Hawthorn
Racism
Harry McKay
News relating to any of the above

What you may not do in this thread:

Troll
Abuse other posters
Anything else that breaks the following set(s) of rules:

We're entering a very busy period on this board with the draft and player movement periods fast approaching.

Us board mods have a lot on our plates and whilst we do not want to, we are not going to hesitate to infract or hand out board bans for repeat offenders. Please do not force our hands here.

Thank you.

I’d go a step further and say that restricted FAs don’t deserve any compo.

You literally hold all the cards and have the opportunity to keep the guy, and if not then someone overpaid (based on your value of him) and you get the cap space instead.

I can understand the concept behind an unrestricted bloke in his prime leaving a bottom side in the lurch with nothing, but Mckays compo incentivised North pushing him out the door rather than actively looking to keep him which defeats the whole purpose.
Yeah, that's another option. I guess my thinking is that if they're going to keep the compo they should at least reduce it so it doesn't deliver ridiculous outcomes like this one.

The other thing is, while I agree that a club that's not prepared to match a bid doesn't really deserve to be compensated, removing compo altogether will likely mean clubs match bids much more often, effectively negating the free agency for many players. Maybe that's not a huge problem, but the AFLPA won't like it.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon:

"The compensation formula is based on Ben's age and also what his guaranteed payments are underneath that," he said.

"It's a clear formula and whatever the formula decides is what the answer is, and we'll be comfortable with that."

Dillon said compensation picks are part of equalising the competition.

"At the moment, the compensation will stay and that's part of the agreement that we've got with the Players Association."

and what happens when say the flag winners from the previous year offer big bucks to take away your best player when you're bottom of the table ?
Would you not want some compensation for that ?
Well yeah you should be well compensated for your best player. Mckay isn't anywhere near your best player though lol.

"NEW AFL boss Andrew Dillon is on-board with the compensation pick North Melbourne has received for Ben McKay and says the system is here to stay."

Should be fired already. Someone sue this campaigner.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon:

"The compensation formula is based on Ben's age and also what his guaranteed payments are underneath that," he said.

"It's a clear formula and whatever the formula decides is what the answer is, and we'll be comfortable with that."

Dillon said compensation picks are part of equalising the competition.

"At the moment, the compensation will stay and that's part of the agreement that we've got with the Players Association."
Is it really equalisation though when you factor in priority pick packages?

Yeah, that's another option. I guess my thinking is that if they're going to keep the compo they should at least reduce it so it doesn't deliver ridiculous outcomes like this one.

The other thing is, while I agree that a club that's not prepared to match a bid doesn't really deserve to be compensated, removing compo altogether will likely mean clubs match bids much more often, effectively negating the free agency for many players. Maybe that's not a huge problem, but the AFLPA won't like it.

If free agency compensation continues I think removing it for restricted free agents is a good start. Both North and us have happily let McKay and Doedee go, knowing that the a) value they’d get in a trade is far less than what they got for FA compo, and b) they’re not actually willing to pay the contract that has been offered.

Secondly, I think it should be a rule that the compo pick must be traded for a player who has been in the system for 4 or more years. Reason being is North have lost McKay, Clarko made a big song and dance about how losing an experienced player was going to effect them, if that’s true, how does pick 3 help them? But instead, if you’ve handed North pick 3, but they have to trade it, then clubs would be climbing over each other and North would get to pick whoever they liked best. If you’re smart you’d be able to plug that hole pretty easily.

Thirdly, the formula for FA compensation has to be made public. I know the AFLPA won’t like having players salaries made public, but at the moment when these bizarre decisions get made how are supporters supposed to think anything but that the AFL does whatever it wants?

Also, just in case anyone thinks this isn’t a manufactured result by the AFL:

“In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.”

The AFL wanted to give North 3 as a priority pick, but knew most clubs wouldn’t accept that.

McKay is just the convenient vessel they could send 3 to North in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Toby Pink 😎
Unless there is a different Toby Pink to the one I’ve watched closely many times I think you are in for a shock.
Your mids are pretty damn good though and it’s all about stopping delivery to the forwards so I think you will be just fine

You would think the Roos got the wooden spoon, whilst West Coast...
Won a premiership 5 years ago, traded the farm for a Brownlow medalist, top 5 three years ago and percentage out of the top 4 when they lost the elimination final by a point while having most of the comp hubbed in Queensland, then fell off the bandwagon through covid and haven’t been the same since.

Still have their premiership coach though, and somehow they’re not the most unfortunate AFL club in Perth in the last couple of years.

North seem to have an anchor tied to their feet, they were crap before and then this year lost their GOAT coach before the preseason even started, so makes sense they’d go hat in hand for assistance.

Won a premiership 5 years ago, traded the farm for a Brownlow medalist, top 5 three years ago and percentage out of the top 4 when they lost the elimination final by a point while having most of the comp hubbed in Queensland, then fell off the bandwagon through covid and haven’t been the same since.

Still have their premiership coach though, and somehow they’re not the most unfortunate AFL club in Perth in the last couple of years.

North seem to have an anchor tied to their feet, they were crap before and then this year lost their GOAT coach before the preseason even started, so makes sense they’d go hat in hand for assistance.
Which Brownlow Medalist are you referring to?

Sure, but Roos are being given an unprecedented number of compensation picks... compared to other sides who have been in a similar position.

West Coast have been poor for sometime too. Kelly never won the Brownlow... that would be the ex-Crow. ;)

Sure, but Roos are being given an unprecedented number of compensation picks... compared to other sides who have been in a similar position.
I think they’re trying to avoid giving top 10 picks as priority picks, so you get a handful of picks in the 20s spread over a few years, or extra rookie spots or access to a particular area for your academy.

Bonus point with Tassie coming into the system as well.

Did west coast ask for help? Last I checked they haven’t even sacked their coach
So you have to self sabotage
Incentives miss management
There’s a reason premier league brings in boat load of cash.
You play everyone home and away
If your mismanaged you’re out of the league.
If only….

Back