Hawthorn
Racism
Harry McKay
News relating to any of the above

What you may not do in this thread:

Troll
Abuse other posters
Anything else that breaks the following set(s) of rules:

We're entering a very busy period on this board with the draft and player movement periods fast approaching.

Us board mods have a lot on our plates and whilst we do not want to, we are not going to hesitate to infract or hand out board bans for repeat offenders. Please do not force our hands here.

Thank you.

Sure, but Roos are being given an unprecedented number of compensation picks... compared to other sides who have been in a similar position.

West Coast have been poor for sometime too. Kelly never won the Brownlow... that would be the ex-Crow. ;)
Can you point out the comparison to "other sides who have been in a similar position".

There's a priority pick list around that kinda doesn't paint the picture you do.

AFL should have just given North pick one or 2 and be done with it.....much like they have with Melb, Pies, Blues, Saints, Freo, Bulldogs, Hawks, Richmond, West Coast, Gold Coast......have I missed anyone?

Can you point out the comparison to "other sides who have been in a similar position".

There's a priority pick list around that kinda doesn't paint the picture you do.

AFL should have just given North pick one or 2 and be done with it.....much like they have with Melb, Pies, Blues, Saints, Freo, Bulldogs, Hawks, Richmond, West Coast, Gold Coast......have I missed anyone?
There have been other clubs who have performed poorly who have got no or very low compensation picks compared to the Roos, who have been rewarded more this year for incompetency.

This year you have been given a 1st round, 2nd round & 3rd round compo (the latter 2 had to be traded last year - to Freo as futures)

Next year you have been given 2x1st round picks.

This is unprecedented number of compensation picks.

Sure, but Roos are being given an unprecedented number of compensation picks... compared to other sides who have been in a similar position.

West Coast have been poor for sometime too. Kelly never won the Brownlow... that would be the ex-Crow. ;)
Not really. Our assistance package picks are all in the 20s.

Whereas, most other compensation picks to Hawks,Pies,Richmond, Melbourne etc etc were pick 1 or 2.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Not really. Our assistance package picks are all in the 20s.

Whereas, most other compensation picks to Hawks,Pies,Richmond, Melbourne etc etc were pick 1 or 2.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
5 picks though!

& AFL have been generous providing pick #3 compo for McKay, which you wouldn't get anywhere near for him if were a trade.

This is a heck of a leg up.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon:

"The compensation formula is based on Ben's age and also what his guaranteed payments are underneath that," he said.

"It's a clear formula and whatever the formula decides is what the answer is, and we'll be comfortable with that."

Dillon said compensation picks are part of equalising the competition.

"At the moment, the compensation will stay and that's part of the agreement that we've got with the Players Association."

AFL's lawyer of the last 10 years says "trust us".

The dodgiest part of this is the player salaries used to compare McKay's salary against were not based on the new CBA, even though Essendon's offer absolutely includes the CBA.

Salaries will go up 20% over the next couple of years.

AFL's lawyer of the last 10 years says "trust us".

The dodgiest part of this is the player salaries used to compare McKay's salary against were not based on the new CBA, even though Essendon's offer absolutely includes the CBA.

Salaries will go up 20% over the next couple of years.

Sounds like this is a good year to overpay a FA then, because while everyone else's salary will go up, the FA contract will be locked in.

5 picks though!

& AFL have been generous providing pick #3 compo for McKay, which you wouldn't get anywhere near for him if were a trade.

I think you need to go back and have a look at what Carlton, Melbourne and Hawthorn got especially. They both got multiple top 3 picks, which is far better than a bunch of picks that will end up well into the 20’s.

The AFL haven’t been generous with the compensation pick. Essendon are paying McKay an amount that nets North band 1. How are people not getting this? It’s also completely separate to any assistance we get.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There have been other clubs who have performed poorly who have got no or very low compensation picks compared to the Roos, who have been rewarded more this year for incompetency.

This year you have been given a 1st round, 2nd round & 3rd round compo (the latter 2 had to be traded last year - to Freo as futures)

Next year you have been given 2x1st round picks.

This is unprecedented number of compensation picks.
Come on, seriously??
Last year was embarrassing, those futures……granted we managed to get Logue, but we are paying him a fortune and that remains to be seen if a panacea of assistance.
This year, 19 and 2 Future “End of first round” which are essentially 2nd round picks dressed up as firsts. They ain’t first round picks. Complete joke to call them that.
As I said, we should have received what others have……1, 2 or 3, but nah “ integrity of the draft blah blah”.
The number of them means nothin, we should have received a top pick. People are just bleating because we got the BenMac compo, so we end up with 2 and 3.
Different rules because it’s North.
Let’s not forget the dodgy deal that saw Horne Francis leave after 1 year to Port and Port only. Nothin suss there. We end up with pick 14 this year, Port’s first, but that also gets included in our “unprecedented number of picks“ too in majority of media garbage.
Why don’t you google the list of priority picks handed out over the years, it’ll blow your mind. It did mine.

