Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Was kinda hoping to see some of the stuff we did in the 1st half of last week. Instead it was free kicks against & 50m penalties. So many too....like wtf going on!?!?!? I know it'll change over time but we seem to continue to put on these average/poor performances on Good Friday.

LDU being shut out early didn't help.

Curtis's start to the year has been very good.

Perhaps I watch a different game to everyone else today, but I am actually not too disappointed by what I saw, despite the final margin

Unlike the last 2 to 3 years, when teams have got on top of us, they have absolutely blown us away. There was a different feel to things today. The boys did not capitulate like they have in recent times, but instead they kept fighting on. They showed real endeavour right throughout and I came away thinking we are on the right track.

Bear in mind today they copped it badly from the umpires. The free kick differential was around 12 and to top it off, Carlton received 6, yes 6, 50 metre penalties, some of which resulted in easy goals that otherwise would not have happened.

The AFL has a huge problem with the standard of umpiring. It gets worse every year and they do nothing about if.
The 50s were there, we gotta get smarter and more disciplined. Larkey nearly gave 2 others away and almost a reversal.

A couple of my personal favourites happen to be;

Carlton player ducks his head, runs straight at Sheez head first and ploughs straight into his abdomen like a raging bull. Not only did the Carlton player duck his head, Sheez (somehow incredibly) tackled him around the elbows/triceps area and went nowhere near his head or neck area.. umpires call: HEAD HIGH TACKLE = free kick on goal.

Larkey and McKay nominate ruck in Carlton forward line. Ball gets tossed up and Larkey looks for body contact as McKay caught out of position. As McKay hits Larkey's body and they contest the ball.. umpires call: BLOCKING THE OPPOSING RUCKMAN = free kick on goal.

Both our players (rightfully so and uncharacteristically) went spare on the maggots.

Absolutely ******* disgraceful!!!!

Yep..watching on tv could see both players not happy with call….Nick to the point he continued for a period of time afterwards….for him to actually crack it you knew it must have been ordinary.
commentary team from memory watched replay…sounded a bit embarrassed…and l think mentioned it’s not the first time we have seen “questionable decisions” go against us today..richo was the more vocal of how absurd it was….
That questioning of decisions during commentary happened a few times during the call.
..but then they just moved onto the next phase of play..

We need to replace the following if are wanting to play finals on the foreseeable horizon:

• Stephenson (an actual pressure crumbing forward)
  • Stephens (another wing that runs both ways)
  • Tucker (a running utility)
  • McDonald (Hardeman)
  • Fisher (a running halfback that can actually defend)
  • Pink (w. Dawson)
Tough on Fisher. He's been in our best players two weeks in a row.

You also forgot Corr.

The 50s were there, we gotta get smarter and more disciplined. Larkey nearly gave 2 others away and almost a reversal.
Not all 6 surely? Idk it’s easy to get worked up when you’re part of an angry home crowd, no doubt we were a bit sloppy but at the ground the umpiring was just awful. It ruined the flow of the game, and that scumbag club didn’t just have the rub of the green but literally got every slightly iffy call while we got bugger all.

Was there an obvious throw in our coast to coast goal in the third? Cos #25 ignored a huge throw in the third that was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! Do I need to talk to my psych/see an optometrist or was that genuinely some of the worst umpiring people can remember?

I don’t feel like I’ve sat here on a Good Friday
(or any Friday)
(or, you know, any post-Sunday twilight)

…and thought to myself, “gee, we got the rub of the green today. Cripes, we shouldn’t have won by 12 goals but I’ll take it. Gee our defence looked good. Wow, that was an inspired coaching move that flipped the whole game”.

Nah, I reckon my football experience for at least 7 years has been as about as enthralling and life-affirming as living in Wittenoom.

All i can do is laugh.
Might watch some WWE. Yknow - a sport that isn’t rigged with predetermined results

This feeling is so ballz.
No nourishment ever.

Perhaps I watch a different game to everyone else today, but I am actually not too disappointed by what I saw, despite the final margin

Unlike the last 2 to 3 years, when teams have got on top of us, they have absolutely blown us away. There was a different feel to things today. The boys did not capitulate like they have in recent times, but instead they kept fighting on. They showed real endeavour right throughout and I came away thinking we are on the right track.

Bear in mind today they copped it badly from the umpires. The free kick differential was around 12 and to top it off, Carlton received 6, yes 6, 50 metre penalties, some of which resulted in easy goals that otherwise would not have happened.

The AFL has a huge problem with the standard of umpiring. It gets worse every year and they do nothing about if.
No doubt the boys stuck at it the entire match and you could see how much it meant to them to stop the run ons.
We're just dont have the cattle for the top sides yet or they're too young.
Theres probably 2 goals via umps, 2 goals from 50s that many times wouldnt be paid (some would be paid) and 2 goals better in defense with Logue, Goater and Bergman.
We still lose given it was 9 goals but we do have plenty of upside. That said they still have Walsh to come back and the toweled up our mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to replace the following if are wanting to play finals on the foreseeable horizon:

• Stephenson (an actual pressure crumbing forward)
  • Stephens (another wing that runs both ways)
  • Tucker (a running utility)
  • McDonald (Hardeman)
  • Fisher (a running halfback that can actually defend)
  • Pink (w. Dawson)
Im hopeful all those guys come good and they're far from duds.
Maybe the 2 Stephs have to battle it out for a wing spot.
Harvey in for the forward spot
Logue, Goater (yes next year of course) and Bergman for the others.
Consider Simpkin back there as well because he sure cant kick for goals.

