Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping my thoughts simple - the good -

• the crowd (well done to the vocal Roo supporters, pretty sure any year we get over 45k the usual BS story from Kornes & Co on us losing the date will not get much airtime)
  • George - it's love.
  • Powell - I feel like I missed the moment he entered our top 5 but I'm loving his arrival
  • Lazzaro - sure some errors but I think we saw today what we wanted to see a year ago. Maybe some hope he will become an established player.
  • While Pink was demolished, he showed glimpses of getting the hang of things.
  • some agro from Larkey
  • Time for Ford to have a proper run
  • Curtis continuing to build on his x factor
  • Harry as always

The bad -
  • CCJ - another tall w the same injury. Also glass half full or empty on this one but as expected we appeared more dangerous with him off the ground
  • Zurhaar - mate time to peel off a few of your tickets and show us the value you think you have. Holding off talks is a double edged sword.
  • The 25+ crew - depressing.

But most of all, I'd like to know what the club's strategy is this year for our defence. On paper and now in practice we are scarcely at VFL level. Logue is all but out of the picture. Comben is injury prone, Corr struggles against anyone who has full use of their limbs. Pink is a greenhorn...what am I missing? If we lose a game by 20 goals this season I will not be surprised. We need an extra body down there asap and i have nfi who that is. If this dire state of affairs doesn't rest on the list management team, then who is it on? We cannot blame it on misfortune when the cupboard is bare in the first place.

Is anyone else struggling lately to enjoy footy even as a spectacle anymore?
The constant rule changes every year tweaking s**t endlessly have made the already terrible umpires be at a standard as low as I can recall..
Any semblance of enjoyment I used to get from football as a sport is drying up more every year. I barely bother with neutral game unless it’s finals, I used to watch at least a couple of non north games every week.
Of course following North lately hasn’t helped the enjoyment but games like today demonstrating blatant corruption make me question if this sport even is fun to watch on any level.
Someone told me today that the straight arm ruck rule is gone this year. I think that's a great example of how the AFL screws up it's rule administration. Did it's introduction lead to a big improvement in the game? Not at all. Was it fine once you got used to it? I guess so, whatever. Is it exasperating that it took ~two years to get used to what was a borderline tech foul and then see it deleted because reasons? Absafreakinglutely.

Also learnt today that the stand rule extends to not being able to run forward of the mark. Sometimes you're playing statues, other times you're not. Based on what - the vibe? Smh.

Last edited:

The amount of fumbling, missed handballs, slipping and slowness around stoppages and packs hurt us badly today. We have to get better at playing on Marvel's slippery indoor surface. Arden St is nothing like it but it's no excuse - we have to be far sharper.

Today I saw;
Paul Curtis kick a great goal.
George Wardlaw’s manic attack on the man and the ball.
Harry Sheezel do things only Harry Sheezel can do.
Tom Powell & Tristan Xerri continue to improve.
Eddie Ford make the most of the opportunity being subbed on early.
That’s what I’m taking from today.

2nd week in a row Fisher has ****ed up by running himself into trouble from a kick out.

Hemmed himself in and then completely f***ed up a switch.

Asburdly bad pieces of play from him today.

He's one of atleast 3 defenders we are running that don't defend.

I’ve been off Voss the second he arrogantly said he had ‘no interest’ in coaching North even though he was after a Senior Coaching gig. Cant f&&)ing wait until this turns around!
In fairness to Vossy it was a good call.

We need to replace the following if are wanting to play finals on the foreseeable horizon:

• Stephenson (an actual pressure crumbing forward)
  • Stephens (another wing that runs both ways)
  • Tucker (a running utility)
  • McDonald (Hardeman)
  • Fisher (a running halfback that can actually defend)
  • Pink (w. Dawson)

Perhaps I watch a different game to everyone else today, but I am actually not too disappointed by what I saw, despite the final margin

Unlike the last 2 to 3 years, when teams have got on top of us, they have absolutely blown us away. There was a different feel to things today. The boys did not capitulate like they have in recent times, but instead they kept fighting on. They showed real endeavour right throughout and I came away thinking we are on the right track.

Bear in mind today they copped it badly from the umpires. The free kick differential was around 12 and to top it off, Carlton received 6, yes 6, 50 metre penalties, some of which resulted in easy goals that otherwise would not have happened.

The AFL has a huge problem with the standard of umpiring. It gets worse every year and they do nothing about if.

