BBL Game 4 Melbourne Renegades v Perth Scorchers 1845hrs @ Kardinia Park

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No - one section is clearly affected more than the rest - this makes it dangerous / unplayable - 3 FC cricketers on commentary (acknowledging they have to put a positive spin on things) noted concerns from the start - then once it was called off we’re pretty open that it was not fit for play

I was watching Fox, Vaughan seemed fairly reluctant to join in with the ‘you can’t play’ angle.

There will very rarely be a pitch played on that is always going to have all parts of the pitch playing the same way.

What do you think foot marks are?

(No I am not trying to say footmarks are as likely to impact on player safety)

Renegades come over to Perth on Dec 26th . Make them play a double header on Boxing Day over in Perth.

That seems like the simple solution .
I have tickets to this game.

Make It So Star Trek GIF

I was watching Fox, Vaughan seemed fairly reluctant to join in with the ‘you can’t play’ angle.

There will very rarely be a pitch played on that is always going to have all parts of the pitch playing the same way.

What do you think foot marks are?

(No I am not trying to say footmarks are as likely to impact on player safety)
Not even close to similar - one area - on a good length at one end - sorry I wasn’t listening to Vaughan he was more passed off about the covers, which is fair enough - Brayshaw, Ponting and Maxwell were all consistent that it was unfit for play - I reckon they’d know. FWIW I walked off in a Semi Final last year were the pitch did the same - we were 3/5 after 5 overs

I don’t even think it’s the ‘back in my day’ factor that makes this a bit more than just a straight out ‘hey it’s obviously dangerous’ argument.

It’s the format.

I watched a highlights package again this morning and again while it was obviously not easy to bat on, if that was the first morning in overcast conditions at the Bullring in white clothes with a red ball against Steyn and Philander and Morkel you would probably just say ‘well good luck for the next few hours’ and sit back and watch on in fascination as batsmen employed the entire crease, left the ball alone a lot, played as late as they could, and tried to get their front pad outside the line of the stumps if possible as much as they could.

Because it’s a t20 game and all the batsman wants to do is walk towards the thing and thrash it, any subtlety is exaggerated tenfold; the idea of self-preservation is almost a last resort, there seems to be a pervading feeling of ‘well why should a batsman have to learn evasive skills or worry about having to play the moving ball or occasionally unexpectedly bouncing one.’

I dunno, I don’t feel like it’s a ‘back in my day’ view, I feel like it’s a pretty acceptable ‘until the ball is pretty obviously just flying into unplayable territory every other delivery, the onus should be on the batsmen to try and find a method’ view
The issue with this particular pitch was that it was damaged due to leaking covers - this would mean that as the match went on there was fair chance that the water affected areas would get worse as divots etc appeared and due to the evening conditions, it wouldn’t likely dry at all. On a green top in South Africa, playing g a day time match you would expect the pitch to flatten a bit over time. Having said that, there are times where damage to pitches has resulted in an abandoned test - England in the WI in the early 90s - Sabina?

The issue with this particular pitch was that it was damaged due to leaking covers - this would mean that as the match went on there was fair chance that the water affected areas would get worse as divots etc appeared and due to the evening conditions, it wouldn’t likely dry at all. On a green top in South Africa, playing g a day time match you would expect the pitch to flatten a bit over time. Having said that, there are times where damage to pitches has resulted in an abandoned test - England in the WI in the early 90s - Sabina?

Yeah that’s the obvious one that comes to mind and it was legitimately dangerous balls were flying all over the place

At a bare minimum they should've just put the game first and both teams agree to bowl spin for the rest of the night. Massive spit in the face to the crowd who gave up their night to rock up and watch the match. I wouldn't be returning if I was treated like that.

Not even close to similar - one area - on a good length at one end - sorry I wasn’t listening to Vaughan he was more passed off about the covers, which is fair enough - Brayshaw, Ponting and Maxwell were all consistent that it was unfit for play - I reckon they’d know. FWIW I walked off in a Semi Final last year were the pitch did the same - we were 3/5 after 5 overs

But where was the evidence of this?