5 picks though!

But it wasn’t a trade. It was FA compensation, of which 3 clubs offered him 800K/year-ish.
They change the rules? I feel like this one has been around for 10 years.

But it wasn’t a trade. It was FA compensation, of which 3 clubs offered him 800K/year-ish.
They change the rules? I feel like this one has been around for 10 years.
So if it wasn’t the thing it was we wouldn’t have gotten the thing we did.

Guess we’re just lucky it wasn’t what it wasn’t.

But it is a good thing for us that it is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 picks though!

Would you prefer 20, 20, 21 and a future 2nd and third that had to be traded over a 4 year period.

Or

Pick 2 and pick 3 like the hawks got over a 2 year period?

Good result for all involved, the Bombers get themselves a spud and oh boy he's a spud. I've carried the spud candle since the day he turned up at the club. Tried him in the ruck, didn't like it. Tried him fwd, no didn't like it.
Likes to be unaccountable down back. He's a brute of a man, worth every penny if he could play fwd and swing into the ruck.

As was said about him at North, he's good at guarding grass.

""

Good result for all involved, the Bombers get themselves a spud and oh boy he's a spud. I've carried the spud candle since the day he turned up at the club. Tried him in the ruck, didn't like it. Tried him fwd, no didn't like it.
Likes to be unaccountable down back. He's a brute of a man, worth every penny if he could play fwd and swing into the ruck.

As was said about him at North, he's good at guarding grass.

""
I think you’re way too harsh on him but I did get a chuckle when the hawks were into him and there was talk he would be played forward.

That was funny

I think you’re way too harsh on him but I did get a chuckle when the hawks were into him and there was talk he would be played forward.

That was funny

Mate I've been more than kind over the long seven years we had that dud on our list. It is a watershed day, we got pick 3 for Magoo.

Averages 10 disposals, 4.6 marks and 33 shoulder slumps per game. He just isn't much chop.

McKay's contract would be done based on the CBA. So it would lock in the increases.

Nah it doesn't. Free agents signed this period don't see CBA increases.

To be honest I'm not sure why, but it's something I've heard mentioned a few times now.

To be honest I'm not sure why, but it's something I've heard mentioned a few times now.
No, it's that any % increase for the CBA doesn't affect the compensation. At least that's the way I read it.

Bombers happy?

Clearly getting desperate as McKay is simply not that good.
It's the (poor) market value that dictates what McKay is paid.

According to this Herald Sun article back in June but McKay is paid more than Charlie Curnow, Steven May & Jake Lever, Tom Stewart, Harris Andrews, Oscar Allen, Harry McKay and Sam Taylor.

Market says you need to pay more to get a player away from selling players club (North Melbourne) so I. am somewhat ok with paying overs for a player that is a genuine KPD not an Essington special pseudo KPP we love. McKay is 202cm and 104kg, something we haven't had since we lost Cale Hooker back in 2017.

On top of this, we are paying known quantities at AFL level (Gresham, McKay, Goldstein and even Duursma), and not overpaying spuds that don't deserve the wages they would want. Easier to move on as salary dumps if we sign players to shorter but bigger contracts (Goldstein and Gresham in particular).

Come on, seriously??
Last year was embarrassing, those futures……granted we managed to get Logue, but we are paying him a fortune and that remains to be seen if a panacea of assistance.
This year, 19 and 2 Future “End of first round” which are essentially 2nd round picks dressed up as firsts. They ain’t first round picks. Complete joke to call them that.
As I said, we should have received what others have……1, 2 or 3, but nah “ integrity of the draft blah blah”.
The number of them means nothin, we should have received a top pick. People are just bleating because we got the BenMac compo, so we end up with 2 and 3.
Different rules because it’s North.
Let’s not forget the dodgy deal that saw Horne Francis leave after 1 year to Port and Port only. Nothin suss there. We end up with pick 14 this year, Port’s first, but that also gets included in our “unprecedented number of picks“ too in majority of media garbage.
Why don’t you google the list of priority picks handed out over the years, it’ll blow your mind. It did mine.

You were in the exact same spot as us in 2020. Why should you be rewarded for incompetence?

The contract surely is written in a way that it will take it into account. So whatever the offer actually was - because Im sure the media may be close but I doubt they ever get it right - I am sure it has been factored in.

If not it is saying that McKay will be earning well over $900k in 2 years based on the $800k which has been discussed, and the $5m over 6 years ends up being $6m.

What's your point about Judd exactly?
Is this not correct? This comes up with priority picks search:

The Eagles have a good record when using priority picks, selecting future Brownlow medallist and premiership captain Chris Judd (pick No.3) in 2003 while nabbing captain Luke Shuey (pick No. 18) in 2008 and Jack Darling (pick No. 26) after they claimed their first wooden spoon in 2010

Back