Today I saw;
Paul Curtis kick a great goal.
George Wardlaw’s manic attack on the man and the ball.
Harry Sheezel do things only Harry Sheezel can do.
Tom Powell & Tristan Xerri continue to improve.
Eddie Ford make the most of the opportunity being subbed on early.
That’s what I’m taking from today.
If only our senior players led the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game and I know the commentators won’t call out any anti afl s**t but did any of them say anything about the free kicks

This sport is bordering on a soap opera with all the manufactured BS.
Our senior players need a bell in the ball - * me
It’s football ffs - see ball get ball.
Apparently Dermie said on the radio that one particular umpire gave 9 free kicks against us in a row, some very questionable ones too. He stopped short of saying he was cheating but did say it should be looked into. I didn't hear it but one of my family members (Eagle supporter) did.

The issue we’ve had with recruiting players from other clubs is the good players have to want to come. And they haven’t thus far. We haven’t exactly been a destination club. Hopefully that changes with the optimism around our young players and hopefully some wins!! For the love of god, give us some wins!
You know if I'm totally honest with Myself, in my heart I feel that we've inadvertently missed the boat by being so shite when the internet/24/7 coverage/social media etc took off over the last 20 years. We will never catch up to the levels the 'bigger' clubs are at in terms of providing exposure etc. that players now seriously consider as it can generate them so much extra cash.

If overall media coverage and social media timed its run with our team in the 90's it would potentially be a totally different story.

I can never see a 100% bonafide gun joining us as a FA or any other way.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well it seems there are some very big personal issues happening at the Lions and of course this is the week it will be talked about and they will mount a comeback
This is the second comment regarding some player discontent at the Lions. What happened in Vegas?

Umpires were putrid. Enough said about that.

LDU, JY, LMAC, Zurhar, fisher, Tucker, Sleevo, Larkey, corr annd pink were the senior core we fielded today.

10 blokes.

Today they combined for 18 tackles (10 of them to Zurhar and Lmac). The 8 others averaged a tackle each.

That’s pathetic. That’s unaccountable and downright soft.

X, George, harry and Curtis combined for 23 tackles.

Our problem isn’t northball. Our problem is pressure. We refuse to put any on other than the young blokes.
That is damning! I'd hoped we'd removed all the rotten fruit tainted by years of mediocre effort, but this season shows me we have some way to go still.

A lot of our players were visibly getting angry at the umpiring also.
A couple of my personal favourites happen to be;

Carlton player ducks his head, runs straight at Sheez head first and ploughs straight into his abdomen like a raging bull. Not only did the Carlton player duck his head, Sheez (somehow incredibly) tackled him around the elbows/triceps area and went nowhere near his head or neck area.. umpires call: HEAD HIGH TACKLE = free kick on goal.

Larkey and McKay nominate ruck in Carlton forward line. Ball gets tossed up and Larkey looks for body contact as McKay caught out of position. As McKay hits Larkey's body and they contest the ball.. umpires call: BLOCKING THE OPPOSING RUCKMAN = free kick on goal.

Both our players (rightfully so and uncharacteristically) went spare on the maggots.

Absolutely ******* disgraceful!!!!

In my 40 odd years of watching North I reckon that is the worst backline we have ever put on the park.

Forward line only marginally better.

And the midfield group, although everyone keeps talking them up, we’ve just seen them overpowered by a stronger, bigger and taller opposition.

And watching the reserves today there isn’t much in the way of backup as Phillips certainly ain’t it.

Our ruck stocks consist of Xerri, Free (who will be delisted) and an 18 year old stick.

CCJ now out for the year which will likely finish his career with North.

Stephenson should also have his contract terminated. Guy is a front running cat.

Yes there are positives but still a hell of a lot of holes to fill.

This is the second comment regarding some player discontent at the Lions. What happened in Vegas?

Stays in Vegas.

Unless you upload it to the cloud and everyone at home knows what you’re getting up to.

One more point: in modern footy the “midfield” is essentially every player on the ground who isn’t on the last line forward/defense. We need to look critically at every player, well beyond the blokes who line up at the center bounces.
Good point. We don't have any flankers bar Bailey who actually willingly apply pressure on the ball carrier. Stephens, Stephenson, Tucker are 3 that come to mind who offer no resistance at all. Our tackling numbers are pretty alarming as a team and it's becoming a serious issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back