sando must sit in on our midfield meetings and say "okay so when u get the ball just bomb it as hard and long as you can to a contest where we are clearly outnumbered and hope for the best"

Very happy with the Hocking appointment.

However I'm still bemused as to these two names…

Robert Harvey- midfield and transition coach.
Brenton Sanderson- forward line and ball movement.

We have sucked at these two areas for some time now yet we make no changes to rectify this problem.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again knowing what the outcome will be.
Robert Harvey in particular has been here too long and it isn't getting better.

Sanderson really needs to get it together next season too because I can't see anything that resembles a forward line when nobody is ever inside 50 to kick too or when the ball movemebr as a whole is slow, laborious and down the line too safe- risk free and no excitement.
Harvey was the backline coach this year, which improved substantially compared to previous years.

So what the general feeling now the coaching team is completed ?

Collingwood's AFL coaching panel for 2018
Nathan Buckley
– Senior Coach
Robert Harvey – Assistant Coach midfield and transition
Garry Hocking – Assistant Coach stoppages
Justin Longmuir – Assistant Coach backline and team defence
Brenton Sanderson – Assistant Coach forward line and ball movement

Excited ? Its good ? So so ? Could have been worse ?

Can we set up a poll ?
Done

Can someone explain succinctly in plain English the difference between "transition" and "ball movement"? Assume you are explaining to a 1st year apprentice who left school at 15 with very average marks :)

Edit - and should these 2 be managed / taught by different coaches?

I think transition is more on the defensive side (or at least a combination of both): When we turn the ball over how do we make sure our players can get back into defensive positions quickly enough whilst keeping some sort of defensive structure - it really has been a glaring failure recently.
And it probably also includes the vice-versa: when we get the intercept how are our players pushing forward.
I reckon its all about the off-the-ball movement.

Back