Yeah I get it there was a wet patch on one particular spot at one end of the pitch - that’s not an uncommon issue (the wet aspect yes, the ‘uniquely different to the rest of the pitch’ part no) and until it starts happening all the time it seems to me like they’ve almost said ‘well this COULD be dangerous so we’ll shitcan it.’

On the evidence I saw, there was one delivery an over from that end, which was four overs, that beat the bat or took an edge, none of which were played with an express desire to just defend (ie the batsman was on the walk), and the ball that ballooned was just swung at blindly.

I do understand, I do, that there is extra care taken, I just can’t see how they can justify staging a professional tournament and a) having this happen in the first place but b) having these guys call themselves professional cricketers without at least being able to have their techniques tested to the point where 3-4 deliveries that jag sideways slowly and 1 delivery that pops is enough to abandon the game.

But where was the evidence of this?

Yeah I get it there was a wet patch on one particular spot at one end of the pitch - that’s not an uncommon issue (the wet aspect yes, the ‘uniquely different to the rest of the pitch’ part no) and until it starts happening all the time it seems to me like they’ve almost said ‘well this COULD be dangerous so we’ll shitcan it.’

On the evidence I saw, there was one delivery an over from that end, which was four overs, that beat the bat or took an edge, none of which were played with an express desire to just defend (ie the batsman was on the walk), and the ball that ballooned was just swung at blindly.

I do understand, I do, that there is extra care taken, I just can’t see how they can justify staging a professional tournament and a) having this happen in the first place but b) having these guys call themselves professional cricketers without at least being able to have their techniques tested to the point where 3-4 deliveries that jag sideways slowly and 1 delivery that pops is enough to abandon the game.
Channel 7 feed was clear an equivocal - the section was highlighted and noticeably darker - Maddison’s comment at the toss was the wicket is “drenched”

I respect the decision to abandon the game, but for the sake of the fans, would the captain's and umpires been open to a "hits and giggles" game with tennis balls?
Absolutely nothing at stake, just fun and entertainment.

I have tickets to this game.

Make It So Star Trek GIF
I dont think anyone in the competition would begrudge Perth and the Renegades from doing that.(play two games in Perth) If they are going to enforce make the decision within the next 3-4 days though. The losers out of last night were: Renegades, Perth, Cricket Australian, television viewers . In a 40 game season you dont want to be missing any games especially ones where the control was down to the groundsman.

I have to agree with Vaughan (wasnt listening to the Foxsports commentary), simple solution was to have extra covers:

Just a bit of common sense.

And for the Renegades members , a fair deal would be to give them a free pass to the Melbourne derby at the MCG. And Geelong fans free train rides/tickets to the game.

Win win for all parties.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so then (hypothetically) if they were willing to reschedule this game, they should also reschedule the rained out Heat vs Strikers game from the previous night.

The Renegades have provided the following update regarding last night, including compensation for members:

The Melbourne Renegades again expresses its disappointment after Sunday night's match at GMHBA Stadium was abandoned due to water impacting the pitch and we know we share our disappointment with the many members and fans who attended the game, as well as all those who watched from home, expecting an exciting night of cricket.

At this stage, there are no plans to reschedule the fixture and both teams will each receive one point.

The Melbourne Renegades reinforces its unwavering commitment to the Geelong region and to growing the club's already strong membership and fan base in the area.

In light of the events, the club has taken immediate action to ensure its members, fans and the general BBL public are accommodated.

All general public ticket purchasers will be fully refunded, while the following measures will apply to Melbourne Renegades members for the remainder of BBL|13:

• Geelong members will have an additional match entitlement added to their existing membership for the BBL|13 season to be utilised at Marvel Stadium.
  • Additionally, Geelong members will now also have access to our premium reserved member bays on Level 1
  • Attending 3 Game and Flexi members will also be credited an additional match at Marvel Stadium
  • Access Red and Champions Members will have access to the Stark Room (Level 2 Function Room) at Marvel Stadium for the entire season, providing access to a private cash bar and function area for our season members to enjoy watching the Renegades in style.

Back