The Aiden Corr recruitment and its consequences have been a disaster for the North Melbourne Football Club
Obviously im missing something based on the likes you got, what consequences are we talking about?
We didnt trade for him, so it cant be that.

Obviously im missing something based on the likes you got, what consequences are we talking about?
We didnt trade for him, so it cant be that.
He's adapting a quote from Ted Kazynski's manifesto, it's most famous line: The industrial revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

I don’t feel like I’ve sat here on a Good Friday
(or any Friday)
(or, you know, any post-Sunday twilight)

…and thought to myself, “gee, we got the rub of the green today. Cripes, we shouldn’t have won by 12 goals but I’ll take it. Gee our defence looked good. Wow, that was an inspired coaching move that flipped the whole game”.

Nah, I reckon my football experience for at least 7 years has been as about as enthralling and life-affirming as living in Wittenoom.

All i can do is laugh.
Might watch some WWE. Yknow - a sport that isn’t rigged with predetermined results

This feeling is so ballz.
No nourishment ever.
Aye

In my 40 odd years of watching North I reckon that is the worst backline we have ever put on the park.

Forward line only marginally better.

And the midfield group, although everyone keeps talking them up, we’ve just seen them overpowered by a stronger, bigger and taller opposition.

And watching the reserves today there isn’t much in the way of backup as Phillips certainly ain’t it.

Our ruck stocks consist of Xerri, Free (who will be delisted) and an 18 year old stick.

CCJ now out for the year which will likely finish his career with North.

Stephenson should also have his contract terminated. Guy is a front running cat.

Yes there are positives but still a hell of a lot of holes to fill.
Good work Brady!

Just finished watching the replay....and the umpiring didn't improve, absolutely shocking calls.

Leading into the game, not bringing in Comben or Biggie was a mistake for either Corr, Pink or Dawson was a selection mistake as we gave way too much height to a McKay or Curnow...Joey and Hipwood don't get any smaller either.

But l don't put too much blame on the back 6 as the midfield just did not apply enough defensive pressure on the oppo. Sure, we look grouse when we play the overlap and attacking but defensively, our zonal and defensive positioning across the ground is just plain horrible.

Players are too closely spaced guarding some unknown space whilst their opponents are far more spreadout, line astern as if they are conducting a search or pressing a high line that is ineffective as a turnover and all it takes is a 2-3 players to over commit and out she goes.

Whilst we look good when it comes to playing the overlap when attacking, we are too much of a down the line side and in particular, really struggled to move the ball off half back just due to a lot of players being too static and generally, not offering any genuine leads or targets almost conceding that that Carlton's zonal defensive spacing is too good.

Zuhaar, Stephenson and Duursma as a forward line trio is not working...drop two and bring in Ford to start and Sellers.

If Simpkin is going to spend 50% in the forward, he has to kick those goals in fact, where we are as a team, we have to kick those easy goals.

The talent is there but it's a question of how long before this playing group wants to work harder defensively around the ground because having lack of genuine KPD is a total cop out from what l saw today and last week.

The only great thing to come out of this match and this year so far is that l thought l was going into to JB Hifi tomorrow and buy a new TV and it's been a long time since l've had this feeling watching this team in the last 4 years...the feeling that we should be better than that and had a chance.

Smells like 2023 without the two early season wins.

Umpiring was a s**t show and continues to be why I only watch 1x AFL game a week.

Our 'senior players' are by far the worst in the comp.

Carlton supporters are absolutely the worst in the league. Yes, more so than *.

Colby, Sheez and Xerri were good.

Zurhaar is losing future earnings by the week.

Carey would have kicked 10000 goals if he got service like Curnow.

Been a mad Roos fan my entire life and that will never change. Me and the old man have been members and going to games for 35 years and now my own kids are coming along which is cool. Like everyone, I’m frustrated with the last 5 years and the fact that I don’t feel the same excitement walking into the ground that I used to feel 10 years ago due to performances. Umpiring yesterday was bad as I can remember but as everyone knows, it’s not the reason we lost. I do miss the days when we’d go in and belt a team like Carlton and send them home licking their wounds. But I genuinely believe it will change. In a few years time, these margins will be reversed and they’ll be the ones bleating. Luckily I’m a patient person! The players to take us back up are mostly there. There will be adjustments and changes over the years but that group of Sheez, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duurs, etc are the foundation. My only worry is that these guys might not stay at the club. I know it’s frustrating for them so I hope they don’t get sick of it and leave like McKay did. It’s imperative that we keep these guys together, and in time they will all rise up.

Totally agree with most of the above player assessments, esp Corr, Stephenson and Tucker, they are all terrible and would appreciate never seeing them again in blue and white.

What's also not helping is the lack of pressure, like, at all. Across the 3 games we have laid 40 less tackles than our opponents, and lost the tackle count each time. Last night Carlton laid 20 more than us. We are soft, too small and don't apply any pressure. Change 2 or 3 players for sure but this is still a glaring problem for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back