Recommitted Ben King [extends contract to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the AFL is going to reimburse the QLD government for the remainder of their 20 year stadium contract. Couple of billion dollars.
haha is that not the best check mate to the naive southern media.

Didn't they trade out May in contract last year? Was it some sort of stand that if you don't want to be at the club they will move you on?.

Obviously Ben is different in that he is a first year player but if he is going to walk next year, grab what you can (assuming it's fair and reasonable) and develop another kid. No point putting time and resources into a kid who won't be there in a year in my opinion. Being contracted this year he will be at his highest value.

Didn't they trade out May in contract last year? Was it some sort of stand that if you don't want to be at the club they will move you on?.

Obviously Ben is different in that he is a first year player but if he is going to walk next year, grab what you can (assuming it's fair and reasonable) and develop another kid. No point putting time and resources into a kid who won't be there in a year in my opinion. Being contracted this year he will be at his highest value.

They still have one whole year to convince him to stay, I doubt he is one of those joined at the hip twins desperate to reunite with his sibling at St Kilda.

Trading Luko And King after one season gives the perception that they are feeder clubs to Southern State clubs. Under no circumstances will those two be traded this year, unless something really extraordinary happens

They still have one whole year to convince him to stay, I doubt he is one of those joined at the hip twins desperate to reunite with his sibling at St Kilda.

Trading Luko And King after one season gives the perception that they are feeder clubs to Southern State clubs. Under no circumstances will those two be traded this year, unless something really extraordinary happens
Whilst I agree I don't think it will happen, they absolutely are those joined at the hip twins from my understanding. Never played footy in a team away from Max until his Sun's debut. Saints diehard who is pretty desperate to come home to be back with family.

Whilst I agree I don't think it will happen, they absolutely are those joined at the hip twins from my understanding. Never played footy in a team away from Max until his Sun's debut. Saints diehard who is pretty desperate to come home to be back with family.

To trade in Ben will cost the Saints ..for trade outs and then what it costs to get him in ... I dont think he fits your list atm..

Last edited:
Will cost a heap this year, and even the same next year.

Can’t see GC lifting off the bottom next season so pay up or they’ll let him go to the draft & select him again haha

Unless St Kilda are thinking of moving on some key forwards then the list manager should be removed immediately if they are targeting ben king.

I get the sentiment getting both of the twins, but St Kilda seem absolutely stacked in key positions across the park. Bruce, M.King, Membrey, McCartin (obviously question marks on him), Marshall (expected to play more forward time) are already too many highly rated players to all play in the same forward line. Carlisle and Battle are a decent starting point as key defenders and st kilda probably dont need to spend too much if they want to play a 3rd tall defender.

Huge question marks on the longevity and future of Steven and Hannerbury. It's the midfield that should be priority A, B and C.

Brad Hill is a good start but it needs to be more than that. Another top line inside ball winner needs to be found.

Without a second rounder already and their first pick seemingly involved in any brad hill trade they wont have the trade assets nor the need to make a move on Ben King.

Collingwood is probably the victorian club in most dire need for a key forward and at the moment they probably dont have the cap space.

Melbourne, WB, Geelong, I can see being the ones who might have the room and assets (geelong with the kelly trade), to make a move if he wants out now.
We’d absolutely have the cap space for someone like King, but we don’t have the currency. We could trade our 2020 first and a player like Thomas (GC local) but I doubt that would be close to enough to satisfy them.

We’d absolutely have the cap space for someone like King, but we don’t have the currency. We could trade our 2020 first and a player like Thomas (GC local) but I doubt that would be close to enough to satisfy them.
Wouldn't matter, he is not interested in being coached by a guy who has achieved no team success in his life,wants to be a saint,you will see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't matter, he is not interested in being coached by a guy who has achieved no team success in his life,wants to be a saint,you will see
Yes, he’d much rather go to a club that has achieved no success in his lifetime.

Considering he as a raw undeveloped forward has already almost single handedly won his team a game, I rate his value as higher than when he was first drafted.

If we then add in a trade for this year (contracted), and that a team like the Saints would love him (Bruce older than most think at 27, Membrey good but undersized, McCartin potentially done) it'd have to be a huge trade to take him off the Suns I think.

Lukosius would be cheaper on the trade table for me to put it into perspective.

Unless you actually get pick 1 PP it makes sense to me if he wants out.

Grab two quality kids that are mates with 1 and 2.

Just like you should have done last year with the two twins.

If they get the two twins they only get 1 of Lukiosus and Rankine, quality kids that are mates...they couldn't take all 4

Really should've drafted both Kings at 2 and 3, even if it meant no Luko or Rankine or both - they'll probably end up back in SA anyway.

Of course, if we had drafted the 2 Kings at 2 and 3 , everyone would be have called us incompetent for not drafting the best players available. Which were Lukosious and Rankine.

Also, anyone who thinks we should have drafted the Kings instead of the 2 players we had rated higher on our board b/c we had a better chance to retain them, can you go to the "Suns to ask for Pick 1" thread and put in a vote of support. We are trying to get both Rowell and Anderson since they are best mates and more likely to stay. Thanks for agreeing to the extra difficulty we face in retaining interstate players in a non-AFL state.

Of course, if we had drafted the 2 Kings at 2 and 3 , everyone would be have called us incompetent for not drafting the best players available. Which were Lukosious and Rankine.

Also, anyone who thinks we should have drafted the Kings instead of the 2 players we had rated higher on our board b/c we had a better chance to retain them, can you go to the "Suns to ask for Pick 1" thread and put in a vote of support. We are trying to get both Rowell and Anderson since they are best mates and more likely to stay. Thanks for agreeing to the extra difficulty we face in retaining interstate players in a non-AFL state.

Unfortunately until you become a genuine top 8 side, you're going to have many decent players go home or get poached. Some players also just have a desire to play in front of big crowds. Maybe the club needs to change tact. Getting Rowell/Anderson together may help. As would targeting those out of non-AFL team states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back